Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning Algerian Arabic

Salam all

Please tell me that somewhere out there is a native English speaker who has sussessfuly learnt Algerian arabic. I am starting to give up hope and think it's an impossiable task. If you have a success story or any books or websites you could suggest or the best way to go about it that would be great.

Thanks

The lack of threads on this topic isn't filling me with much confidance

Comment

Tasha would you believe that I just found this thread, after what I wrote to you on the other thread about learning Arabic. Life is funny sometimes. I am sure there must be Arabic speakers out there. I have heard of a lot of reverted Muslims learning etc. However I must tell you that my fiance said that French is going to be the 'easy' one that I could learn anywhere, but that Arabic he would teach me...I assumed over a lifetime!! lol

Comment

This is not easy, but the best way to learn Algerian arabic, is to really move there.
        Algerian arabic is the creole of the arabic in my opinion, it has a mixture of a lot of languages mixed into it, lots of french, turkish, spanish, and even couple of english.

Plus every region has a different accent or dialect, exemple, the berber have their own language, and the berbers are Kabyle, shawi, touareg, shleuh, and beni m'zab.

But of course there is the algerian dialect that is understood by all algerians.

I can't recall where, but a couple of years ago, we had started a thread with the algerian dialect in this section, when I have more time I'll try to find it.
        you can also try to write what do you wana lear to say, and some of us could maybe translate for you.

Best luck

Comment

I have just done the same Salma. Wrote on the other thread then saw your reply here haha

Nedjma95 - Well my partner born and brought up in Algiers but his mum and dad are Berbers. He speaks Arabic, Berber and French. My first intention was to learn Arabic properly (written aswell as spoken) untill I realised that this was a crazy idea, now I am just opting for the spoken. As for books it's all standard Arabic, Morrocan or Egyptian. Is Moroccan Arabic that different or would these books be suitable? There is such a lack of information on all things Algerian compared to the other Arabic speaking countries which is a shame

Are you form Algiers?

Thanks for the offer of translation

Comment

Originally posted by nedjma95 View Post
            This is not easy, but the best way to learn Algerian arabic, is to really move there.

I can't recall where, but a couple of years ago, we had started a thread with the algerian dialect in this section, when I have more time I'll try to find it.
            I wish I could move there to learn the language but it's just not possiable but I can see that this would 100% be the best way to learn the language. If you could dig out the thread that would be great, thanks for pointing it out. I will have a little look myself see if I can find it

Comment

Yes nedjma95 I would also love to see the thread. Thanks in advance.

Lol re posting on the two threads Tasha.

There really does seem to be a lack of info on a number of things Algerian. Morocco and Egypt seem to be the more 'known'' places...I have been looking for an Algerian travel guide (not because I'm about to go, but out of interest), but they always seem to have everything but that.

It sounds as though many or most Algerians are at least bilingual? Am I right there? So different to Australia where even learning a language at school is not a priority for most. We do have a lot of immigrants here who are multilingual though.

Comment

Not sure if this would be of interest to you or maybe you already no about it but there are books called the lonely planet guide (very popular with British people visiting Australia) and they do a book on Algeria. You can get it at Lonely Planet Travel Guides and Travel Information

I would say most Algerians can speak several languages. I think I am right in saying that alot of the older generation don't speak Franch but don't quote me on this. From what you said Australia has the same outlook to the UK when it comes to learing other languages. It is easy to become lazy when so many people speak English. This is even my case at home. Why struggle speaking Arabic with my partner when we both speak perfect English but totaly the wrong attitude to have. This will get us no where

Comment

I do know about the lonely planet guides, but thank you. It was one of those I was sure I would get but I guess that Algeria isn't a popular enough travel spot for us to warrant selling them in the bookstores. I may have to buy online. Algeria is such a long trip from here, and expensive.

Yes, I know what you mean about 'struggling' with a language when you can just take the easy way. It's so simple to put it off.

Comment

Oh dear, looks like it hasn't been updated since 2007!?!!

Lonely Planet Algeria Travel Guide

They do provide some separate updates, but still, I rest my case if this is that latest guide...that Algeria simply isn't seen as a 'big' destination. In particular from this part of the world where we are so focused on Asia.

Comment

Originally posted by salma View Post
                      Yes nedjma95 I would also love to see the thread. Thanks in advance.

....I have been looking for an Algerian travel guide (not because I'm about to go, but out of interest), but they always seem to have everything but that......
                      Salam, ya Salma

Did You take a look here ?

Comment

Originally posted by Tasha View Post
                        Salam all

... If you have a success story or any books or websites you could suggest or the best way to go about it that would be great....

Thanks
                        w/salam, ya Tasha

Most of the material produced for learning Algerian Arabic does so through the medium of French.

You can find some audio tape/CD material here and here

An older thread dedicated to the topic, and by strange coincidence also titled "Learning Algerian Arabic", is here

If people used websites more efficiently/imaginatively there could always be a possibility that an Algerian speaker could offer 'real time' language classes using, for example a 'chat room' utility (real time cookery classes could be delivered in the same way!), but we have yet to greet the appearance of anyone willing to put in the time and effort.

Comment

Thanks for those links, will check them out.

Your ideas are great and inshallah one day someone will do this but until then I will check out your suggestions and see if there is anything of interest. Once again thanks

Comment

Originally posted by salma View Post
                            Oh dear, looks like it hasn't been updated since 2007!?!!

Lonely Planet Algeria Travel Guide

They do provide some separate updates, but still, I rest my case if this is that latest guide...that Algeria simply isn't seen as a 'big' destination. In particular from this part of the world where we are so focused on Asia.
                            Sometimes feels like a secret country I don't have the password to enter

Comment

Hahhaha Tasha. Yes, it can be a bit like that. Even getting to know my fiance has taken a little effort...in a way you don't often find here in Australia. I found that odd at first, and worrisome, but actually it was some things I read on this forum that made me relax about the situation.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X