Tomb of the prophet Daniel reported destroyed in Iraq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomb of the prophet Daniel reported destroyed in Iraq

Baghdad, July 29, 2007 - The tomb of the prophet Daniel was destroyed Sunday in Baquba, the provincial capital of Diyala, a police source told Deutsche Presse-Agentur dpa. "Unidentified individuals planted a load of high explosives around the tomb of the prophet Daniel in al-Wajihiya area, thus destroying it completely and razing it to the ground," the source said.

The attack was carried out by gunmen, who later attacked residents of a nearby village, killing five and kidnapping at least 13 others, the independent news agency Voices of Iraq (VOI) reported.

"A group of gunmen using 4x4 vehicles planted a load of explosives around the tomb and detonated it bringing down the edifice and its green dome," the source told VOI.

"The gunmen proceeded to Bahbasa village near al-Wajihiya and killed five villagers and kidnapped at least 13 others, fleeing the scene unscathed," he added.

Al-Wajihiya lies in al-Maqdadiya district, one of the adminstrative districts of Diyala, which lies 57 Kilometres north- east Baghdad.

Daniel was one of the most important prophets in the Old Testament.

Oh My GOD!!

Mish bas violating the resting place of the dead and disrespecting Allah himself, but a PROPHET?! A PROPHET??!!!

Allah yil3anhon ya rabb... InshaAllah yin7ir2ou bi asfal wadi jahanam

...sigh... la hawla wala quwata illa bi Allah

Comment

What exactly is "Earth Times" (the periodical in which the article was published)? And what is "Voices of Iraq"? Dreadful news either way, but I'm just curious about the sources.

V

Comment

Deutsche Presse-Agentur

Aswat Al Iraq / Voices of Iraq

The report is also being carried by a number of other news sites, including an Iranian report which adds the important caveat "The attack came a short time after they completely destroyed a tomb which some residents believe to be the tomb of the prophet Daniel."

I am aware that claims are also made that Daniel's tomb is located in the province of Kirkuk, and another claim is that his tomb is in Iran.

Comment

Either way it's someone's burial place, I guess. Very sad

V

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X