Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attack of the Remakes, Part IV

Dear folks,

Here in the US there is a film stirring about which has caused a big fuss. Personally, I don't get it, but apparently it is another in a long line of "remakes" which has been produced in an effort to entertain people who are too dim witted to watch a movie and read subtitles
    simultaneously. It is called, " The Ring. " It is the really sad version of the Japanese masterpiece called " Ringu. " In the name of humanity, and for the sake of all TRUE fans of fine foreign films, if you have watched this slickly sick Hollywood version, please have a go at the
    real thing. For those of you who have not had the pleasure, " Ringu " is ceratinly one of the scariest
    films you will ever see...Let's see, no gore, no cussing, no nudity,..." HOw can that be? " you must be thinking... Trust me on this. It is awesome. I saw it in 2000 and I swear I slept with the lights on for a WEEK. I take it out every now and again, around October, and lose another week's sleep every time..Nothing like a good scare, I always say, and this is one of the BEST!

Don't settle for imitations!! Fight the dumbing down of America! Watch MORE foreign films!!! ( OK, for those of you who are not familiar with the phenom of the " Dumbing down " of America, just watch more foreign films anyway... How about this? " HELP FIGHT HOLLYWOOD REMAKES!!! " )

There. I feel cleansed.

Best regards,

Addison

" People in the United States still have a " Tarzan " movie view of Africa. That's because in the movies all you see is jungles and animals. We too watch television, and listen to the radio, and go to dances and fall in love. " Miriam Makeba

Hi Addison,

I couldnft put it better even if I tried to.
    I did see the original version so I will not bother with the remake.

Just to tell you that I have just returned from seeing a movie called 2 weeks notice.
    Have you seen it? I love the Brit. sense of humor it cracks me up. ..lol..
    both Hugh grant and Sandra block did very well but to be honest she is not pretty at all. I prefer the Irish girl with the red hair and was very thrilled when she hit her with the tennis ball in the for headc. lol.

Comment

Dear Zina,

Greetings!! Happy weekend!

Now you know, I am going to HAVE to see " 2 weeks Notice " now. It is on PPV, though I have been avoiding it because I am not a huge fan of Hugh Grant ( I just want to see more variety in his roles...) But I AM a fan of Sandra Bullock. Thought she was wonderful in " While you were sleeping. " " Miss Congeniality, " " A Time to Kill, " and " 28 Days. " I received double delight when I watched " the Net, " because Jeremy Northam was in it with her ( YUM. ) I think I like her so much becasue she does not seem to have that trendy Hollywood look about her, and she seems much more grounded than those other Hollywood
      types. AND she can ACT!

Different tracks for different acts though!!!

I must tell you that I am absolutely SHOCKED that I have finally found another person who has seen the original, " Ringu. " OH MY! I tried to turn some people on to it, and they thought it was " Not as good as " the Ring. " WHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAATT??? I have found that, with a very
      rare exception, that the originals are usually superior to the remakes. WHY ( ????? ) touch something that cannot be made better? Check this out. I work with some people who
      have never even watched ( GASP!!!!! ) a Black and white movie!!! ( " And you're bragging about it? " )
      Inconceivable...But these are the types of people who do not watch foreign films either, so...

The red head you speak of...Am I crazy or is it the same girl who was in the Dreyfuss movie, " Mr. Holland's Opus? " She played clarinet, but not very well at all!!! So sad. That girl made me cry in remembrance ( I had a piano instructor who used to crack my knuckles if
      I got the timing wrong in a piece..She must have been brought up in parochial school!!! )

Hm...I am off to check my PPV listing. Thanks for the recommendation!

Best regards,

Addison

" I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year's fashion. " Lillian Hellman

Comment

Hi Addison

Yes a good week end sweating it out in the gym for most of Sunday.

We do have different taste in the looks depart clol
        That will give us a lot to talk about. I agree Sandra is a very good actress but her looks...?? Never mind that ..lol.
        I love Meryl Streep most in that crowd I have never missed a movie she starred in.
        I think the red hair girl is called Elisabeth sheu or something like that ?!

Comment

Dear Zina,

Greetings to you!

Good for you to do your work out...In the summer I dare not venture out for the heat, and I dislike the atmos of gyms, so I do my own routine at home. In the winter though, I enjoy being outdoors tremendously. When I was young, I went to the gym for awhile, but it is too weird
          now...

Ah! The redhead in " 2 Weeks..." is Alicia Whitt. I have not watched it yet, but taped it off PPV yesterday, so no giveaways!!

Oh yeah, I am stuck on Sandra. If I were a man I think I would be quite smitten. I like that lady Ashley Judd too. They both just look kind of fresh to me...NON Hollywoodian ( if that is a word, and I sincerely hope it isn't. )

Oh Streep. What can be said that has not been said? She is so versatile. Truly on of the greats of my generation. I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite, as I have my favorites in comedy and drama, and it is hard to choose. "Silkwood" would probably be my top pick, followed closely by, " In the Still of the Night. " But her comedies are charming as well, and some quite bittersweet. Had that fellow Sting not been the flavor of the month at the time, I think that the film adaptation of " Plenty " would have been much more successful. Still, Streep was great in it. The same could be said for " Falling in Love, " and " Before and After.." Not great flicks, but, as usual, she was wonderful in them. Loved her in "
          Marvin's Room, " ( with another of my favorite actresses, Dianne Keaton. ) I first saw her in this television miniseries back in the 70s called, " Holocaust. " Ever seen it? Oh, you MUST!! That is the performance that set me on fire. I am interested in knowing what would be in your top group.

I have not seen a lot of Elisabeth Shue, but I like what I have seen so far. She has amazingly beautiful teeth. ( Don't ask...)

Hope you have a pleasant evening/day...

Best regards,

Addison

" Non qui parum habet, sed qui plus cupit, pauper est. "
          ( " It is not the man who has little, but the man who craves more, that is poor. " )
          Seneca, Moral Essays, II, vi

Comment

Hi Addison

Greetings to you my dear. I hope that you are well.

Oh, yes thank you that was her name Alicia.
            Well, where to begin let us discuss movies in here but we will certainly need a thread about sports as I can see we have so much to discuss in that depart.

Going back to Streep I was a little girl when out of Africa came out but I have seen it man many times and never get tired of it. As far as I am concerned, she played very good parts. I remember Cramer Vs cramer; Burning hearts, and cry in the dark, the bridge of Madison, the piano lesson and the list is endless. I loved her in every part. Out Of Africa, still my all time favorite.
            I also like Ashley Judd and how as for Dianne Keaton,I first saw her in Annie hall, she played in many of Woody Allen movies. I loved he in the father of the bride with Steve Martin, completely different from the depressed one we were used to, she was excellent. I also like Annette Bening among many others. Did you see Sweet home Alabama ? I didn't see it yet but read a good review.

Have you read a book called I dreamed of Africa ? It is very good by Kuki Cullingham. It is by an Italian who have settled in Africa I have seen the film with Kim Besenger and some hunk french guy but it didn't work. I loved the book and I 'm reading it again.

Take care & see you soon.

Comment

Dear Zina,

How is your Day/Evening going??? I went in at 0400 hrs this morning, and it is now 12 hrs later...I am presently engaged in the all too thrilling task of doing laundry.
              Luckily, being single, it is not too great a task, but no less tedious. I do not have a dryer. And I think my washer is on its last leg..It was here when I bought the place... Knew it couldn't last forever, but it has been good!

Sports!! Hmmm....I am afraid that I am out of the loop on that one. I like football ( US football, not what you call football and we call soccer ) and baseball, but since I left Baltimore, I have sort of lost my interest in it... Odd, that...Let's see...I guess that is about it. When I
              lived in MD, I had season tickets to O's and the Caps ( hockey ) which I quite enjoyed, but it seems that pro games have become so ugly and all about money that I am simply not interested in them anymore.

What about you?

I see that you have the same trouble as I do when it comes to Streep. I do believe also that when people are consistent in turning out stellar performances, they become quite overlooked and taken for granted after awhile. Um....Dianne Keaton...My fav is still " Baby Boom. " LOVE the transformation of her character's... character!!!

Ashley Judd. That is tough. She is good in drama and in comedy as well. Kind of like Sandra. Let's see, " Double Jeopardy, " or " Someone Like you. " God she is charming in anything. Even that gosh-awful " High Crimes " was saved by the merit of the actors in it.

Annette Benning. Ummm same thing. Good girl or bad girl? "Bugsy, " " The Grifters, " "Valmont... "
              I love it when she is bad, but she was great in " The American Prsident " and "Regarding Henry..."

I am not a fan of Kim Basinger, so I did not see the movie, " I Dreamt of Africa " and I was not aware of the fact that it was first a novel! Which did you prefer? Most people prefer the one they " Do " first. The gentleman you are thinking of, judging by my memory of the video cover at Blockbuster, is Vincent Perez. If you like him, I would highly recommend that you check out " Queen Margot. " ( Don't worry, I will not go forth once more into my Isablle
              Adjani obsession...!! )

I am reading the new Harry Potter book. ( That's right, I admit it!!! ) I love children's books. Some are really grand. Really allow one to relax and slip away...

OK Zina, I will let you go. My washer has stopped so I guess I will get busy hanging my clothes all over the upstairs door frames...( Oh the humanity...! Oh the humility! )

Take care of yourself,

With kind regards,

Addison

" Calamitas virtutis occasio est. "
              ( " Disaster is the opportunity for bravery. " )
              Seneca

Comment

Dear Addison

My days are very long... starting early commuting, having meetings, working very long hours.
                Evenings are spent in restaurants in mid town Tokyo, entertaining or getting intertained by clients and business associates it goes on and on until very late. I need my sleep and as I cannot drink, I feel bad...lol.

Sports are my life long passion. I love Tennis, Cyclism (never miss the tour de France) football only the world cupclol. I have stated playing golf lately it is a religion in here. I practice Aikido; yoga and I played Tennis since I was 3 years old. It is my salvation...lol it keeps me sane in this fast moving world and the pressure to make money for my employers can be unbearable at times.

For the movies oh, yes of course, I know Vincent Peres I was not sure you knew him...I'm most impressed... Wow...La Reine Margot, that was big I mean I still canft understand why she didnft get the palme dfor in Cannes for it?
                I love her works did you see her in Camille Claudel? I mean Ajani of course.lol
                I em a huge fan and feel she deserve more credit than that but at the same time she is her worst enemy she goes into hiding for years and turns down good parts. Many good roles have been given to Sophie Marceau she is Ok but not the best as far as Ifm concerned. Yes I dreamed of Africa was a book first I read it in 1997 and the movie was made 2 years ago a big flop.lol You cannot do a remake of out of Africa it is once in a life time movie that was! We should discuss the Brit. or Irish rather, do you like Liam Nissen? I have a crush on himclol

For the machine I am spoiled rotten, my company provides me with a luxurious accommodation fully equipped by high tech.
                As for being single yes Ifm and enjoying every moment of it but my special one is keeping an eye on me long distanceclol.

Comment

Only for Japaneese

Hello Zina

Is that true that in Japan, many place are reseved "ONLY FOR JAPANEESE"?

Comment

Dear Zina,

my goodness, yes you are very invloved in extracurricular activities, are you not??? I would go completely mad in that type of atmosphere...Wining and dining, so to speak. You must be quite good at it though, or else you would not be the one doing the most of it!!

I must admit, the Tokyo night life sounds ever so exciting, but I am too much the private person to enjoy such outings on a regular basis...That is to say, if it were a part of my job, I think I would not care for it too much. To do so on a personal level, yes, but not as part of
                    business. I admire your stamina. It is no small wonder to me now that you are so atheletically inclined...You'd HAVE to be!!! I work 6 days a week here, and apart from walking and weights, I am happy to be quite bovine...Golf here is very popular too,...it amazes me to see how many people are into it...But here it is a sport associated with those who have disposable income. Therefore I have no use for it...! Interesting that I used to be really into tennis when Connors and Nastase were playing...I lost interest in it later...Soccer ( your football ) has not quite caught on here...It is getting better though...I think that cable and satellite have done a lot to bring it to the US in terms of popularity. Personally, I rather like cricket.

It is good that you have many activities that allow you to use the energy that could otherwise be turned into something negative. When I was doing work with the prison system, I tried to make the sups understand that if we give these people something constructive to do with their energy, then they will be able to use it when they get out, instead of reverting to the only outlet for their energies that they feel they have. Get me?

You are the only other person apart from myself, whom I have ever heard refer to Sophie as a pseudo-Adjani. When I first saw her I thought, " This woman is the new Adjani. If Adjani won't play, then Sophie will. " She is a good runner up, I will give her that, but certainly no replacement. Yes, I agree that Adjani is consistently under-rated. Even if the movie is under par, her performance always lifts it to greater heights.

Ya, I like Liam. Ciaran Hinds, Gabriel Byrne, John Lynch, and Daniel Day Lewis as well. I saw Liam's wife Natasha Richardson on broadway a few years ago...I quite like her...She is so much like her mother, it is frightening. Even the way she speaks! Genetics, huh??? It boggles the mind...

A long distance love? How charming! DOn't be coy! Sounds exciting!

Hope you are having a nice weekend,

Best regards,

Addison

" Crescit audacia experimento. "
                    ( Boldness increases through trial. "
                    Pliny the Younger, Episples, IX, xxxiii

Comment

Hi Zina and Addison,

I've never seen a movie with Adjani in it, or if did, didn't realize it. Any you gals can recommend?? With all this heat outside, its time to plunk in a couple of videos and drink some tall ones --lemonades that is.

I saw the Hollywood version of The Ring and was disapointed cause the actress Naomi Watts had been sooo amazing in the David Lynch film. But she didn't have much of a character to play in The Ring; not such a great movie --to put it charitably. Anyway, on your recommendation, I will check out Ringu!

Thanx,
                      Xerxes

Addison: I meant to respond to your nice post on the thread "Algeria" but since we'd gotten off topic from Algeria, I didn't know how to resume the converstaion, if you know what I mean. Sometimes, being on a bulletin board forum feels like being at a cocktail party -- social niceties that I don't always grasp. That goes double when you're visiting another culture!

Comment

Dear Xerxes,

Greetings and happy weekending...A for Adjani movies, I would recommend ALL of them.. ( sorry...I am unabashedly fanatical about her. ) Well, I would say, " Camille Claudel, " " Queen Margot, " " The Story of Adele H., " Quartet, " " Nosferatu, the Vampyre, " (with one of my favs, Bruno Gantz ) and even the less than satisfying remake of the b/w classic, " Diabolique, " if for no other reason than to see what she can do even with a less than satisfying remake of a b/w classic. ( Oh, and Sharon is stunning as always, as that doesn't hurt. )

The heat here is oppressive as well, but I must go out later on and wash my car, and clean him out. I find that if I do it once a week it is not nearly so much of a chore. But it is so humid, and nasty...Thank goodness for the luxury of a/c. I cannot imagine how I did without it when I was young, but I know that I did...Go fig...Yes, summer, to me, is made for Blockbuster...( Well, I did
                        see "finding Nemo " at the theatre, and that was great! On matinee, and that was Cheap! ) You like iced khave?? Great in the summer!! It is what crushed ice was created for!

Yes, you MUST see " Ringu. " Full stop. I ADORE a good scare ( that is, without the guts and blood and gore..That
                        is not frightening, it is just gross. ) The first time I saw " Ringu, " I even wrote down in my journal, " I don't think this is going to be very scary...But I'll check it out because it has a good reputation. " BAM!!!!! I think I slept for a full 7 and a half MINUTES that first night!!!
                        If ever it would have paid off to have a man in my life, that would have been the time!!! He would have had my grip marks all over his body...I slept ( HA! ) with the lights on that night!! AND the night after, ...and...for about a week those images kept popping into my head. Thrilling, I tell you!

I quite understand about the other thread...It is the nature of these things. They roam from one subject to another. Very interesting indeed...I have made a study of how we do this in our thought processes. Started it back in 79...

Anyway, I was really enjoying the photos, you know??? I never get to travel, and to see photos like that is a real pleasure...And Lit, well, I read that new Harry Potter book and it was great! I keep thinking that I will be disappointed with each new book, but as of yet, I am still quite enthralled. I do not find much merit in much of American 20th c Lit, and certainly even less in the 21st cent, as it is unbelieveably vulgar, and I simply cannot tolerate such a way of writing. It shows how decadent and depraved our society has become. I am a sensualist, to be sure, but what I find erotic and intoxicating are quite different from the things that most people in today's society would consider to be so. Do you follow me? I guess that is why I always end up re-reading the classics. I seldom venture out without one of my dusty volumes, but I never tire of them. They say that once you read a mystery, the thrill is gone. Not so! I have read Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes adventures again and again, and never fail to revel in his genius or delight in the thrill of a mystery well-solved... It would seem that in most US markets, in order for a work of fiction to sell, it must contain graphic violence, graphic depection of sexual acts, and a profusion of profanity. What the DEVIL is that all about??? SO, I stay with the classics, or with children's lit, and I assure you that there are some GREAT children's books out there, and not all of them necessarily target an adolescent audience...

But I digress...you are right. Sometimes these boards can be a bit like the garden party...and I, perhaps more than most, am guilty of being culturally inept. However, with all the differences that prevail, I have also found that among us all are many similarities: hopes, desires, wishes unfulfilled, regrets, angers, fears...the list goes on. I suppose that I should like to continue with my grasping at straws until someone puts their finger over the reed that I am breathing through.

I am not able to travel, and so I like always to hear as much as I can from people who do, and from people who have lived many places, and are from other places, so that I might imagine being there myself. It is highly Romantic a notion, but I cannot negate it. Nor, would I want to....

Nice to hear from you,

Best regards,

Addison

" Oh, what a heaven is love! Oh, what a hell! " Thomas Dekker

Comment

Romantic Indeed

Hi Addision,

Not to harp on the issue, but perhaps your romanticism is tied to your vows of celibacy. You're right, evrything has been debased in American culture, primarily "sex" and "god". -- I was probably most "romantic" as a pre-adolescent -- I had crushes on movie stars and such -- now, I am too jaded and see the celebrity or actor behind the mask. Ah, well, too late to turn back time.

Maybe cause of this my favorite movies are those I saw around that time --

So Ringu is that scary?? On second thought, I might not get it. I had a terrible time after seeing that psuedo-documentary set in the woods of Maryland -- what was that called? the kids going off to investigate a legend about a witch.. it will come to me.. anyway, that hit too close to home since I used to go hiking alot -- scared the s*it out of me.

I haven't read any of the Potter books -- I do like Narnia, so maybe I'll have a go (as the Brits say). Are you British or do you just like their manner of speech? I notice you lard your posts with it, ha ha.

After I read War and Peace, I'll read the Potter books for desert, hows that? Interesting tidbit about Tolstoy -- he used to write about his marital indiscretions in his journal which his poor wife, while editing, was forced to read. Can this be true? I need to double-check.

X,

Comment

Greetings Xerxes!

Why do I feel as if I must make some gesture after I say that in my head...Such as pounding my fist on my chest and then throwing my arm out as if to say, " Hail Caesar! "

Yes, I would imagine that my sentiments are in some very large way related to the fact that I am celibate. I have a very out-dated, Old World view of relationships as well, and these things are certainly intertwined. And yet, I do not feel in the least bit apologetic for it. Nevertheless, though I tend to be naive in some areas, you must not imagine for a moment that I am the Colonel's daughter straight out of the convent. I know well the reality of the way most men and women regard one another, and perhaps this is why I chose to separate myself from all of it. One cannot live in a dream world or else reality becomes too terrifying. No. I have an Ideal, but I have no less regard for Reality. Make sense?

As for crushes on stars and what not, I think all young people go through this if they are in any degree exposed to it. But as you say, we grow out of it as we get older, and become more involved in ...Life!

I think the movie you are referring to is " The Blair Witch Project. " I had read about the making of it before it was released, so I knew it was a hoax. It is amusing though to think that a low-budget film made by a group of kids on a winter break with what amounts to little more
                            than their combined allowances, turned such a huge profit! But yes, if you approach it as a real event, then this is the type of thing that I enjoy. What do you call it? Psychological terror? I cannot put a name to it. It is not at all the same as the slasher movies, but no less
                            visceral an experience. Help me out...

Another one you will enjoy is an older film, one of my favorites, with George C. Scott called " The Changeling. " A wonderful ghost story. Once again, no blood and guts, no slashers, no driller-killers, no chainsaws...Just a great ghost story. You must see it. Not scary like " Ringu, " but a solid 'fraid flick with some really creepy scenes, especially one with "automatic writing " which still creeps me out no matter how many times I see it. You will
                            definitely flinch a few times...DEFINITELY.

Lewis fan, are you? Yes indeed-y. I think you will enjoy the adventures of Harry Potter after all..When you have the time, of course...

No, I am not British. I am from Baltimore. But I was surrounded for much of my youth by more books than humans, and I believe that my speech has been affected by this. I realize that my manner of speaking can be a bit archaic, and I do apologize for this.

Tolstoy's wife , it is rumoured, found out about Tolstoy's indescretions with a French servant girl through the confession of the old fellow himself. Later though, when she was copying the manuscript for his work, " Resurrection, " she saw the scene enacted before her in print, much to her mortification, as he disallowed her the right to publish her edited copy of the manuscript.

Ah, Men...

Ah, Women!!!

Fidelity...how long ago its nobility faded into nothing more than a ghostly presence...

Take care Xerxes...And enjoy your book!! Ah books!! What comforts therein...

Best regards,

Addison

" I grant I am a woman, but, withal,
                            A woman that Lord Brutus took to wife;
                            I grant I am a woman, but, withal,
                            A woman well-reputed, Cato's daughter.
                            Think you I am no stronger than my sex,
                            Being so fathered and so husbanded? "
                            Julius Caesar, II, i

Comment

Originally posted by Addison
                              Dear folks,

Here in the US there is a film stirring about which has caused a big fuss. Personally, I don't get it, but apparently it is another in a long line of "remakes" which has been produced in an effort to entertain people who are too dim witted to watch a movie and read subtitles
                              simultaneously. It is called, " The Ring. " It is the really sad version of the Japanese masterpiece called " Ringu. " In the name of humanity, and for the sake of all TRUE fans of fine foreign films, if you have watched this slickly sick Hollywood version, please have a go at the
                              real thing. For those of you who have not had the pleasure, " Ringu " is ceratinly one of the scariest
                              films you will ever see...Let's see, no gore, no cussing, no nudity,..." HOw can that be? " you must be thinking... Trust me on this. It is awesome. I saw it in 2000 and I swear I slept with the lights on for a WEEK. I take it out every now and again, around October, and lose another week's sleep every time..Nothing like a good scare, I always say, and this is one of the BEST!

Don't settle for imitations!! Fight the dumbing down of America! Watch MORE foreign films!!! ( OK, for those of you who are not familiar with the phenom of the " Dumbing down " of America, just watch more foreign films anyway... How about this? " HELP FIGHT HOLLYWOOD REMAKES!!! " )

There. I feel cleansed.

Best regards,

Addison

" People in the United States still have a " Tarzan " movie view of Africa. That's because in the movies all you see is jungles and animals. We too watch television, and listen to the radio, and go to dances and fall in love. " Miriam Makeba
                              Hey Addison,

Being in Europe it's much easier to watch foreign films, i particularly love watching french ones but thanks for the insight into the original version of 'The Ring'. I had heard of it but couldn't find it anywhere..(unaware of the maximum fear factor it provides)..its now available on DVD here in the UK but I admit the american one scared me silly so i can only imagine what the original will do to me..My boyfriend has offered to rent to it,but i'm still in limbo about it,as i will show myself to be a wet blanket..and usually i'm an ice queen who can watch anything!..hellllpppp!!
                              Kendra
                              'He who heard the truth in the morning might die content in the evening.'(Confucious)..

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X