Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Animals' lawsuit against Humanity - An Iraqi tale

The Animals' lawsuit against Humanity - An Iraqi tale

"How current this tenth century tale is for today. It addresses environmental and animal rights issues with a surprising effectiveness. A Muslim work translated by a Rabbi into Hebrew for a 14th century Christian king, now translated by a Rabbi into English, edited by a Christian and illustrated by a Muslim, this is a true interfaith title. This particular story was popular in European Jewish communities into the late 19th and early 20th centuries."

In this interfaith and multicultural fable, eloquent representatives of all members of the animal kingdom—from horses to bees — come before the respected Spirit King to complain of the dreadful treatment they have suffered at the hands of humankind. During the ensuing trial, where both humans and animals testify before the King, both sides argue their points ingeniously, deftly illustrating the validity of both sides of the ecology debate.

The ancient antecedents of this tale are thought to have originated in India, but the first written version of the story was penned in Arabic by members of the Islamic "Brethren of Purity", Ikhwan al-Safa, a Sufi order, in the environs of Basra, Iraq, sometime before the tenth century of the Common Era. In their version, the story was the twenty-fifth of fifty-one "letters", or treatises, the Rasa'il comprising an encyclopedia, in which were described the mysteries and meaning of life...

More: http://www.fonsvitae.com/animalslawsuit.html

Availability:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...Fencoding=UTF8

(U.S. suppliers included in 'new and used' listings)

It seems interesting.HAve you read it?

Comment

aha, I have. It is interesting as it demonstrates that the concept of 'animal rights' was perhaps better understood then than it is now - a 'trial' today would doubtless include many witnesses for the prosecution from battery farms, scientific laboratories, cosmetic research labs and other such places.

It's also good to understand that there is continuity of thought relating to the need to maintain a harmonious balance with nature and all the creatures of the world.

yalla we were civilized when some people's ancestors were painting themselves with purple woad!

Comment

Indeed seems interesting.
        What about the end? Do they demonstrate who's right?

In our society, man is no longer interested in the animals safety. The ancestors kneew like a non-written law :dunno...you protect them, they'll pprovide you what you need ... or something...

Is more complex, but too late for long statements

Comment

Originally posted by evanescence

What about the end? Do they demonstrate who's right?
          You'll just have to wait for the final trial to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Al-khiyal

You'll just have to wait for the final trial to find out.

It's a looooong way...
            I whant the short version

Comment

It is easy enough to work out the right position to hold - for Muslims there are very specific guidelines about when, how and if to take the life of any animal and animals kept in harsh conditions and mistreated and subjected to suffering and distress are not considered 7alal, i.e. they are not fit for Muslims to eat.

Last year PETA tried to air advertisements in the Arab world, in Arabic, attacking conditions in the Australian sheep industry.

Al-Jazeera refused to broadcast them.

If you feel able to view scenes of cruelty towards animals the commercials can be seen in the following link but I would urge you in all seriousness not to watch it late at night as it is not pleasant viewing. If you are sensitive then don't hurt yourself by watching something that will distress you.

http://www.savethesheep.com/f-aljazeera.asp

Comment

I only red the article, and I decided not to view the spot.Indeed cruel. Why on earth and who can do such a thing?? Skined alive??

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X