+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Guest 123 is offline Registered User

Hakim Arous :

Jeudi 1 Juillet 2010 -- Le suisse Valartis Group SA a vendu une part de 35,2% du projet de centre commercial de Bab Ezzouar, à l’est d’Alger. Sa part passe ainsi de 73,9 à 38,7%, a indiqué la société, jeudi 1er juillet, dans un communiqué, qui n'a pas expliqué sa décision ni donné d'autres détails financiers. Le centre commercial de Bab Ezzouar, à la fois zone de bureaux, de loisirs et de commerce, et qui doit ouvrir dans le courant de l'été après presque deux ans de retard, est le premier projet du genre en Algérie. C'est le groupe suisse Jelmoli qui est chargé de sa construction, en partenariat avec Valartis et Darsi Investment, actionnaires de la Société des Centres Commerciaux d'Algérie (SCCA).

Guest 123 is offline Registered User

April 14, 2011 -- A four-storey mall in Bab Ezzouar in Algeria offers all things ubiquitous—retail outlets, cafes, multiplex cinema and bowling alley—but it is a first for Algerians and they are flocking to it in droves. The mall, which opened in August last year, is a 70-million Euro joint venture of Swiss groups Valartis banking and Jelmoli, a department store operator. Based on the mall’s success, they said they were planning to build two more worth 80-million euros. “Our presence here confirms that the investment climate is positive. We have confidence in the authorities, especially in this sector. That’s why we want to continue,” said Alain Rolland, managing director of Valartis Asset Management in an interview with a South African newspaper. Algeria’s population of 35 million has one of the highest levels of income per capita in Africa but it is marred by internal conflicts; curbs on foreign investment have kept investors away. The Swiss group’s success in the Algerian retail market is likely to encourage others to invest as it shows confidence in Algeria’s security situation. The French group Carrefour attempted to break into Algeria’s retail sector with a local partner but was unsuccessful and pulled out the end of 2010. Investors have complained of strict measures that promote Algerian economic nationalism but authorities say they place these curbs as a way to protect national interests. But according to Euromonitor International, not all Algerians are excited by the new shopping experience. One café owner in Algiers was quoted as saying, “I don't think my customers will go there. That’s luxury, and my cafe isn't anything like that.” He added: “I have noticed that people are going to the shopping centre instead of the mosque.”