+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    cazuk is offline Registered User

Do I need a "Certificate of no Impediment" to marry in Algeria?

Hi All

Myself (British) & my Fiancee (Algerian) are getting married next month in Algeria & im trying to find out if i need the above Certificate in order to marry there.

Im Divorced & have my "Decree Absolute" to hand & im wondering if this is sufficient? OR do i need the above certificate as-well as / OR instead of?

I would also like to know if my Fiancee can submit his Settlement Visa application in Algeria? i know in the past this wasn't the case & one had to go to Tunisia to do this but i hear through the grapevine that isn't the case anymore & now the British Embassy in Algeria accept Visa applications. ???

I have contacted the Embassy in Algeria but they never seem to answer my questions they tend to pass the book without giving me my answers!!!

Also, if Algeria do accept the application any idea what the time frame is for processing?

Any information regarding the Certificate / getting married in Algeria & Settlement Visa would be very much appreciated.

Kind Regards
    Caz x

Guest 123 is offline Registered User
    salam

I think that you DO need the certificate. Your 'Decree Absolute' would not do, as that is not a recognized document, for Algerian purposes. If You took it as proof to your own country's consular services, they could issue the correct certificate without any problem, having seen your evidence. I am not sure if certificates have to be translated, you should check that out too.

Flower25 is offline Registered User
    Most English Documents for Legal proof have to be translated in Algeria...
    I'm pretty sure on this one!

Mayissa is offline Registered User

previous email

Caz

I already told you everything you needed in the other forum before you ignored me!!

Refer to that info you will be fine I can repost if you like

KR

and yes you do need certificate of No Impediment to Marriage and you will need this stamped at the FCO in London along with any reissues of birth certificates!!! In algeria you will also need other documentation like blood tests and certification from Doctors a new law!!

So refer to that info before you go its important

kr

Guest 123 is offline Registered User
    salam, ya Mayissa, our passing expert

Could you repost the information here, just so that we will always have it for future reference?

And do the documents need to be translated (and translations legally authenticated) ?

alf shukr

Sorry for not posting earlier

The Bride would need the following documents.

Birth Certificate - which they keep in Algeria at the town hall so best to get more than one copy - this copy would also need to be stamped at the Foreign and Commonwealth office in London.

A Translation in Arabic with an official stamp, this can be done in Algeria costs about £12 per translation.

Certificate of no impediment to marriage – this is obtained from a local registry office and stamped at the foreign and common wealth office. You will need to make an appointment be interviewed and it will take approx 28 days to receive your certificate after your records are checked.

A Translation in Arabic with an official stamp, this can be done in Algeria.

4 Passport sized photographs.

The Groom would need the following documents.

Birth Certificate - an up to date copy as they expire in Algeria every 6 months

Certificate to show no previous marriage or declared previous marriage – this is available from the town hall in Algeria again an up to date copy as they expire in Algeria every 6 months

Residency certificate an up to date copy.

Passport/ID card

4 Passport size photographs

Both Parties would need the following documents.

A blood test done in Algeria

Testing blood group and for any diseases etc this is done for both spouses.

Then a declaration from a doctor to declare that both can marry - this is now a legal requirement in Algeria for the time being.

Make three photocopies of everything as documentation needs to be given to several different departments.

You will need to make an initial appointment at a centre for marriages to foreigners. You will fill out application forms.

This application will then be passed on to the “poste police” you will then receive an appointment at the “poste police” and be interviewed.

Your application will be processed and you will then be given a date for your marriage in around 6 weeks time.

The whole process from beginning to end takes around 6 weeks to get the appointment for marriage at the town hall.

Please note all documents in English must be translated into Arabic this can be done in Algeria.