+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Guest 123 is offline Registered User

Language Planning and Policy in Africa: Algeria, Cote D'Ivoire, Nigeria and Tunisia

"This volume covers the language situation in Algeria, Côte d'Ivoire, Nigeria and Tunisia, explaining the linguistic diversity, the historical and political contexts and the current language situation including language-in-education planning, the role of the media, the role of religion, and the roles of non-indigenous languages. The authors are indigenous and/or have been participants in the language planning context."

ksantina is offline Registered User
    Salam,

Oh gosh! I was tricked! I thought you posted the online version of the book! (sigh!)

w/salam

If you want to read the book online, then go ahead

Salam

I'm sure it's a limited preview. But I managed to have it a long time ago

How come you're posting so many issues on politics, languages, history, etc. EVERYDAY? It's time consuming I mean!

w/salam

It is true that posting takes up some time but here is a secret - I am actually working somewhere else so 'being here' is just another few open windows. It is possible for me to see readers' search terms, and so their areas of interest have indicated which topics they like to follow, and which threads to keep up-to-date.

The site may seem quiet, but in truth it now gets thousands - plural - of unique visitors every day. Many, many of them are Algerians in Algeria, who do not have strong English language skills, and so it is for their benefit that French language content has been increased.

The site has moved from being a playground for a small number of trolls to being a very useful resource for Algerians - in and out of Algeria - and for people interested in Algeria.

The increase in range and volume of topics and content now means that the site gets picked up very easily by various search engines. I know, because I have had many communications from them, that a large number of 'in Algeria' readers do not get constant or reliable Internet connections, that many only get around half an hour each day to surf online, and that having a 'one stop shop' that covers a wide range of subjects is useful for them. I also know, because I have had many communications from them, that Algerian students and teachers find the information and statistics here very helpful.

And while it is true that many of the posts are simply links to online Algerian media articles, in some cases DZ media 'kill their links' on a daily basis, and retrieving material from .pdf or other archives is only possible if someone is actually aware of the article they are looking for. In a sense, the site is a form of archive, a steadily growing 'work in progress'.

I am aware that some readers have found help for issues relating to their own or their children's illnesses, or work-related matters. I don't know who the person is from a Tropical Diseases Hospital in Germany, who carefully tracks the 'Leishmaniose en Algérie' thread - it could be an Algerian or simply a medical worker who might spot a name or establishment in Algeria and make a useful contact. Similarly, there is a thread containing contact numbers and addresses for Algerian women facing domestic violence - it has had thousands of reads, but no comments. If just one woman escaped the misery of a violent relationship through finding a contact point there, then the thread is as good as gold.

In brief, the range of posts are to offer information across a wide range of topics. It is a 'developmental thing' and the massive increase in daily visitors would seem to confirm that there is something of value for people surfing in here. In addition, the range of content also means that for many browsers there is no need to join and ask questions - the answers they seek are already here.

Of all VCI sites, Algeria.com is the most popular of all its 'virtual country' sites - the reason for that is that people are coming for content. So, there is a logic to adding to it and keeping it current, eh?

Salam,

Quote Originally Posted by Al-khiyal View Post
    w/salam

It is true that posting takes up some time but here is a secret - I am actually working somewhere else so 'being here' is just another few open windows.
    Your secret seems to be very secrative, because I haven't understood anything

When I asked the question, I was expecting an answer like: I'm using a search engine software (or google alerts, or else) which sends me links to the "key words" I precised the reason why I'm kept very updated and so is the forum in its different sections.

A part ça, yeah, the forum needs talkative people, active participating members sharing their own ideas. I have a question but I'll send it in the right section...

w/salam

I don't have any search engine alerts or software. I read hundreds of articles and post whatever seems relevant to existing threads, or create new ones. No need for software when sabr works just as well

As for what the forum 'needs' - that depends very much on how narrow or broad an idea of what a forum is actually for one holds, perhaps. I am not worried about 'making more people talk' or, given the history of 'chase me' games among the threads, abuse and idiocy that marred the site in times gone by, holding my breath awaiting deep and meaningful conversations in every thread. People are adults, they can dip in and out whenever they like, speak or not, come and go as they please. The number of daily visitors has risen in the last few years from tens to thousands, so presumably it is 'working' on some level for a lot of people. If more conversations and discussions erupted that would be a bonus, and insha'allah one day we'll get more talkative people who have interests above and beyond stalking women etc.