Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• See. Hear. Ponder: Sister Aminah Assilmi

Salaam everyone.

Post here any audio, video or other by Sister Aminah Assilmi.

Part 1

Part 2

I've never heard of her.... ... but you GO girl!! You show them our value!

One thing that Arab guys ALWAYS bring up is that ayah from the Quran (i think from surat al nur ) that says when you need witnesses, you'll have to have 2 women to replace a man....

I was speechless as to what to say, but then I called my mom (aka: personal shari3a encyclopedia ) and asked her how can we be equal if it says that... So she told me that women forget - and I said, well so do men!! And then she said, "true, but women have much higher stress and worry levels than men and that causes them to forget more, so if one of the women testifying says something wrong - cuz she FORGOT- the other one reminds her"

I dunno bout anyone else, but that was the perfect explanation and that shut up all those dumb guys for good

Ahahha! Her son is adorable!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bent_Bladi View Post
      I've never heard of her.... ... but you GO girl!! You show them our value!
      Her reversion story is extraordinary MashaAllah it brought tears to my eyes! You can read it here.

Comment

One thing that Arab guys ALWAYS bring up is that ayah from the Quran (i think from surat al nur ) that says when you need witnesses, you'll have to have 2 women to replace a man....

I was speechless as to what to say, but then I called my mom (aka: personal shari3a encyclopedia ) and asked her how can we be equal if it says that... So she told me that women forget - and I said, well so do men!! And then she said, "true, but women have much higher stress and worry levels than men and that causes them to forget more, so if one of the women testifying says something wrong - cuz she FORGOT- the other one reminds her"

I dunno bout anyone else, but that was the perfect explanation and that shut up all those dumb guys for good
        Your Mum is right. Naturally of course!

The first part of the answer to your question is in the same passage of the Qur'an. See Surah 2 Ayah 282.

As for the reason behind it, it's an interesting point about forgetting due to stress. If I may add also, I think it's a protection for the woman. Why?

Because:

Women are generally more emotional than men.
        Therefore it is more likely for women to be influenced by men's views and decisions than the other way round.
        (Part of the same reason why a Muslim woman should not marry a non-Muslim).
        And this is where another woman is required as a moral support and with whom she would feel more comfortable to talk to, instead of the man who, by the way, could be a complete stranger.

Note also the word used in the Ayah is not "forget" (تنسى) but "deviate" or "err" (تضل)(which could include "forgetting") and the remedy is "to remind" (تذكّر) which interestingly in Arabic could also mean "to guide" amongst other meanings. E.g. The Qur'an is a "reminder".

W'Allahu A3lam.

Comment

Originally posted by Shotokan_Karate View Post
          Your Mum is right. Naturally of course!

The first part of the answer to your question is in the same passage of the Qur'an. See Surah 2 Ayah 282.

As for the reason behind it, it's an interesting point about forgetting due to stress. If I may add also, I think it's a protection for the woman. Why?

Because:

Therefore it is more likely for women to be influenced by men's views and decisions than the other way round.
          And this is where another woman is required as a moral support and with whom she would feel more comfortable to talk to, instead of the man who, by the way, could be a complete stranger.

Note also the word used in the Ayah is not "forget" (تنسى) but "deviate" or "err" (تضل)(which could include "forgetting") and the remedy is "to remind" (تذكّر) which interestingly in Arabic could also mean "to guide" amongst other meanings. E.g. The Qur'an is a "reminder".

W'Allahu A3lam.
          interesting... i agree 95% ...

...but:

It's not that we're more emotional than men, it's that we let it out more often than men do - so it would seem to an observer that we cry a lot cuz we're little babies. But if dudes weren't so obsessed with their macho image, they're cry as often as we do

Anyways - women being influenced by men's views?? hahaha!!! i BEG to differ... Yeah, men won't be influenced by our views or decisions but neither will we... maybe it was like that a long time ago, but now mister, women look down at men - the day a woman is influenced by what a man says because he's a man (not cuz it just makes sense) is the day that woman get's a sex change surgery and becomes a dude.

By the way - women aren't supposed to marry non-muslims cuz of the kids - not cuz they're easily influenced... anyways - if she marries a non-muslim (and if a non-muslim marries a muslim) then it's usually cuz both of them don't care that much about religion... or their future kids' religion at that... this is another really long discussion that i won't open...

I agree w/ the other woman as moral support - I know i wouldn't be comfortable talking in a room full of men... way too shy for that

Comment

Her reversion story is extraordinary MashaAllah it brought tears to my eyes! You can read it here.
            Yeah, when I read her conversion story - i recognized her... i think i read about her somewhere in an islamic magazine...

...dude, you should read suhaib webb's conversion story - THAT one is intense! (you should do a see, hear, ponder thing about him too )
            Last edited by Bent_Bladi; 5th August 2007, 04:41.

Comment

Don't worry, he's on the list too You read my mind!

More intense than that!! Obviously I haven't read his reversion story yet.

Comment

It's not that we're more emotional than men, it's that we let it out more often than men do
                Well yes, and that's why you're more often in a vulnerable situation and become prone to influence.

A strong woman or indeed man are those who can control their emotions. (and it isn't just about crying )
                Men are better equipped to do that (excluding aggression perhaps), but it's possible for both sexes.

Originally posted by Bent_Bladi
                By the way - women aren't supposed to marry non-muslims cuz of the kids
                That's why I said "Part of the same reason why..."

Besides, by your logic, does that mean a Muslim woman is allowed to marry a non-Muslim man if they decided not to have kids? Say due to old age or for one reason or another.

Originally posted by Bent_Bladi
                Anyways - women being influenced by men's views?? hahaha!!! i BEG to differ... Yeah, men won't be influenced by our views or decisions but neither will we... maybe it was like that a long time ago, but now mister, women look down at men - the day a woman is influenced by what a man says because he's a man (not cuz it just makes sense) is the day that woman get's a sex change surgery and becomes a dude.
                lol, BB, as long as your observation: "Yeah, men won't be influenced by our views or decisions" stays true, then men, in general, continue to take the lead.

It's not necessarily a bad thing! After all, we are created differently from each other, physically as well as psychologically, for our own benefit! As a result, is it the man's job to protect the woman and ensure equality between the sexes, and the woman has to remain a strong individual, guard her defences and choose wisely her environment. (...and kick the man's bottom if he doesn't do his job properly )

P.S. Check out Gender differences here.

Although, we can't ignore the flaws of such researches, many points are hard to disagree with

Women tend to score high in:

- "Agreeableness (tendency to be compassionate and cooperative)"
                - "60-75% of women prefer feeling"
                - "empathy" (understanding and entering into another's feelings)
                - "Women are inclined to express agreement and support, while men are more inclined to debate."

Another important observation but which needs a reference: "Even though women make a large amount of consumer goods purchases, the driving force behind a lot of those purchases is male desire."

W'Allahu A3lam

Comment

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!!

I'm SO gonna retort - once I have time....

... I'll be back after finals

Comment

You can try!

And all the best with the finals BB!

Comment

...dude, you should read suhaib webb's conversion story - THAT one is intense!
                      I can't seem to find his complete story! Do you have a link to it somewhere?

Comment

First of all - shukran - I studied a lot but I still feel bare ... EVERYONE PRAY FOR ME!!

Second - akhi, I don't need to try because trying is for people who are unsure of success....

Third - Um, no... he came to our masjid last ramadan and told us his story... I don't want to retell it cuz i might make some mistake... but to make a long story short - he used to be a hard core gangsta and became interested in islam when he was about to rob some muslim dude at his store but he saw him praying...

even that tiny summary might have a mistake - i'll see if i can find a link

Comment

Islam - The True Liberator of Women

Comment

I'm back... I'll retaliate as soon as I'm back from the dentists office

Comment

Well yes, and that's why you're more often in a vulnerable situation and become prone to influence.

A strong woman or indeed man are those who can control their emotions. (and it isn't just about crying )
                              Men are better equipped to do that (excluding aggression perhaps), but it's possible for both sexes.

That's why I said "Part of the same reason why..."

Besides, by your logic, does that mean a Muslim woman is allowed to marry a non-Muslim man if they decided not to have kids? Say due to old age or for one reason or another.
                              That's one of the reasons as well. (the kids being non-muslim). Even for the men though- I don't think it's a good idea cuz I have lots of relatives that are Muslim (good ones too) that married Christian women and their kids were Muslim at first, but their mom would like make them wear a cross and stuff. And then they become full on christian - or atheists, cuz they're so damn confused. I also know another guy - same story - and his eldest son who became atheist left the family and wouldn't even come back when the father was dying. The christian wife stayed by him til the end - but against his dying wish, she buried him as a christian.... w/ the church service and all. Screw love, those kind of heartbreaks hurt more.

lol, BB, as long as your observation: "Yeah, men won't be influenced by our views or decisions" stays true, then men, in general, continue to take the lead.

It's not necessarily a bad thing! After all, we are created differently from each other, physically as well as psychologically, for our own benefit! As a result, is it the man's job to protect the woman and ensure equality between the sexes, and the woman has to remain a strong individual, guard her defences and choose wisely her environment. (...and kick the man's bottom if he doesn't do his job properly )
                              I'm glad we see eye to eye on the butt kicking rule

P.S. Check out Gender differences here.

Although, we can't ignore the flaws of such researches, many points are hard to disagree with

Women tend to score high in:

- "Agreeableness (tendency to be compassionate and cooperative)"
                              - "60-75% of women prefer feeling"
                              - "empathy" (understanding and entering into another's feelings)
                              - "Women are inclined to express agreement and support, while men are more inclined to debate."
                              I hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighly disagree with that last point - if that was true then would there be any guys complaining about arguments w/ their wives? NO! It's in our nature to disagree if we feel the need to. And if it's not possible to bang our fist on the table (yeah, cuz we actually think) then we'll show our disagreement in a more sneaky, polite way. Al agreement ou support al.... Maybe in the 16th century .

Another important observation but which needs a reference: "Even though women make a large amount of consumer goods purchases, the driving force behind a lot of those purchases is male desire."

W'Allahu A3lam
                              Well that goes both ways - don't tell me that men buy clothes and shave and go against nature and make themselves smell good for their own pleasure. And not all women have men as there main goal and future -that's only like 60% of us...

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X