"Meryool" ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    wow... sorry to tell u all.. but maryool doesn't mean any of the things u have said above... now unless algerians have twisted this word around also... but the REAL classical arabic meaning to this.. in which algerians that i know go by it is that maryool means "Uniform" like a school uniform or work.. or any sort... but if there is a special meaning to it in the algerian darja that's a different story! o.0

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey Cheb5alid, I have MSN Messenger now! :-D

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi @,

3urgoub in in Moroccan Arabic (Dardja) means in English Hump (humpback or arched back) [like on camel]!
    "la 3urgoub zine" means "no beautiful hump"... I also think -like algerian_rai_girl- it's an ambiguous expression and means putatively "no luck" (I at least understand it as that)

3urgoub = (in German) "Buckel / Höcker"
    = (en Francais) "le dos voûté / rond"

Now to "Meryool"... I think that word means in Maghreb somedody dirty / indecent; who hangs in the bars, drinks often alcohol and accompanies girls (Boys for "Meryoola"!)... [may be senseless in Europe]

That are only suppositions
    Peace,
    netmen2000

[Edited by netmen2000 on 13th January 2004 at 15:58]

Leave a comment:

• replied
    hi cheb5alid ,wushrak?
    i talked with my algerian friend and she told me the meaning of (3urgoub)..it is little bit complicated..so pay attention please.
    at the end of your (right)ankle,you will find in the right side of it a circle or round bone(=3urgoub),in the left is the same thing,so..from along time ago,people in algeria used to think that the one who has this circle,round bone bulging or standing out is a lucky person..
    so Khaled says, (la zhur = la meymoon) =no luck, la 3urgoub zeen ( no luck )!!
    i hope you understood what i have just written,if you found out later that it is wrong,don't blame me,blame her ;P
    ciao,,

[Edited by algerian_rai_girl on 10th January 2004 at 17:53]

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hiya algerian_rai_girl,

That could be what it means, but it's also used for women (meryoola), like in Melha, Khaled says "meryoola ou tebghi tes-har"... so, meryoola would mean "a woman who loves men" ?

Thanks for the info, and thanks for your efforts (asking your algerian friends).

bqee 3la 5eer

Leave a comment:

• replied
    hi,
    thanks alot kurshad .

cheb5alid,,an algerian friend just told me that ( meryoul ) means the one who loves women .
    and about (3urgoub) i think it means destiny,i am not sure,but i'll make sure of it later.
    bye

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by algerian_rai_girl
    hi cheb5alid,
    how are you?
    i would be really happy if you could visit my web site :
    http://www.ilovechebmami.tk
    and please tell me what do you think about it.ok?
    c ya.
    I visited your site; very cute

Leave a comment:

• replied
    hi cheb5alid,
    how are you?
    i would be really happy if you could visit my web site :
    http://www.ilovechebmami.tk
    and please tell me what do you think about it.ok?
    c ya.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks algerian_rai_girl, I'm glad to see you here again (it's been a while and you were quiet since you joined this forum).

I guess the translation makes sense in some cases, but in some other cases it doesn't, for example, in didi Khaled says "7ezamt el-meryoola", and el-meryoola here definately doesn't mean elli ma 3ando zhar. But in Serbi Serbi for example, it goes "yana meryool, ya nashrab alcohol ou ya", which makes sense.

bqee 3la 5eer

Leave a comment:

• replied
    hi cheb5alid ,
    how are you?
    i think meryool means ( elli ma3ndou zhar ) = ( unlucky person ) .
    i hope it is the right meaning .
    an algerian told me about it .
    ciao,,

Leave a comment:

• cheb5alid
    started a topic "Meryool" ?

"Meryool" ?

Anyone knows what "meryool" or "meryoola" means? These are real old (sha3bi) words, and I've asked many Algerians about it but they don't know... I guess an Algerian Sheikh (old person) may know....

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X