+ Reply to Thread
    Guest 123 is offline Registered User

UAE woman treks to North Pole

May 6, 2010 -- Braving the best nature had to offer, digging deep into reserves of human resilience seldom discovered by many and achieving what she had always dreamed, Elham Al Qasimi did what she had set out to do. She became the first UAE national and the first Arab woman to reach the North Pole and in the process managed to break many barriers, erase countless misconceptions and truly display the power of dedication, discipline and faith. Upon setting foot on the north most point of the world, Elham made her first phone call to H.H Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum, who was anticipating the call, and gifted the completion of her challenge to all rulers and people of the UAE.

The only way to describe what Elham endured and achieved, is to let her say it the way she wants to:

I first have to express an immense amount of gratitude to my sponsors for their support, to my friends and family for personally sharing this journey with me, and the national and international public that expressed their profound support. This journey was far from individual and for that I can only gift the accomplishment to my President, to all the rulers of the UAE, and the people of the UAE. So much of the most important experiences in our lives are personal not professional, yet we sidestep them or tuck them away, waiting for the 'right time'. The journey was far more important than the destination on this journey. So much churned inside me, that by the time the North Pole was inside I felt a profound peace in every cell. I don't think I would have made it if I was laden with all the distractions, worries and anxieties that we carry around in our normal lives.

This journey was the most formative thing I have done in my late twenties. Late teens and early twenties are ripe with opportunities for growth and development that come to you by virtue of your life-stage. But as time passes, we must be a little more proactive in seeking out such experiences and more importantly the right experiences if we wish to grow. I sought the most extremes of external conditions to obtain internal growth. This may not be the right approach for everyone, but it certainly solidified in my mind the critical important of investing in the 'people' part of people one way or another.

Managing the cold was immensely challenging. I have a petite frame, therefore this was even more crucial for me. But I buckled down and stubbornly bombarded my guides for information and tips. It was so important in that situation to be humble about my own knowledge and capabilities. Most people on the expedition had immense outdoor and cold experience. For me it was different. It was deliberately the diametric opposite of anything I had grown up with or experienced. I wanted to succeed despite that. When I arrived at the Pole, no part of me felt alone. My loved ones each wrote encouraging words in a small journal I carried with me. And as I approached the last 2 miles, I heard excerpts of it with each of their own voices. I could sense my nation willing me forward. It was a magical last 2 miles.

Arab women are half the population, half the human capital that we have in the region, and most importantly they raise the next generation, shaping their minds and characters to a certain extent. It is half the human capital that often remains untapped. Unlocking that needs to be about more than education. Its life experiences, building opinions and interests and preferences and goals... In the multiple roles that women play we can maximise their impact by simply realigning access and exposure to character building experiences, which will be different from person to person but the effect the same....