+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    phylay is offline Guest

Question Why Is Ouyahia Pushed To The Wayout

Both the FLN and MSP want him to resign and Boutef seems not to defend him. Why is that? will the coalition still stand after that?

http://www.lexpressiondz.com/T20060524/ZA4-0.htm

Guest 123 is offline Registered User

Algeria replaces premier

Abdelaziz Belkhadem was named prime minister

Algeria's president has dismissed his prime minister and replaced him with a loyal supporter, the president's office says.

The statement, carried by the official news agency APS on Wednesday, named Abdelaziz Belkhadem, who has served as President Abdelaziz Bouteflika's personal representative and held the rank of minister, as the new prime minister.

The move was widely expected ahead of parliamentary elections next year and after Ahmed Ouyahia, the outgoing prime minister, failed to attend formal ceremonies for visiting leaders in recent days.

Algerian newspapers had predicted Ouyahia's departure amid a political struggle between Bouteflika's National Liberation Front (FLN) and Ouyahia's Democratic National Rally (RND).

Out - Ahmed Ouyahia

The FLN, which dominates the parliament, had threatened to topple Ouyahia through a no-confidence vote in parliament if he did not resign or Bouteflika did not fire him.

The FLN accuses Ouyahia of not moving fast enough to tackle social issues such as widespread unemployment and poverty.

Ouyahia was due this week to address parliament to defend his political record, but speaker Amar Saadani, a senior FLN official, told the daily al Khabar on Wednesday: "We see no necessity for him (Ouyahia) to come to the parliament."

Wednesday's statement from the president's office did not name the outgoing premier, apparently underlining the political tension between the Bouteflika camp and Ouyahia.

Ouyahia had stood firm in the face of demands by politicians, media and trade unions to raise wages, arguing the economic climate was not healthy enough.

Commentators said the FLN, which is also represented in the government under Ouyahia, wants to focus on social issues ahead of elections and distances itself from the previous government, criticised for failing to solve the country's troubles despite soaring oil prices.

Ouyahia, 54, became the youngest Algerian prime minister when he was first appointed in 1995. He is widely respected for his management skills.

He quit late in 1998 before returning to lead the government in mid-2003 until his departure again on Wednesday.

Local commentators said his departure heralded a split of the country's political landscape into camps ahead of the 2007 parliamentary polls.

Ouyahia's RND formed an alliance with the FLN and moderate Islamists to cement support for Bouteflika's policy, which focuses on restoring peace after more than a decade of violence in which more than 150,000 people were killed.

Algeria plunged into violence early in 1992 when the authorities scrapped parliamentary polls that a now-banned radical Islamist party was poised to win.

Commentators said the departure of Ouyahia, whose secularist views clashed with his Islamist and conservative partners in the government he led, would be a loss for the anti-Islamist camp and a gain for the conservatives who cement their alliance with moderate Islamists.

"The presidential alliance is changing into a coalition between Islamists and conservatives," said the influential el Watan daily in a commentary.

Belkhadem said he was consulting other political groups to form a new government soon.

>>>Source<<<

phylay is offline Guest
    It's been now more than one week since the FLN and MSP launched their attacks against Ouyahia.
    Everybody thought he would be replaced by Abdelmalek Sellal. But well, having the leader of the majority party as a PM is just logic... But I am not sure it is good for the country.
    Ouyahia who is one of the best politicians in DZ did all the dirty work and now that the country has large money reserves and many projects are in track he gets fired....
    Some analysts suggest he got fired because he is against the constitution revision (allowing Boutef to be elligible for a third mandate and giving him broader powers)...

MrMeaner1 is offline Banned messenger kalb
    What's up Phylay?

What the hell is happening with this bull**** Belkhadem First Minister. I guess now the army has to intervene to block this frigging circus. I will say more later as we were having a discussion last night downtown Algiers. There is something going on guys.

MrMean

Abdu23 is offline Registered User
    I don't know how you guys are supprised by appointing (the loyal) belkhadem, it was the intention since a long time ago but the circumstances at the time did not allow him.

phylay is offline Guest
    Abdu,
    Well it's not a surprise given that Boutef wants a third mandate. But suppose if there was no third mandate, naming a potential candidate as a PM would only cut his wings....

saha MM,
    I'm fine thx, how r u doing? kesh mouvement in DZ?
    Local rumors do unfortunately not reach us here so I'm waiting any of your updates on this issue.
    I am not sure the military institution will do anything about it as it seems all Ouyahia's friends there are put hors etat de nuire!

MrMeaner1 is offline Banned messenger kalb
    Quote Originally Posted by phylay
    Abdu,
    Well it's not a surprise given that Boutef wants a third mandate. But suppose if there was no third mandate, naming a potential candidate as a PM would only cut his wings....

saha MM,
    I'm fine thx, how r u doing? kesh mouvement in DZ?
    Local rumors do unfortunately not reach us here so I'm waiting any of your updates on this issue.
    I am not sure the military institution will do anything about it as it seems all Ouyahia's friends there are put hors etat de nuire!
    Phylay,

I swear mouvement psychiatrique ici a Alger. I almost had a breakdown a week ago.
    El Mouhim, c'est Disneyland politiquement parle, et le pouvoir prends le peuple comme d'habitude a une bande de moutons.
    I guess the guy is looking for a 3rd mandate only to have presidential funerals. Ghir tbahdayal ta3 les dirigeants tawa3na. Rabi yasstar. I'll keep you updated with the local news. The Arabo Islamo Conservatives are back, now let's just wait fot Soltani to get the seat he deserves for obeying his masters.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast