+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    AMRWM is offline Registered User
    I am sure I read on the Worldbridge website that the visa applications go to the UK. But when I spoke to someone at UK Border Agency about the English Test, they said visas in other countries had nothing to do with them and we would have to actually speak to the place where the visa application is submitted. So who knows??
    Sorry you have had to wait so long though.

kenzie is offline Registered User
    i sent an email to the uk home office and asked um.. who knows, maybe they will giv me some info on my hubby's application.

12 weeks is the normal waiting time.

omar31 is offline Registered User
    salaam, i need help please, im algerien leaving in england, last year i married a british born woman in the mosque and after that she changed her family name in her passport and everything( bank, work...).and now am planning to go back to ALGERIA to marry her there and apply for a spouse visa, my question is : do the algerien registry office will accept to register our marriage even if we got the same family name??? and here she got the certificat of no impediment to marry ( free to marry) with a married name on it, is that ok??? help please

i think thats either a case of marrying legal bcz i dont think marrying in mosque makes it a legal marriage or its to re-new ur vows.

I think you are best going to the registrar and asking him.

BeeMyBaby is offline Registered User
    I would not worry about the IELTS being hard as they are only required to get a score of 4 I believe, which is not that high (if he can converse with you in English, then I'm sure he'll have no problem at all).

I read previously that all applications go to London, and I know two years ago, when my husband applied, it went to London. Some other countries don't go to London, so perhaps it is dependent on the volume of applications etc. I'm suprised they were so unhelpful about the English test, but the UKBA does provide a massive list of all accepted types of english language tests on its website, with the required score.

I know of a user on this site whose husband got his visa about two weeks ago, I think that was about a 12 week wait in the end.

Why would the Algerian registrars not allow people to marry with the same surname? It must be incredibly common with the many interfamily marriages that go on (5th cousins still having the same surnames etc).

im lucky, my husband didnt have to do the english test. but he gave some evidence of his written english with letters.
    just the waiting is making me fed up.

AMRWM is offline Registered User
    He is in Algiers at the moment ready to do the test in the morning. He is incredibly nervous, but he should not be worried. I know he will be fine, but I am not the one who has to do the test. I know I would be nervous too if I was in his place. On most of the websites we were looking at, it only said about the Cambridge test. Knowing how important this is, we just did not want to risk him doing the wrong test and then getting the visa application rejected simply because of this point. That was why I did the ringing round during my lunch hour on Tuesday!

There are so many things to do with this whole process which have quite honestly been a real pain, both here and in Algeria. Of course moaning about it does nothing to change the situation, we just have to suck it up and get on with it. Plus it is only going to get harder...