Ramadan ideas - please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ramadan ideas - please help

With Ramadan approaching us very soon InshAllah, I am in need of some authentic Ramadan Algerian recipes.

My husband is from Algiers so I would be very grateful if you can post up some recipes from that region. I know that tradtionally Algerians eat chorba, bourek and another dish in Ramadan but i need ideas for this 'other dish'

I would also appreciate if someone can post up a recipe for 'chorba frik'. Theres a few things I would like to know about this chorba frik- is it tomato based? do you add the frik at the end? or let it cook for long? do you have to soak it?if so, for how long?

thank u

Salam

Chorba frik and some other chorba recipes are linked here and a few other Ramadan recipes are here

Comment

Salam alaikum,

I'm glad to hear you're interested in making our food. I'll be more than happy to explain few things about our cooking if you want me to. Please feel free to post in any questions.

Ramadhan Mubarak inshaAllah.

Your sister
      left2000

Comment

Thank you for the link

well, I have already made some boureks and will freeze them. I know how to cook chorba but was unsure about 'chorba frik'. when I went to Algeria last year my mother in law was trying to teach me but I really wasn't concentrating!! lol.

does anyone have any nice Algerian roast chicken recipes? do you marinate the chicken and then cook it in the oven?

Comment

chicken

Oh yes, chicken tastes better while left overnight wrapped in foil with some spices at your taste.

You can chop some onion, and garlic and leave it in as well. Then in a very low heat, let it cook in that foil till tender. There's no need to put any oil in it if you are leaving the skin on. In the tray, you can put on the side some baby vegetables to cook with it if you want to.

Then, you take the foil off and let it get crispy while making sure it's not burning.

Wa Shahia Tayiba,

Comment

Shukran Left2000

I have several more questions to ask if possible.

My husband described two Algerian dishes to me. One is special for Ramadan, it is a fairly sweet dish made of lamb, prunes and apples. The second is potato stuffed with mince meat and rice cooked in sauce. Does it sound familiar? if yes, please please put up the recipe.

thank you

Comment

Oh yes!

Hello again,
              It looks like you'll become a professional soon in Algerian food making.

I'll write to you more tomorrow inchallah with full details, but for the moment let me give you their names:

The sweet one is called 'Elahm Hlou', which means sweet meat.
              The second is called 'Doulma', which is anything filled with minced meat.

I'm off to bed now, but I promise to write more tomorrow inchallah.

Happy Ramadan
              Left2000

Comment

el ham lahlou (sweet lamb)

Dear sister,

May you find this recipe easy to make.

For 4 Servings

3 tablespoons – Butter

1 pounds - Lamb; in 3-inch pieces

½ teaspoon - Cinnamon, ground

3 cups – Water

¼ cup - Sugar

12 - Dried prunes soaked in water for one hour

2 tablespoons - raisins

2 tablespoons - Whole blanched almonds

1 - Firm pear; peel/core/wedges

2 tablespoons - Orange blossom water

1. Melt the butter in a pan, add the lamb and sauté over low heat for 5 minutes. Add the cinnamon, water and sugar and mix well. Increase the heat to moderate and cook for about 40 minutes, or until the meat is tender. The sauce will darken.

2. Drain the prunes and add them to the lamb with the raisins, almonds and pear. Simmer for 15 minutes more. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the orange blossom water. (Maa Zahar, as we say)

Enjoy

Comment

DOULMA (Stuffed potatoes or courgettes)

4 people

4 large potatoes
                  500 g minced lamb
                  1 small onion, finely chopped
                  1 egg
                  500 g diced lamb,
                  Salt, pepper
                  1 tablespoon vegetable oil
                  1 tablespoon tomato paste (if you like red sauce)
                  A tin of chick peas
                  1 teaspoon lemon juice

Wash the peeled potatoes, cut them in half and scoop out a teaspoon.
                  Mix the mince meat with the onion and the beaten egg and fill the potatoes with it. (you can add a bit of salt, black pepper, and some chopped parsley)

Sprinkle the chopped pieces of lamb with salt and pepper to taste and fry in hot oil.
                  Add the tomato paste, the chick peas and 500 ml of water and bring to a boil. Turn up the heat as low as possible, cover the pan and let it simmer.

Then, arrange the stuffed potatoes in the sauce cover the pan again and let it simmer for 30 minutes.

Sparkle the potatoes with lemon juice and serve immediately.

Enjoy

Comment

Salam Muslimah23

This recipe is Moroccan but thought you might like to give it a go anyway. Made it last night for 8 people for our second course (after chorba and bourak). It was soooo good, was given the thumbs up by all of the algerians there. Trust me, you and your hubby will love it

Serves 4-6
                    Ready in about 1 1/2-1 3/4 hours

Ingredients

3 tbsp olive oil
                    1kg lean diced lamb shoulder
                    2 onions, halved and thinly sliced
                    6 plum tomatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
                    7.5cm piece cinnamon stick
                    1 tsp ground ginger
                    2 tbsp clear honey
                    1 small preserved lemon, finely chopped, or 2 pared strips fresh lemon zest
                    750ml hot lamb or chicken stock
                    450g peeled and deseeded squash, cut into small chunks
                    400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
                    450g couscous
                    25g butter

For the chermoula

3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
                    2 tsp ground cumin
                    2 tsp ground coriander
                    11/2 tsp paprika
                    2 tsp harissa paste (from supermarkets) or 1 tsp minced red chilli (sambal oelek)
                    Good pinch saffron strands
                    2 tbsp lemon juice
                    Small handful fresh coriander leaves, plus extra chopped coriander to garnish
                    Small handful fresh mint leaves
                    4 tbsp olive oil

Method: How to make lamb, chickpea and squash tagine

1. Make the chermoula by putting all the ingredients into a food processor with some seasoning. Blend to a smooth paste, then set aside.

2. Heat the oil in a large, flameproof casserole. Fry the lamb in 2 batches until lightly browned all over, then lift onto a plate. Add the onions to the pan and fry over a medium heat until soft and nicely browned. Add the tomatoes, cinnamon, ginger, honey and 2 tablespoons of the chermoula, and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Return the lamb to the casserole and add the preserved lemon or strips of lemon zest and the hot stock, and season well to taste. Partially cover the tagine and leave to simmer gently for 1 hour.

3. Gently stir in the squash and chickpeas and simmer, uncovered, for another 15-20 minutes until the squash is tender and the sauce has reduced a little more.

4. Meanwhile, put the couscous and seasoning into a large bowl and stir in 450ml boiling water. Cover with a tea towel and leave to soak for 5 minutes. Then uncover and fluff up into separate grains with a fork. Melt the butter in a large pan, then add the couscous and stir over a low heat for a couple of minutes until heated through.

5. When the lamb and squash are tender, stir in the remaining chermoula and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Serve the lamb tagine with the buttered couscous, garnished with the extra chopped coriander.

Enjoy!

Comment

Thank you for the recipes- much appreciiated!

Left2000- I found the recipe for 'el ham lahlou' yesterday and made it today. My husband enjoyed it very much and said it tasted just like his mums (which is a very good sign for me!!) At first, I could not understand how you can cook lamb with fruit??!! I found it quite strange but Iafterall I am not Algerian!!

I'm going to make the dolma in a few days inshallah!

It is very difficult planning the menu in Ramadhan. My husband doesn't like to eat many things in this month like rice, pasta, couscous.

Comment

Other ideas

I'm glad you liked it.

You can ask your husband if he likes something called 'Kebbab' it's very light and we Algerians like it in Ramadan. It's fried potatoes with either meat or chicken (white sauce)

Salam

Comment

Hello,

I found this discussion group the other day when I was searching Ramadan recipes. My partner is from Algeria but we are now living in New Zealand. His uncle has gone back to the UK and his wife who is still here is not Muslim so I am fasting with him in support. My problem is that I have never been to Algeria so do not know many recipes. His aunty taught me to make chorba so I have been making that. The recipes in this forum have been extremely helpful. Thank you.

However I do need some help when it comes to Eid. I do not no much about the celebrations that take place on this day and have been trying to research as much as possible. I would like to make it as authentic for my partner/husband as possible and want to ensure that it doesn't pass by like any other day, just because he is living in a culture that dosn't understand. I would appreciate any ideas for what to do on the day, or special traditions that happen and any special recipes that are made for the day. I have taken the predicted day and day after off work so I can celebrate with him.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thank you so so much.

Comment

Eid preparations

Congratulations Suzie for wanting to make your husband feeling at home and create that Algerian Eid atmosphere.

Firstly, I would say it all depends on which part of Algeria your husband is from. Those in the west of the country have got different traditions than those in the east, and those from the south celebrate it differently from those from the north.

I come from Algiers, the capital, so I‘ll be more than happy to guide through all the preparation till the second day of Eid. However, if your husband comes from another part of the country then I’ll see how I can direct you to other experts in this forum

Best Regards wasalam
                            Left2000

Comment

Welcome to this site Susie, and hope you'll enjoy it, and how nice of you trying to make that day special for this person, that's great

Eid ul-Fitr, is a Muslim holiday that marks the end of Ramadan, the Islamic holy month of fasting. Eid is an Arabic word meaning "festivity", while Fiṭr means "to break the fast" and so the holiday symbolizes the breaking of the fasting period. It is celebrated starting on the first day of the Islamic month of Shawwal.
                              Eid is a three day celebration and is sometimes also known as the "Smaller Eid" ( Eid esghir) as compared to the Eid ul-Adha that lasts four days and is called the "Greater Eid" (Eid El Kabir)
                              Muslims are commanded by the Qur'an to complete their fast on the last day of Ramadan and then recite the Takbir all throughout the period of Eid, Takbir means to repeat and say often Allah ou akbar,( please guys cerrect me if I am wrong)

So this is a general Idea of how we celebrate in algeria, mostly in the capital, but Algeria is huge, and all quarters of the country have some different traditions.

The last week before Eid in Algeria, we start making lots of algerian pastries and sweets for that day. Also parents buy new clothing for their children, of course adults can buy them selfs newclothing too, but for the children.
                              On that day early in the morning people( mostly men) go to the mosque to do Eid prayer, and women get into the kitchen to make coucous, in the capital we make couscous with a chicken sauce that has chicken zucchini or turnips and garbanzo beans, or insted of couscous we make Rechta with the same sauce. Rechta is hande made fresh pasta ( very light and delicious!!) to me at least .

So that day the kids wear their new clothes, adults give them money( it's their day for making moeny ) it's the day where family members go around other family members houses to visit and have a coffe, neighbors exchange cookies and sweets with each other, families do the same, we give cookies to friends, or anybody in the streets.

But mainly, that is the day where you really have to let go of grudjes, forgive if any conflits with anybody, the best opportunity to apologise if so.

Bassically, a day of fun with friends and family, food and alots of sweets

PS: you'll find tons of links for algerian Eid cookies and pastries on here recipes

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X