+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Nectar77 is offline Registered User

Exclamation Earliest memories

They say children's brains are like sponges, they absorb everything and they have a large memory capacity, yet not everybody remembers a lot about their childhood, how come we only have memories from the ages of 4 onwards...?

What is your earliest memory, can you beat the odds and remember something from the cradle?
    Nectar77

MrMeaner1 is offline Banned messenger kalb
    Quote Originally Posted by Nectar77
    They say children's brains are like sponges, they absorb everything and they have a large memory capacity, yet not everybody remembers a lot about their childhood, how come we only have memories from the ages of 4 onwards...?

What is your earliest memory, can you beat the odds and remember something from the cradle?
    I remember the day I was born. I almost died

Quote Originally Posted by MrMeaner1
    I remember the day I was born. I almost died

I remember my first day at school and I have lots of memories from la Crèche! when we had our chocolate milk for breakfast and we played in the garden and even what activities we did in the classroom like drawing and paper cutting, I remember the tiny chairs we had to sit on and my end of year book that I had to take to my parents!! I find memories intriguing.
    Nectar77

k_s
    k_s is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Nectar77
    There is evidence that long term memory is never lost and there are no known limits for the capacity of the brain.

The problem is not with the information which is still there, but with the access paths to access this information. If these paths are not used often we tend to forget.

My guess is when we are young we are unlikely to think about what`s already happened (a.k.a the process of recalling), therefore those access paths get rusty and we forget.

It`s possible that if we show a grown person what he must have seen when he was a baby then they will remember because the access paths get refreshed again

Quote Originally Posted by k_s
    There is evidence that long term memory is never lost and there are no known limits for the capacity of the brain.

The problem is not with the information which is still there, but with the access paths to access this information. If these paths are not used often we tend to forget.

My guess is when we are young we are unlikely to think about what`s already happened (a.k.a the process of recalling), therefore those access paths get rusty and we forget.

It`s possible that if we show a grown person what he must have seen when he was a baby then they will remember because the access paths get refreshed again
    So, what's your earliest memory then?
    Nectar77

k_s
    k_s is offline Registered User
    First of all thanks for the info here and there

My earliest memory? never thought of one.
    Some flashes of some woman wiping the floor, I was definately less than 2 years old, coz the woman looked high up and I couldn`t walk.

She might have been anybody really as my mom used to have maids working at home.

lydiasmom is offline Registered User
    My sister is 3 years older than me and I remember her first day at school. She was 6 and I was 3.
    She had a new backpack and I had the same one of course. In hers, they put notebooks and pens, in mine,
    I found a banana and an orange I was crying because I wanted to have the same stuff in my bag