Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seriously, why would a female want to stay a Muslim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seriously, why would a female want to stay a Muslim?

Seriously, I really have a hard time with this question. Women in a large majority of Muslim nations have little to no rights compared to the men. They are treated as 2nd class citizens with little respect from what I am used to. The men are rewarded when they get to heaven with virgins, what is the women to have for a reward for staying a virgin her whole life? Some creepy horny man that is going to take all that away from her? Are there any religious leaders in Islam that are women? If so, what position do they hold? Did Muhammad treat women this way also or is this something that the common man has come up with to maintain control?
    Who rules the house behind closed doors? I know the women in public don't rule anything, but I was wondering if that changes once inside the house with the family. Does the husband treat her as an equal, or does she spend her whole life living to serve a man?

I don't know if anyone can fill in your enormous knowledge gaps in a single post. Could you amplify your sweeping generalisations?

Comment

It would be near impossible for me a man to convince ladies of something which really requires an answer from a lady but...

Islam is something which liberates a person both male and female. Islam gave ladies their rights. Now im not talking about the basics such as inheritance, economic equality, right of divorce, vote, etc... no im talking about the knowledge and ultimate feeling that we are created by God and with God watching over us we cannot be suppressed in our hearts male and female.

The freedom that we develop such a deep and distinct love for Allah(swt) that we feel everything we do must be to please Him which ultimately brings us and our families the greatest pleasure.

There is no greater freedom for a lady than to pray, have a loving husband, bring up with her husband and family wonderful children and always take the utmost pride in trying her best to please Allah(swt), these are what make up the pride of a Muslim lady and I as a Muslim man cannt explain the admiration and personal respect I have for a lady who loves Allah(swt) with all of her heart and fulfils her duties to Allah(swt).

If bad people and bad regimes and bad ideologies wish to suppress a ladies free and beautiful ability to do this then yes I agree why would she want to remain in that group but not why would she want to remain as a Muslim.

Comment

Originally posted by ElHenni
        If bad people and bad regimes and bad ideologies wish to suppress a ladies free and beautiful ability to do this then yes I agree why would she want to remain in that group but not why would she want to remain as a Muslim.
        I agree whole heatedly, but is she free to express her desires and interests in Islam? Meaning, can she be a free thinker about the religion and her relationship with Muhammad and God? I am not very knowledgeable about the various divisions within Islam but it seems to be a rather straight forward and strict religion.

I am still interested if there is a women in power within the Muslim faith. Anyone have an example for me please?

Comment

Originally posted by Al-khiyal
          I don't know if anyone can fill in your enormous knowledge gaps in a single post. Could you amplify your sweeping generalisations?
          You seem to understand English pretty well. I admit they are too many questions and they seem to run on a bit, but they really are honest questions that my society projects to me about this part of the world. So I figured I would ask the proper people these instead of what else I hear. If you would rather me go back to watching FOX news to get my info then so be it, but I feel that we would both loose out in the end with this choice.

P.S. I do not care for sarcasm if that is all you have to offer me.

Comment

What do you mean by 'in power'? There are women preachers, if that is your question. A recent survey taken among Muslim women from some eight nations reported that they didn't see themselves as oppressed and you would not have to go far to find Muslimas who would argue against the view that they are. Muslimas have attained high political office, including presidencies, there are Muslima soldiers, university lecturers, doctors, scientists, lawyers, judges etc. - I can recall Muslimas being in charge of major engineering and construction projects.

It would pay to look a little more at the facts on the ground in Muslim societies without making generalisations - there are social problems there as there are anywhere but trying to pin them all on Islam is a narrow and ultimately futile exercise.

Comment

The Holy Prophet (saw) said that all Muslims are preachers, women are included in this.

The Holy Prophet (saw) also said that ALL Muslims should seek knowledge, there are two famous hadiths,

1. seek knowledge from the cradle to the grave
              2. seek knowledge even if you find it in China (my translation on the 2nd one)

The Holy Qur'an encourages us to question our belief in Allah's(swt) teachings and Islam as part of a process to add to the strength of our faith and expand our knowledge.

In accordance with Islam a lady can hold almost any kind of position of authority be her a University lecturer, Scientist, Regional or National administrative leader or doctor etc...

Women are allowed to reach stations where they would have men working for them or at their command.

Mohammad (saw) said ''respect the person in authority of you even if that person is an Abysinian slave with a head like a date'' (again this is my translation - google any of these and they are very wide-spread) The proper measure of freedom of thought is judged by you as the thought is between you and God alone.

Islam places no restrictions on freedom of thought provided that one applies respect and decency to their ideas and expressions of those ideas. Ladies used to go to Mohammad(saw) and question him on every kind of subject regardless of the intimacy, severeness etc... of the subject.

Islam makes a restriction in two things,

a. The Imam should be a man
              b. Prayers where mean and women are present should always be lead by a man.

Ultimately freedom of thought in this day and age is not limited by Islam in terms of open punishments for thinking this or that. Islam provides many guidlines to secure the welfare or you, your family and greater society and it is for you to assess and investigate those guidelines and then impliment them yourself. So the restriction should come from you and you alone otherwise it is a worthless thing and void of blessing, how can Allah(swt) bless you on the day of judgement for something you were forced to think and how can Allah(swt) punish you on the day of judgement for not believing in something which society didnt allow you to understand properly.

If we lived in a complete and ideal Islamic state as in the first 60 years of Islam then there would be a classical Islamic argument for punishments and impositions on certain ideologies which were fundametally harmful to society. The difference there would be that in a clear and proper Islamic society as that of the Khulufat-e-Rashideen each and every able minded person of that society would fully understand all their duties and would have a level of piety that would allow them to know precisely what is allowed and what isnt - we cannot have that level of clarity in this day and age or not until the Mahdi and Messiah would arrive to raise the spiritual level of mankind and the Ummah.

Oppression is not from Islam but from men that have a thirst for greed and control be they the wife beater around the corner, Saddam Hussein, Hitler or el-Presidente Bush...

Comment

bang bang

You might find interesting answers in my last link.

this link is going to scare you even more

http://www.swissinfo.org/eng/top_new...=1103562836000

Have you heard about Yvonne Ridley ? the British Journalist kidnapped by the Talibans ? After she was relased and came back to Britain she converted to islam . scary isnit ???
                http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3673730.stm

Did you know many More Latinas are converting to islam (IN the US )
                http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/1227/p11s02-ussc.html
                Friendship

[60:8] GOD does not enjoin you from befriending those who do not fight you because of religion, and do not evict you from your homes. You may befriend them and be equitable towards them. GOD loves the equitable.

[60:9] GOD enjoins you only from befriending those who fight you because of religion, evict you from your homes, and band together with others to banish you. You shall not befriend them. Those who befriend them are the transgressors

Comment

women in islam had their own Property and money 1400 years ago and their husband could not touch their property if the women decided so , British women s properties and anything they owned belonged to their husbands until 1882.

Islam came to liberate the woman (at the time seen as a burden by all Major religions ) and education was supposed to be a right for both sexes .
                  Friendship

[60:8] GOD does not enjoin you from befriending those who do not fight you because of religion, and do not evict you from your homes. You may befriend them and be equitable towards them. GOD loves the equitable.

[60:9] GOD enjoins you only from befriending those who fight you because of religion, evict you from your homes, and band together with others to banish you. You shall not befriend them. Those who befriend them are the transgressors

Comment

bang bang

Do you want me to name a few women ministers in gov in some muslim countries , or Prime ministers (bengladesh , pakistan ) or doctors , engineers , et.. which ones ?
                    Friendship

Comment

Originally posted by Bang_Bang
                      Seriously, I really have a hard time with this question. Women in a large majority of Muslim nations have little to no rights compared to the men.
                      Wrong...My country proves that you are wrong....

1- Turkish women were granted the right to vote and to be elected in municipal elections on April 3,1930.

2- The necessary constitutional reforms which were implemented by the Turkish Grand National Assembly on December 3, 1934, granted women the right to be elected and to vote in general elections.

The above is an indication about Turkey which has 98 % Muslim population, what was the situation in majority of the "civilised" European countries in same time period any way?

They are treated as 2nd class citizens with little respect from what I am used to.
                      My mother and sister would definatelly disagree with this statement as two devoted Soroptimists....My sister might also consider to sue you as a horrible lawyer...

The men are rewarded when they get to heaven with virgins, what is the women to have for a reward for staying a virgin her whole life?
                      What Christianity offers to women in paradise, any way?

By the way, we don't reward the women (or men) for staying a virgin her whole life in Islam....This is a Christian way which is redicilous and also against the nature any way....

Some creepy horny man that is going to take all that away from her?
                      What is the situation in Christian countries? They respect women too much and not take that away from her? So that all Christian women are virgins?

Are there any religious leaders in Islam that are women? If so, what position do they hold?
                      I know quite a few of them.... By the way, what position Christian women hold in church?

Did Muhammad treat women this way also or is this something that the common man has come up with to maintain control?
                      What was the position of the women in Christian communities 1400 years ago?

Who rules the house behind closed doors?
                      At our home...My mother.... And my sister seemingly follows her foot prints....

I know the women in public don't rule anything, but I was wondering if that changes once inside the house with the family.
                      Oh, we had a female prime minister a decade ago....After seeing how she destroyed the country's economy, i have serious concern that women should rule my country's economy any more...

Does the husband treat her as an equal, or does she spend her whole life living to serve a man?
                      According to the civil law in my country, yes...They are equal as in any of the civilised country but woman right violation is a global disease... You know, the situation is not so bright in Christian countries any way...

PS. Sorry for being sarcastic but it is not in my hand.... I am just a sarcastic man....

Comment

Of course i do not believe the thread starter to be serious in any way, since she did make sweeping remarks about Muslimahs. Anyone with a clear vision can see this. But what made you guys so sure she could be a Christian woman trying to proselytize Muslims? And even if she is one, she would be a really obnoxious one at that.

You don't have to attack another religion to prove your point to someone who has yet to tell anyone here what her religion is.

Comment

Originally posted by _DigitaLVampirE_
                          Of course i do not believe the thread starter to be serious in any way, since she did make sweeping remarks about Muslimahs. Anyone with a clear vision can see this. But what made you guys so sure she could be a Christian woman trying to proselytize Muslims? And even if she is one, she would be a really obnoxious one at that.

You don't have to attack another religion to prove your point to someone who has yet to tell anyone here what her religion is.
                          Come on, Digi....

1- I am able to read her entire posts, thanks to the a.com archive ( and i did it... )...If there is any possibility that she might be, for instance, a Muslim or a Jew or a Budhist, just tell us....

2- Read the above posts...Nobody responded her in more disrespectful way than she did....I might be a bit sarcastic but as i stated earlier, this is my nature...

PS. I don't mean that she is a provacator, i definately do not think so...Errr...But all what i try to express that if you live in a glass house, you must think twice before throwing stones...

Comment

Actually, you disrespected Christians also by boasting how better off the Muslims are than the Christians (did you even read your own posts?). There are Christian Members of this forum too, you know.

You didn't have to stoop to her level. Besides, how did you reach to the conclusion that she is indeed a Christian? Because she believes the FOX network is an 'unbiased' source?

I don't think you understood the criticism of her remarks i posted earlier. I don't think a discussion concerning criticisms (be it constructive or otherwise - as in her case) of a religion should be followed by a comparative attack of another religion which was never in the discussion in the first place.

If an anonymous person posted a similar thread criticizing Christians, I would not have resorted to low levels of debating by comparing the 'good of Christianity with the bad of Islam'. Thats the kind of poppycock talk only imbeciles would resort to. Educate Bang_Bang of her ignorance about Islam, but do not resort by attacking other religions where its not warranted.

I have always thought of you as a fair minded guy. I would hate to change my opinion of you just because of one person who criticized your faith. I have had my fair share of people attacking my faith also (several times over). But i have never allowed morons to undermine my faith. I never was insecure about my faith or beliefs, just as you shouldn't also.

Comment

ElHenni, thank you for the reply. It was very informative. You hit the nail on the head with your comments. I think you might be the only one that read my post that did not immediately turn on the defensive. Your statements on basic and religious rights was just what I was looking for.

As for the defensive posters, my intent was not to stone you in any way, I only said that I was under the impression that Muslim women are not equal in most Muslim societies. If that is so offensive to you then I am sorry, but you are maybe too sensitive to be reading post on the Internet if something so mild affects you so greatly.

Hatt, you should know better, the word 'majority' in English does not mean 100%. My wife is Turkish for crying out loud, I am very familiar with your culture and country. But she will not talk about religion with me.

That is partly what brings me here from time to time. My wife and I are in the planning stages of having children still as we have been for some time now. I am not a religious person at all (for those that wanted to know) and she is not really either for that matter. But she was raised a Muslim and her family still practices back home. They (her family) have expressed to me their desire for our children to become Muslim and I am not so sure I am ok with that yet. I am no fan of any organized religion mainly because I feel that my relationship with God should not be set according to anybody elses rules or guidelines. I could care less what other people do with their God as long as it does not affect me. To get to the point, when I 1st came here I was about as knowledgeable about Islam as the rock next to your foot right now. All I really knew was the common misconceptions that a lot of westerners have and have been feed. I came to ask questions, not toss stones, because from what I see and read I would be afraid if I had a daughter that I would not want her to become a Muslim because she would not be treated equally within the group. I already knew that their are plenty of women in power across the Muslim world, you would be crazy not to harness the vast wisdom they have. Anyway, the one statement that I enjoyed the most out of this thread that did change my mind was from ElHenn when he/she said: "The Holy Qur'an encourages us to question our belief in Allah's(swt) teachings and Islam as part of a process to add to the strength of our faith and expand our knowledge." That right there is the most awesome thing I have heard yet and it will allow your religion to continue to grow and become personal.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X