No announcement yet.

Iraqi cuisine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yalla I wouldn't be very creative these days ya Jannah, we had a run of time of shortages and ate very simply - generally lots of bread or rice as a 'filler'. Nowadays I see very little Arab food so my recipe giving will have to be of the cut and paste variety if I find anything that looks interesting.

Comment

Ok well I know you're good at hunting so I look forward to see what you catch

Comment

Stuffed Dumplings in Soup #1, Kurdish: Kubbeh Khamoustah - meat
        Posted by : Viviane & Israel Barzel

This is reprinted from the mailing list, with permission of the author.
        She doesn't read this newsgroup regularly, so please e-mail as well as
        post any replies. The original poster is: "Viviane & Israel Barzel"

KUBBEH KHAMOUSTAH (Kubbeh in sour soup) Kurdish origin
        My husbands favorite friday night dinner !

Crust for koubebot :
        ---------------------------
        1 cup matzo meal
        1 1/2 cup semolina (solet in hebrew )
        about 1 cup water
        1 tsp salt
        Filling for koubebot :
        ---------------------------
        1 pound beef
        oil for frying
        salt & peppper to taste
        Preparation :
        ------------------
        Fry the meat cut in small piece, in a small amount of oil.
        Grind preserving the texture (not like ground meat).

Prepare the dough for the koubbebot, by mixing all ingredients.
        Wet your hands, and shape walnut size pieces of it, like a thin
        circle, fill with 1 tsp of meat and seal.

At this stage, you can freeze the kubbeh patties.

The soup :
        -------------
        6-7 cloves garlic
        about 10 chopped scallions (green and white parts)
        olive oil
        2 bunches (#1/2 kg) of chopped pazzi (blettes in french, swiss
        chard in english ?) green and white parts or can be replaced by spinach
        lemon juice salt lemon salt (citric acid)

Preparation :
        ------------------
        Heat the oil, fry the garlic until gold, add the scallions and the
        pazzi, mix well.
        Cook about 10 minutes.
        Cover with water and continue to cook.
        I usually replace the salt with some soup powder.
        When almost done add lemon juice and lemon salt to taste.
        Add the koubbebot to the boiling soup, and continue cooking about 15
        minutes.

To be honnest, I made it only twice!
        I avoid the "voudjeh rass" (headheaches in arabic).......
        I am buying excelent frozen koubebot from my Butcher YOAV in Nayot /
        Jerusalem
        He also has a green leaflet with the recipe of the soup on his
        counter...

http://www.world-cuisines.com/Top_Ho...e_Eastern.html

Comment

bersaq

Ingredients:
          1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
          1 cup warm water
          1/4 cup white sugar
          3 tablespoons milk
          1 egg, beaten
          2 teaspoons salt
          4 1/2 cups bread flour
          2 teaspoons minced garlic (optional)
          1/4 cup butter, melted

Directions:

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand about 10 minutes, until frothy. Stir in sugar, milk, egg, salt, and enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead for 6 to 8 minutes on a lightly floured surface, or until smooth. Place dough in a well oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and set aside to rise. Let it rise 1 hour, until the dough has doubled in volume.
          Punch down dough, and knead in garlic. Pinch off small handfuls of dough about the size of a golf ball. Roll into balls, and place on a tray. Cover with a towel, and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
          During the second rising, preheat grill to high heat.
          At grill side, roll one ball of dough out into a thin circle. Lightly oil grill. Place dough on grill, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until puffy and lightly browned. Brush uncooked side with butter, and turn over. Brush cooked side with butter, and cook until browned, another 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from grill, and continue the process until all the naan has been prepared.

Yield: 14 servings

Prep Time: 30 Minutes
          Cook Time: 7 Minutes
          Ready In: 3 Hours
          Servings: 14

------------------------------------------------------------

Rice Kifta

------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients: (6 servings)
          Basmati or Long Grain Rice, 100 grams
          Ground Beef or Lamb, 500 grams
          Chick-pea Flour, 100 grams
          Herbs (spring onion ends, parsley, common-dill, sweet-fennel, mint, tarragon), 500 grams
          3 Eggs
          Split-peas, 100 grams
          3-4 onions
          0.5 cup of cooking oil
          2-3 spoons of turmeric (or tomato paste)
          Salt
          Black pepper
          Barberries, 100 grams
          Walnuts, 100 grams

Directions:
          Kiftei -Brnji is a delicious ball of meat, rice and herbs with extra goodies inside. Cook rice in some water with a bit of salt until it softens, then filter out the water. Do the same to split-peas.

Mix rice, split-peas, chick-pea flour, meat, eggs, salt and pepper very well. Cut the herbs very finely and mix in with the rest. Chop the onions and fry in oil until golden. Save some of the fried onions. Add 5-6 glasses of water to the rest of the onions with a bit of salt, pepper and turmeric (or tomato paste) and bring to boil.

Make balls about the size of an orange from the mix, leaving a bit of barberries, walnuts and fried onions at the center. Place the balls in the boiling water and cook for a few minutes. Then continue cooking at low temperature until the koofteh is completely cooked. Make sure the container is not covered during cooking

[Edited by Jannah on 13th April 2006 at 11:36]

Comment

Dolma (Vegetarian or Not)
            Makes 40 to 50 dolma (if you are a European)
            2000 if you are a Kurd.

1 Jar grape leaves
            1 lb. ground lamb
            1/4 cup mint, chopped finely
            1/4 cup parsley, chopped finely
            1 large onion, diced
            4 tbsp. olive oil
            1 1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice (I use basmati)
            1 tsp. salt
            2 lemons
            1/3 stick butter
            2 cups chicken stock

1) In 3 cups of boiling water, add the rice, and cook for 10 minutes or so, until slightly tender. Drain, rinse with cold water, and set aside.
            2) gently pull the bunched rolls of grape leaves from the jar--careful not to tear any. Unroll them, and place them in a large bowl filled with boiling hot water. Let them soak for about 15 minutes, then drain and rinse in cold water. Remove stems with a pair of kitchen scissors, being careful not to rip the leaf.

3) In a pan, sautee the ground lamb until just brown. Set aside.
            4) In a different pan, heat the olive oil and add the onion, sauteeing until transluscent. Add the parsley, mint, and salt. Sautee for a few more minutes.

5) Combine the lamb, onion and herbs, and rice, stirring thoroughly. Allow mixture to cool. Feel free to omit the lamb and add more onion and rice for a vegetarian version.

6) Separate the leaves, setting the smallest or torn ones aside. Use some of these to line the bottom of a baking sheet or roasting pan.
            7) Now for the rolling. Start with large leaves until you get the hang of it, laying it flat in front of you. Place a spoonful of the mixture toward the bottom of the leaf, leaving about an inch of leaf below. Fold the bottom part upward just over the mixture. Fold in the right then left sides of the leaf, then continue rolling from the bottom. Voila! (See photos above for a clearer example)

Place the dolma next to eachother on the baking sheet. When you have rolled all the mixture away, top the dolma with thin pats of butter and thin lemon slices. Now pour the chicken stock over the dolma. Don't use all 2 cups if this means not being able to navigate to the oven without spilling.

9) Cover the dolma with more leaves, or foil if the leaves are all used. Place sheet in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for about an hour to an hour and a half.

10) remove covering and leave to cool for 10 minutes. Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice, and place on a serving tray or plate with lemon wedges. Eat.

Serve with Yoghurt Drink (Mastaw or Ayran in Turkish). Kurdish bread and some Kawar (dont know the English for it) would also be great with it !

[img]
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6....jpg[/img]

Comment

Youghurt (Mast)

Ingredients:

milk, one litre
              yogurt, one spoonful

Directions:

Heat milk until it starts to boil. Allow to cool until it feels quite warm to the finger without burning. Add yogurt and mix lightly. Place the lid on and cover well with a thick cloth for at least 5 hours. Remove cloth and place in the frig until cold.

Comment

Kurdish Vegeterian Biryani

RICE AND GRAIN DISHES:
                Fragrant Vegetable Rice

Ingredients:

2 tbs vegetable oil
                1 medium-size onion, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
                1 tsp minced garlic
                1 tbs peeled and minced fresh ginger
                1/2 cup firmly packed finely chopped cilantro, soft stems included
                1 tsp garam masala
                1 tbs ground coriander
                1 tsp ground cumin
                1 tsp ground cayenne pepper, or to taste (optional)
                1 tsp salt, or to taste
                5 cups fresh mixed vegetables, cut into 1-inch pieces (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, beans, mushrooms, colorful bell pepper, and peas)

2 1/2 cups basmati rice, picked over
                4 3/4 cups water
                1 tablespoon vegetable oil
                5 black cardamom pods, pounded lightly to break the skin
                1 tsp black peppercorns (optional)
                One 3-inch stick of cinnamon
                1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
                1 tsp salt, or to taste

1/2 tsp garam masala for garnish
                Preparation:

Heat the oil in a large skillet or saucepan over high heat and cook the onion, stirring, until golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, ginger, and cilantro, then add the garam masala, coriander, cumin, cayenne, and salt. Stir in the vegetables. Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes over high heat, the reduce the heat to medium and continue to to cook until the vegetables are tender-crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.

Wash the rice in 3 to 4 changes of water, stirring lightly with your fingertips, until the water runs almost clear. Then soak it in the water for 30 minutes or longer.

Heat the oil in a large nonstick saucepan over high heat and cook the cardamon, peppercorns, cinnamon, and cumin, stirring, until they sizzle, 30 to 40 seconds. Add the salt, stir in the rice and water, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a minimum, cover the pan (partially at first, until the foam subsides, then snugly), and cook the rice until all the water is absorbed, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat.

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Line a large ovenproof casserole with a 1-inch layer of the rice and top with a layer of cooked vegetables. Cover with rice and repeat until all the vegetables and rice are used up. Cover the casserole and bake for 10 to 15 minutes. (The rice can stay in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes if need be.)

Garnish with the garam masala and serve as a main dish or as part of a festive menu.

Makes 8 servings.

chicken or meat can be added

Comment

tishreeb

2 lb Mixed Lamb ( I try to use Shanks)
                  1 lb Onions
                  1 can Chickpeas
                  1 bay leaf
                  a few qirinfil ( cloves)
                  2 ( dried Lemon)
                  6 potatoes pealed and cut into chunks (you can add more or less depending on how many potatoes you want)
                  Salt (to taste)
                  A dash of Baharat (seasonings)

In a Large pot , Bring the lamb shanks, salt, baharat, bay leaf, onions, cloves and dried lemons to a roaring boil, cover and simmer for a few hours. Add in the potatoes and bring back to a boil ( add water if needed ) then add the chickpeas.

Let cook for a while then take pita bread and cut it up into peaces and place in deep dish. Add the soup mixture ( tishreeb ) to the pita bread then you can put a mixture of Yogurt and thoom ) Garlic, On top….

Incidently most of the last recipes were lifted from a kurdish forum

Comment

So..What is cooking in Iraq now..

Comment

I thought Biryani is a Moghul cuisine dish in India!

Comment

Originally posted by Jannah
                        Ok well I know you're good at hunting so I look forward to see what you catch
                        Try browsing here ya Jannah

Comment

Hello jannah!

The dolma is certainly a long proceedure.
                          The grape leaves also can be eaten?

A similar dish is popular in the western coast of India.
                          But using plantain leaves to wrap around raw fish,
                          smeared with spice paste.
                          Then steamed, not baked.

Try it. It is good.

Comment

That sounds a little like sushi, which I love, can the plaintain leaves be eaten? I love fried plaintain, you can buy plaintain made like crisps here, but it's not so nice, making it yourself from fresh is far nicer, but if the plaintain isn't ripe enough it's horrible.

Dolma is wonderful,yes you eat the leaves, you can buy them here dried, there's something similar I've had which I know they eat in Romania with a rice and tomato mixture rolled in cabbage leaves.

Thanks AlKhiyal, certainly enough desserts on that link

Comment

Phlao Bajij - Tajine of chicken with red rice

http://www.guysen.com/articles.php?sid=4312

Comment

http://www.asianonlinerecipes.com/meat-kebab/ baghdad-saffron-flavored-meat.php - 36k -

Baghdad Saffron Flavored Meat Recipe

http://www.waitrose.com/food_drink/r...604090-r02.asp

Baghdad Eggs with Minty Pitta Crisps

I don't know how authentic these recipes are one discription of it says
                                Baghdad Eggs, fried in butter, garlic, lemon, mint and cumin and served on flatbread.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X