+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    salma is offline Registered User
    It is a start Tasha...just keep going at it. I learnt another language as an adult (Spanish) and got to high intermediate level. I am very out of practice now and would be embarrassed to use it. However, despite being a very easy language to learn as they go, it was still not that easy and I found that the thing to do was keep study, keep practice, immerse yourself whenever and wherever you can.

Do they have Arabic tv there? That could be an idea to get more time 'hearing' the language, as that is a really important part as I recall Then again, it wouldn't necessarily be Algerian arabic and I have yet to learn just how different it really is. I may be in for a shock lol

What a shame about you and French; still it's easy to say that about so much in life. What if and I wish....nevermind.

I should add, for your amusement, that now I am (just starting) to attempt French, the Spanish is a problem. Suddenly after all these years only spanish words want to come out and I find myself mixing them up a lot. I hope time fixes that.

embish is offline Registered User
    i have recently spent 2 weeks in Algeria and was worried about the language i know very few arabic words and bit more french but luckily my now fiance was more than happy to help me lol.

im hoping to go visit him and his family again late october, we will be applying to be m arried there and in time hopefully he can come live me and my kids here in the uk

Muslimah23 is offline Registered User
    Knowing some French or Arabic is definately an added bonus. Lucky for me, my husband has a few people in his family who have basic knowledge of English and one of his sister speaks fairly fluently as she is studying the language privately. However, the negative aspect of that is I feel rather lazy in learning Arabic becasue I know that I can rely on my husband or his sister to translate for me but i would love to speak to my parents in-law in Arabic. No matter how much I like and respect his family, the language is always a barrier.

I did take some Arabic classes for some time but I found that it was mostly based on writing and not speaking so i got put off by that. The tutor also kept teaching us vocabulaary that was not relevant or functional, for example, 'Ahmad went to the market.. 'the sun goes around the Earth...' so basically, I can say 'the tea is in the cup' but not 'can I have a cup of tea?!!' LOL

Embish, that is wonderful news. I hope that all your plans are easy and everything for you is a success. It must be nice to be close enough to make those trips. I'm in Australia...soooo far away.

Muslimah23, language is so important isn't it? I really, really want to be able to communicate with my fiance's Mother and sister in particular, when I do meet them, so I am def. going to attempt French.

BeeMyBaby is offline Registered User
    since its gone quiet, i will add my two pence (British to the end :P), my husband is teaching me Berber rather than French or Arabic, which will mean my communication with Arab/French Algerians will be fairly limited but I'll be fine if I'm around his village... and probably best that I don't speak to strangers anyway :P

Tasha is offline Registered User
    Salma, I have two algerian TV channels at home which are on 24/7 at the moment with ramadan. After ramadan I will do my best to really try and learn as much as I can, I know about 35 words at the mo but can't string a sentance together but guess that will come in time. Hope you don't get to confused between your Spanish and French, sure you will get used to it soon.

Embish I hope everything works out with you and your partner. Did you meet your partner in the UK?

Muslimah23 I think the not being able to talk to my partners family is sooo fustrating not just for me but for him too all that translating must get on his nerves haha. Living there defo seams to be the answer but my partners not really up for that, I did suggest it but then again where would we live and where would I work?

Felicity, so how are you getting on with learning berber? My partner tries to show me the difference between Algerian arabic and Berber but it all sounds the same to me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast