+ Reply to Thread
    kate123 is offline Registered User

english emmigrating to algeria please help

me and my algerian partner have decided to settle in mostaganem instead of london, we have 2 children aged 13 and 7, my partner keeps telling me, yes they have evrything you need but he never gives me specifics, ive searched the internet and not found much luck i have so many questions i needed answering yet am getting nowhere, can anyone offer any help on the following things such as :
    1 will my english speaking children be allowed a place in school?
    2 if so do i have to pay?
    3 healthcare is it free or do you have to pay?
    4 work do they deduct tax or do i have to pay it myself?
    5 the average cost of living for a family of four?
    6 are there many jobs availible?
    7 how much does a family car cost.
    8 shipping belongings from uk to algeria?
    Many questions i know but in order to make the move i need to know that i can provide for my children, we are going to algeria his home town for a simpler life but i still think that providing a education and healthcare for my children is important and i want to live there so much but all i keep hearing is everything will be ok, i dont need to hear it i need to know it. thankyou so much if anyone can answer only one of my questions.

BeeMyBaby is offline Registered User

A bit late but...

I'm sure you know the answers by now, but incase anyone else was wondering, this is what I have gathered so far...

1 will my english speaking children be allowed a place in school? If they are Algerian citizens then yes
    2 if so do i have to pay? no
    3 healthcare is it free or do you have to pay? You have to pay for medicines, but if you have some special medical card which you apparently get if you are working, then it is considerably cheaper.
    4 work do they deduct tax or do i have to pay it myself? I'm not sure, I think its similar to the UK and if you are self employed you will need to state your earnings to the government.
    5 the average cost of living for a family of four? If you already have a place to live then possibly as little as £100 a month, I believe this is around the current minimum wage.
    6 are there many jobs availible? It depends what line of work you are in!
    7 how much does a family car cost. A good car - probably over £10k, a really rubbish car which would cost £250 in the UK would still sell for probably around £2k there as cars retain their value there, you should also be careful with the quality of cars there as my husband always says alot of them are cheap imports from China which will crumble in a crash, so best to go with a known make like Ford, and even then, I believe they are imported from Turkey, so not necessarily up to UK standards. If you can, try to import a new one from France.
    8 shipping belongings from uk to algeria? If your husband removes his name from the Algerian consulate, I believe they offer a certain tax free value for your belongings so you would not be charged income tax - I think a large container costs about £1000.