Algeria.com Discussion Forum - Powered by vBulletin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Guest 123 is offline Quarantined Users

Virus-killing water speeds wound healing

May 24, 2007 -- Researchers in California have developed a type of water which can speed up the healing of wounds by killing harmful bugs. The "super-oxidised" water contains reactive molecules which selectively kill free-floating viruses, fungi and bacteria while encouraging body cells to repair faster.

In one study, patients treated with the water plus an antibiotic healed, on average, in 43 days, according to New Scientist magazine. By comparison, those receiving standard treatment took 55 days to heal. The product, called Microcyn, is now undergoing patient trials in the UK and other EU countries, as well as in the US.

Tracey Kelly, care adviser at Diabetes UK, said: "The healing of wounds is a major problem for people with diabetes who do not have good blood glucose control or have circulatory problems. With 15% of foot ulcers resulting in lower limb amputation, Diabetes UK would welcome any safe, effective treatment."

Cheryl Bongiovanni, director of wound care at Lake District hospital in Lakeview, Oregon, has used Microcyn on some 1,000 diabetic patients with leg and foot wounds in the past 18 months. "When you spray it on, you see the treated tissue 'pink up' and go beefy, because the oxygen supply has resumed," she told New Scientist.

Microcyn contains electrically charged molecules which rapidly pierce the cell walls of free-living microbes and kill them. Human cells are spared because they are tightly bound together.

amalgamate is offline Registered User

Hyperbaric oxygen therapy helps gardener avoid wheelchair

When Susan Simpson's doctors told her she probably would have to spend her life in a wheelchair, the first thing she thought about was her flower garden.

Ms. Simpson, a homemaker from Acton, says she "nearly broke down and cried" when she realized that she might have to stop raising her beloved carnations and dahlias because of her looming disability.

"I love gardening and I really love to grow flowers," she says today, while describing the diabetes-related leg wound that nearly left her unable to walk a year ago. "Being told that I was going to lose my right leg above the knee was very disheartening."

For Ms. Simpson, who earlier had lost her right foot because of poor blood circulation, failure of the surgical leg wound to heal was crucially important. If her limb required amputation above the knee, Ms. Simpson wouldn't be able to wear a prosthetic limb. Instead, she would need a wheelchair.

"That would have been a terrible outcome for a gardener," she says. "Fortunately, one of my doctors suggested that I contact the Center for Wound Care at Lancaster Community Hospital [LCH]. My doctor there, Stanley Cowen, MD, suggested the hyperbaric oxygen therapy program."

Treatment at the Center

What followed was a year-long healing process where therapists at the Center for Wound Care treated Ms. Simpson by having her breathe 100 percent oxygen in a technologically advanced hyperbaric chamber. The oxygen helped speed the healing process for her wound.

Determined to succeed, Ms. Simpson spent two hours each day - five days a week - inside one of LCH's two hyperbaric chambers. "Being very claustrophobic, I wasn't thrilled with the idea, but if it meant I'd walk again, I'd try it," Ms. Simpson says.

Within a few weeks, her wound began to improve. It has healed to the point that Ms. Simpson soon will be fitted for a prosthetic leg.

"A courageous patient"

"Susan Simpson is a very courageous patient, and watching her do well was very gratifying," says Tom RoseHaley, CHT, Program Director at the Center for Wound Care. "Helping her achieve an outcome like that is a fantastic feeling.

"During the past couple of years, we've helped more than 2,000 patients recover from chronic wounds in the chambers. Patients can relax and listen to music or watch TV during their therapies."

Adds Ms. Simpson, who looks forward to another summer of gardening: "My therapy wasn't easy at times, but Tom and the other technicians at Lancaster Community Hospital worked very hard to help me.

"The staff was wonderful - and the results we accomplished are making a huge difference in my life."
    It seems as if one fails to conceive
    The meaning my name strives to achieve

To a biological form you cannot relate-
    Because a reproductive cell is a gamete not gamate!

It means to unite, -to become consolidated
    So without me in a.com, is there hope we'd be amalgamated?

Bent_Bladi is offline Registered User
    The technique sounds so simple... you'd think someone would have thought of this earlier....

Alhamdulilah it's available now

NEVER grow up
    Al Imran 147 - BE OPTIMISTIC!!
    your ≠ you’re

Cheba_Mami is offline Registered User
    mycrocyn i will remember the name.

sania is offline Registered User
    Take one litre of boiled water.
    Cool it to tepid temperature, about 40* C.
    Add 2 tsp of natural stone salt, (Not the processed free flowing salt)
    Agitate well, pour from raised right hand vessel to lower left hand vessel.
    Repeat 20 times.

What you have now is a wonderful "healing water"

Because, the sodium and chloride ions in Sodium Chloride, i.e natural salt, separate while agitating into charged positive & negative ions.

Ionised (electrified) water heals wounds faster by attracting, bonding to itself and killing bacteria by electrocuting them.

Try it.

Is the "Guardian" magazine reading this invention?

Sania that's the cutest way i've ever herd someone describe a bacteriocidal environment in a hypertonic solution!!

Habibity the ionised water doesn't electrify the bacteria- the process has nothing to do with electricity, although 'ionization' does have positive and negative charges. rather it has to do with osmotic pressure and concentration gradient between the solution within the bacteria and the solution outside the bacteria.

do this for me: get two small bowls and two small celary sticks.

add pure water to both bowls. don't fill them up all they -just enough to submerge a celary stick in each one. Only in one bowl, add a massive amount of salt and mix it well.

put a celary stick into each bowl and let them soak for about 10-15 minutes. After that take out the celary sticks and compare their physical properties.

you'll find the celary stick in the bowl with pure water is plump and crunchy while the celary stick in the bowl of salt water is soft
    and limp. In the latter bowl, all the natural juices from the celary stick got 'diffused' (or sucked) out into the salt water in the bowl leaving the celary stick shrivled looking and thinner than what it was originally.

That's what happenes to the bacteria in salt water. their liquid insides are sucked out of them and they can only shrivel up (like the celary) and die.

Here's a picture of blood cells in hypertonic solution and hypotonic solution.

Microcyn contains electrically charged molecules which rapidly pierce the cell walls of free-living microbes
    i'm trying to figure out what this phrase means...

here's another similar phrase: Called Microcyn, the key ingredient of the water are oxychlorine ions, which are electrically charged molecules that can pierce the cell walls of free-living microbes.

'super-oxidized water' ...'pierce cell walls'
    hmmmm...

i guess it can denature the cell wall and hinder it weak and broken, exposing the vulnerable plasma membrane underneath... and therefore killing the bacteria with... the super-oxidized water ?

-let me read more on experiments done with super-oxidized water and i'll get back ya.