No announcement yet.

If you like adventure, read this book!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you like adventure, read this book!

THE EIGHT by Katherine Neville

In the 1970s, Neville went to North Africa as an international consultant to the Algerian government and was living there when the OPEC petroleum embargo took place.

The EIGHT is her debut novel, a story revolving around a chess game plot set in two different time frames: the French revolution of the 1790s and the OPEC embargo of the 1970s. THE EIGHT was translated into 20 languages.

Catherine Velis, is a computer expert with a flair for music, painting, and chess who, on her way to Algeria to work for an accounting firm, is invited to take a mysterious moonlighting assignment: recover the pieces of an old chess set missing for centuries.
    In the midst of the French Revolution, a young novice discovers that her abbey is the hiding place of a chess set, once owned by the great Charlemagne, which allows those who play it to tap into incredible powers beyond the imagination. She eventually comes into contact with the major historical figures of the day, from Robespierre to Napoleon, each of whom has an agenda.
    The Eight is a non-stop ride that recalls the swashbuckling adventures of Indiana Jones. I enjoyed reading it very much but the ending was a bit disappointing! it might be because I stayed up all night to finish it and was too tired to enjoy the ending. I would recommend it especially of you like playing Chess. This is a game of Chess where the pieces are real people and the squares of the chessboard are cities and towns in Algeria, France and the USA. I am not going to reveal more… you read it and enjoy the adventure!

Originally posted by pandora

THE EIGHT by Katherine Neville

In the 1970s, Neville went to North Africa as an international consultant to the Algerian government and was living there when the OPEC petroleum embargo took place.

The EIGHT is her debut novel, a story revolving around a chess game plot set in two different time frames: the French revolution of the 1790s and the OPEC embargo of the 1970s. THE EIGHT was translated into 20 languages.

Catherine Velis, is a computer expert with a flair for music, painting, and chess who, on her way to Algeria to work for an accounting firm, is invited to take a mysterious moonlighting assignment: recover the pieces of an old chess set missing for centuries.
    In the midst of the French Revolution, a young novice discovers that her abbey is the hiding place of a chess set, once owned by the great Charlemagne, which allows those who play it to tap into incredible powers beyond the imagination. She eventually comes into contact with the major historical figures of the day, from Robespierre to Napoleon, each of whom has an agenda.
    The Eight is a non-stop ride that recalls the swashbuckling adventures of Indiana Jones. I enjoyed reading it very much but the ending was a bit disappointing! it might be because I stayed up all night to finish it and was too tired to enjoy the ending. I would recommend it especially of you like playing Chess. This is a game of Chess where the pieces are real people and the squares of the chessboard are cities and towns in Algeria, France and the USA. I am not going to reveal more… you read it and enjoy the adventure!
    Hi Pandora
    I will give it a try, as I dont remember a day passed without a Chess game , againt ppl or against my Pc, I love playing Chess........but hate using ppl as a "Pions"

By the way any Idea why it called EIGHT?

F-
    -
    A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
    By: George Bernard Shaw

Comment

FORT
      Wanna play against me? I'm not very good and didnt play for ages. Join me on yahoo gamess using the same ID of here.

Comment

Originally posted by lazzhar
        FORT
        Wanna play against me? I'm not very good and didnt play for ages. Join me on yahoo gamess using the same ID of here.
        Okay Lazz,
        You know when you play with Algerians, most of the time, they change there mind after they make the move...., and dont blame me if I do it again....., the last game I played against someone from Batna, in open cafe, he change his first move, than later I decided to change my move.....He get so angry and even throw all the game from the Windows (3d floor), the Cafe owner was speecheless.

F-
        -
        A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Comment

[/B][/QUOTE]
          Hi Pandora
          I will give it a try, as I dont remember a day passed without a Chess game , againt ppl or against my Pc, I love playing Chess........but hate using ppl as a "Pions"

F-
          - [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi Fortunato,

Believe me, it is a good read, apart from the last chapter!

As to the number EIGHT, I cannot recall clearly why it was named so. It may either have something to do with mysticism as numbers mean things in the book or the number of sides involved in the game!

I read the book in 2004, and as I was tidying up yesterday, I came across it and thought I would share my interest in the book with A.com…

Comment

[/QUOTE]
            Hi Pandora

F-
            - [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi Fortunato,

Believe me, it is a good read, apart from the last chapter!

As to the number EIGHT, I cannot recall clearly why it was named so. It may either have something to do with mysticism as numbers mean things in the book or the number of sides involved in the game!

I read the book in 2004, and as I was tidying up yesterday, I came across it and thought I would share my interest in the book with A.com…
            [/B][/QUOTE]
            Hi Pandora
            I believe you, I just haven’t find the book yet, and getting via Amazon from where I live is not that easy for me now, nevertheless, I read such a comments about the book

I quote "......One woman I met told me she'd read The Eight seventeen times, because each time she felt she went to another level and was enriched differently. ...."

If I don’t read it I will make it as Gift, in other language

Yes, about why 8? You must be right it must be something to do with Chess, because (2 tours+ 2 horse + 2 crazy queen + 1 king) = make "8" , also there is 8 soldiers (pions), and also the chess 8 black side and 8 right site, I also understood that the book has 8x4 stories

By the way: if you can find a book called # L'amour et le pouvoir # (Les maîtres de Rome T. 1) by de Colleen McCullough, I advise you to read it read it, you will have a detail description of Algeria, and many city (Cirta Constantine) during the Punic war, also the story of traitory of Jugharta by his father in laws Backus...

Take Care....

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X