Algeria.com Discussion Forum - Powered by vBulletin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lovetolive is offline Registered User

How do I become a resident in Algeria ?

hello!

i'm new to the community so any help that anyone can provide will be much appreciated as i expect to be posting several questions about moving to algeria in the future.

i'm from the states and my boyfriend/fiance lives in algeria. i've visited him in algeria using the 90-day tourist visa but i was wondering how i would stay in algeria for a longer period of time. we would like to marry in algeria and i would like to stay for maybe two to four years. what is the process? i would have to apply for another tourist visa in order to get to algeria to marry him but what are my options after the marriage? is there an adjustment of status or resident application that we can send? do i have to leave the country during the application process or can i stay (i hope i wouldn't have to leave if we just got married but i don't know!)?

i haven't had any luck in finding information online about how to become a resident or permanent resident of algeria.

can anyone on here please provide me with this information? i'd really love to live in algeria for a few years and not just for 90 days, especially after getting married. also, if you know of any websites to direct me to, that would really help.

i've looked at algeria websites and i hear people in general and expats say they've been there for a year, two years, etc., but no one ever talks about the process or how they got to stay in algeria for that long.

any and all help is appreciated.

thanks,
    lovetolive

New_Friend is offline Registered User
    You should be able to get these types of questions answered by staff at the Algeria Consulate in the U.S.: Welcome to The Embassy of Algeria Website

For further information, call (202) 265-2800 ext 135.

BeeMyBaby is offline Registered User
    I believe you would need to get a family visa (also lasts only 90 days) but then just visit the police station (not sure if local or in major city) and they should just increase this this for you, and you keep going back etc. I think they can also give you a settlement visa if you stay a couple of years. The only problem therefore would be changing initially from the tourist to family visa - you should ask your fiancÚ to enquire at his local station.

Anahi is offline Registered User

Thumbs up Some hints!

Hi!

I am from USA and my boyfriend is from Algeria. I learned the following: ( I never been in Algeria but in Tunisia).

1. He could apply for a fiancee visa for your.
    2. On or before 90 days you either marry him or return to USA.
    3. Once you married him you need to become an Algerian resident card.
    4. They will allow you to keep the USA citizenship and the Algerian citizenship as well.
    5. Once you married him by the Muslim religion you are officially married. This is the one that counts for Alegeria Government.
    6. Been the wife of an Algerian citizenship you get and are protect by the same right as your husband.

Please tell me your story. I am in the process and feel a little of fear still! But I love him and I am very happy with our relation. I never been in Algeria because when I traveled I didn't have the time to apply for a visa in Algeria. But Tunisia is a Tourist Country and you don't need a Visa to travel there.

With all my respect, have you converted into Muslim? How you manage the religion subject. How he is with you? Have he been in USA? Does he wants to move to USA?

Have a beautiful day!

Motherof3 is offline Registered User

Difficult

This depends on the part of Algeria. In some parts it is possible. You have to have the father of the household fill out paperwork to extend your Algerian visa (the 90 day one) to permanent residency. It requires photographs, lots of papers that seem unnecessary, and patience. I have heard of some women that could not get their extended residency while for others it was possible. In all cases it seems difficult and comes down to the last moment to work out Best wishes.

heniko is offline Registered User
    Respectfully not all the info presented on here is correct.

Algeria has a secural democratic government, a religious marriage without the civil one equals nothing here.

2. There is no such thing as a fiancee visa here in Algeria. It is either - business; eduction, family or tourist. Being a fiancee you can only apply for a tourist visa.

3. Being married to an Algerian you are protected under HIM not nessarily the law, as a foreigner your laws are limited.

You need to figure out if you want to marry in Algeria or the US, and where you want to live then go after residency and such. There are several Facebook groups dealing with this. I am happy to link them to your in PM if you like or even tell my story as I went throu this.

Mayissa is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
    I believe you would need to get a family visa (also lasts only 90 days) but then just visit the police station (not sure if local or in major city) and they should just increase this this for you, and you keep going back etc. I think they can also give you a settlement visa if you stay a couple of years. The only problem therefore would be changing initially from the tourist to family visa - you should ask your fiancÚ to enquire at his local station.
    hey!!! long time how are you hope you are well xxxx