Why did the French invade Algeria?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did the French invade Algeria?

I am ignorant when it comes to history in Algeria so please someone with information enlighten me I know their was a time when the French were in Algeria but why? and why do so many people from north Africa go to France? I dont see the conection? and why do so many countries like Algeria, Morocco, Syria and Lebanon the people speak French instead of Arabic? My husband's grandfather was Killed by the French and he does not like anything french and he does not even want to visit france. That makes sense. But what about the millions of other Arabs that where forcefully coloniized by France and they want to be like their French colonizers? why? Salaam Hajar

Hi Hajar ,

How r u ?

this subject is really vast but what I can say is that the French are just like every body ...they colonized Algeria because it 1s a rich country....In 1800`s , Algeria was selling food goods to France ....

Then a lot of Algerians go to France because after the II world war , most of them were called by France to rebuilt their country...and also a lot of Africans fouhgt for Europe...and died for Europe too...
    as far as I am concern in Algeria now few people speak French , all the institutions have been under arabistion ...(I hope it`s clear if not e-mail me )

Also I am sorry to tell you this but your husband must be extremist because every people knows that a lot of French helped us to be free ...( carrier of money )A lot of French blamed France for soldiers attrocities ...a lot of French have lost their right in France because their betrayed France...
    As far as I am concerned I am proud of being an Algerian but even if I was born in France , I still vote for Algerian elections , be aware of what happens in Algeria everyday ...WILL NEVER FORGET MY ROOTS...
    But you know it `s the same with Algerian who are born in USA , they believed that they are American ...and for me it`s unbelievebable....
    If you want we can talk about that ...
    Drop me a line ...
    CYA
    KAHINA

Comment

SALAM ALL:

Nice topic in deed,and since I am not an Algerian,I will let my brothers to answer your question.But I want to share with you something that is still puzzling me,and may be could help some of us make sense beteween the Muslim conquest(as they call it)to SPAIN and Europe,and the latest European conquest to Africa and the rest of the world!

My question has a lot to do with the presence of the Muslims in SPAIN.Knowing that they were there for almost 800 years,Why is it that the Spanish people don't speak ARABIC,nor have they some of their streets and avenues called after some Muslim names?

Personnally,I think that the ignorance of our latest generations vis a vis of thier History and Islam,made most of them blaming Islam for thier faillure,and look at the West as an IDOL,so by speaking Frensh(while in Algeria,Morocco,or else)they can show the world that they are "civilized".

Just my personnal opinion,nothing else.

Salam to all.

Comment

salam again,
        Please hajar paste my message that i have sent to you about the history of algeria, it may help somebody else.
        thanks.

Comment

Dear Islam1,
          the reason for which no one in speaks french is that the conquistators (this is the name given to the christians that conquered Spain)
          were warriors and millitarists . They did not know anything about cultur, so they saw no point in keeping the arab cultur alive. But they did take over the arcitecture of arabs,and also many medical secrets. If you go to Spain to Portugal you will see that in old villages houses look very arab like.
          But as I said the conquerors were very in tolerant and extremist christians, this is why they forced all jews out of spain as soon as they had requerred spain. Also the conquest of Spain was soon followed by the discovery of America, were the Spanish used their soldiers, which came from a society which had for centuries no aim but to fight and liberate their country!
          I hope I could help you,
          Assalam aleikum,
          Abdelkader
          Peace for our Prophet and for all Algerians!!!

Comment

NO ONE CARES.

Comment

I colonize France Algeria he coveted her blessings

I colonize France Algeria he coveted her blessings In year 1830

Many reason from the Algerians is being made in France he is that he is easy matter
              But many Algerians detest France
              I am one from them
              France /she/you killed 1500000 from the Algerians

Comment

The goodly Frenchmen came to Algeria in search of the genie in a bottle. Sure they killed a few Muslims for sport, but there was nothing malicious about it-just some good old boys having fun. Muslims do get uptight over the silliest things. Anyway it their fault if some of their kin were dismissed by a French musket or sword. If the stingy Muslims had shared the genie in the bottle everyone would have lived happily ever after.

So, my dear, dear, Islamic friends lets not go about an attempt or two to revise the history of the French adventures in Algeria. They were great glorious times and took on an existence of their own which no thieving Ali Babba ought to touch.

Nonson

Comment

salam alaikoom this is nadia.

i cannot beleive that you just called somebody husband an extremist!i am an algerian too and my grand father died in the war as a moojahideen he was part of the fallaga, and my uncle was tortured by the french too, i lived in france for 12 years! and there i felt like i was a third class citizen! i dont like the french! and this does not make me an extrimist! my country underwent through a lots of prblems since independance! and i feel very sad because i love algeria and i die for algeria if necessary. and i am just fed up of people who dont know anything about my country criticising it. throughout my life i suffered from crisis identity but not anymore! because i am proud of being algerian! whether the french were there to help to free algeria it is irrelevant, they didnt have to be there at the first place anyway! so i suggest that you think carefully about what you just said because, living abroad for a long time can wash your brain. never loose your roots ya ookhte!

Comment

Portugal and Spain!

Selam!

I think that the answer to the question that Portugal and Spain are not arabized is that they always hated the Arabs!
                    I´m a Portuguese and I always heard of pure blood to be some1 in Portugal, this happens today in Portugal and Spain!
                    The fidalgos/hidalgos could not have an Arab origin, nor speak with Arabic words! They still exist in Portugal and Spain, but in Brazil the words of Arab origin are few! Everybody know what Portugal did in Marocco, Portugal was free from the Arabs firstly than Spain!
                    That´s why 800 years made almost nothing in Portugal! In Spain the influence was greater (just read El cantar de mio Cid)because at first there was no hatred against Arabs in Spain, that came later, but in Portugal it always existed!
                    The answer, just hatred!

Comment

Originally posted by hajar

I am ignorant when it comes to history in Algeria so please someone with information enlighten me I know their was a time when the French were in Algeria but why? and why do so many people from north Africa go to France? I dont see the conection? and why do so many countries like Algeria, Morocco, Syria and Lebanon the people speak French instead of Arabic? My husband's grandfather was Killed by the French and he does not like anything french and he does not even want to visit france. That makes sense. But what about the millions of other Arabs that where forcefully coloniized by France and they want to be like their French colonizers? why? Salaam Hajar
                      Salamoualaikum Hagar

In an effort to discourage pirateering from Algerian Ports.
                      A British Fleet Bombarded Algiers in 1816, and in the 1820's a minor dispute with the French resulted in Charles X of France imposing a naval blockage of Algeria and then, in June 1830, invading the country, and making it a part of France in 1848.
                      Algerian Independance Movements led to the uprisings of 1954-55 which developed into full-scale war.

Wa Salam

Comment

Algerian Hstory

Originally posted by kahina View Post
                        Hi Hajar ,

How r u ?

this subject is really vast but what I can say is that the French are just like every body ...they colonized Algeria because it 1s a rich country....In 1800`s , Algeria was selling food goods to France ....

Then a lot of Algerians go to France because after the II world war , most of them were called by France to rebuilt their country...and also a lot of Africans fouhgt for Europe...and died for Europe too...
                        as far as I am concern in Algeria now few people speak French , all the institutions have been under arabistion ...(I hope it`s clear if not e-mail me )

Also I am sorry to tell you this but your husband must be extremist because every people knows that a lot of French helped us to be free ...( carrier of money )A lot of French blamed France for soldiers attrocities ...a lot of French have lost their right in France because their betrayed France...
                        As far as I am concerned I am proud of being an Algerian but even if I was born in France , I still vote for Algerian elections , be aware of what happens in Algeria everyday ...WILL NEVER FORGET MY ROOTS...
                        But you know it `s the same with Algerian who are born in USA , they believed that they are American ...and for me it`s unbelievebable....
                        If you want we can talk about that ...
                        Drop me a line ...
                        CYA
                        KAHINA
                        Hi Hajar,

Thanks for the question. Unfortunately, it seems some of the responses are juvenile bordering on offensive. The story of Algeria is a long and glorious one. To cut through most of it..... France invaded us because the country was filthy rich. We were the up and coming dominant naval nation who were part of the Ottoman empire at the time.

Algiers was in fact world famous.... and our services as corsairs were employed by both the Ottomans and the British. As for the reasons..... well there are 2 schools of thought.... 1) was that the Ottomans were waning in power and strength although France was an 'ally' of the Ottomans.

The other was that Algeria was become powerful.... a little too powerful.... even for the Ottomans and even though the capital was in Turkey, Algiers did what it wanted for most and was the strongest and wealthiest power in North Africa.

As for the hatred for the French.... this is completely justified. Your husband is not a 'terrorist' or even 'too far to the right'. Unfortunately some of us suffer from Stockholm Syndrome: the falling in love with your captor. Before France invaded Algeria and particularly after Napoleon's demise France was both poor and arrogant. Parisians were eating barbecued rats.

The history of countries like France and Belgium can be airbrushed after the fact but it would still remain true that these countries got rich of the back of others. They need us you see.... they need us to feed them.

Before any one tries to correct me and say the French are not arrogant; I assure you this is the general consensus throughout Europe. France's history bloody but so is the history of Europe and now the US.

We should be very proud about being Algerian. Algeria used to welcome Christians running away from the poverty of Europe, most of whom converted. Our country has a colourful tapestry of cultures and colours that Europe now waives in front of everyone's face protesting that they have been enlightened.

We did what France couldn't and we did it with relative peace.

The above posted quote was a little much for me. Yes, some of the French did the right thing but most didnt. A few token gestures about doing what should already have been done, those are called anomalies. Remember, France had 133 years to 'do the right thing'.

Even after France pulled out because, I think, they were unable to maintain control and it had become too costly; even then.... they decided to install spies in the army.... and set them against the populace.

There is a cancer in the world..... and it isnt Algerians or the 'new Jews' of Europe; 'those evil Muslims'.

I dont like the French..... they think they are better than you.... not because they work harder.... they are incredibly lazy. You should be proud of our country.

Have a nice day,
                        Abdel Hakim

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X