Dispatches...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dispatches...

anyone watched tonight's episode? i managed to watch the last bit, where there was a conference about combating terrorism.

that journalist was right though, when the sufi council guy said these are the muslim groups that potentially may drift into radicalisation- the journalist replied - well thats all muslims then! LOL, that sufi council guy is funny, doesn't want to really untangle the issues - but i guess he is right in one sense, we need to rid ourselves of this 'victim' mentality- its no good and not necessary and will never put us back on the right track

i thought the journalist was gonna investigate something a bit more hmmm...how do i say..credible?

I watched it - most interesting...some people are completely deluded!!! They claim the word of god (aka the Koran al Kareem) asks Muslims to terrorise the infidels!! And that it is their duty as Muslims and soldiers of Islam to terrorise non Muslims (harmful or not)...lost interest after that...was a bit ridiculous I have to say
    Nectar77

Comment

Thanks Nectar, I lost interest and I haven't even watched it!

Have they actually read the Qur'an and understood it?! Have they researched about Islamic history at all?! The Prophet's biography?! Anything?!! Unbelievable some people! And funny how these types always get full media coverage

May Allah guide them.

P.S. Welcome back, it's been a while!

Comment

I don't know what show you guys are talking about... but it reminded me of a documentary I saw on the History channel called something like "Uncovering the secrets of the Quran"... From the title alone I could tell that this was going to something that'll anger me/ crack me up...

They had so called "Islam Experts" that said the sa7aba changed the Quran to fit their needs. And, you guys, these "experts" looked like hobo college students in need of a shower!! It amazes me how low these movie makers choose to sink...

Comment

Thanks Shotokan
          Feels better being a member than a mod for some reason!! though not a very active member I will always have something to say

Islam calls for moderation and peace - and that is my motto, which I follow quite moderately and peacefully
          Nectar77

Comment

LONDON, August 8, 2007 (Reuters) - British police said on Wednesday they had made an official complaint to the country's television regulator saying a documentary about British mosques had contained misleading footage.

The Channel 4 Dispatches programme "Undercover Mosque", broadcast in January, purported to feature "chilling sermons" from Saudi-trained preachers which were secretly recorded by an undercover reporter.

"Dispatches reveals how a message of hatred and segregation is being spread throughout the UK and examines how it is influenced by the religious establishment of Saudi Arabia," the programme's Web site said.

The claims were investigated by police in the West Midlands, central England, who found there was insufficient evidence to charge the speakers featured in the documentary, even though they said some of the speeches might be considered "offensive".

Instead, prosecutors said the footage, which provoked anger among Britain's 1.7 million Muslims, had been "heavily edited" and the speeches appeared to be "taken out of context".

"The splicing together of extracts from longer speeches appears to have completely distorted what the speakers were saying," said Crown Prosecution Service lawyer Bethan David.

After their initial investigation, police turned their attention to whether the programme-makers themselves were guilty of inciting racial hatred.

But detectives concluded there was not enough evidence and have made a formal complaint to Ofcom, the television watchdog.

Channel 4 denied any wrongdoing, saying the police had no evidence for their allegations and that it was confident of defending itself against any complaint of unfairness.

The row is the latest controversy to embroil the publicly-owned broadcaster.

In May, it was severely criticised by Ofcom for "serious editorial misjudgement" over its handling of a racism row on last year's "Celebrity Big Brother" show.

In July, a phone regulator imposed a fine on it over a show which asked viewers to telephone to take part in a quiz even though winners had already been chosen.

Comment

Who were the speakers under question?

V

Comment

Ha! Now that's a different story but far from an uncommon one.

Notice it's not until that reportage about the Queen and “phone-ins” that attention was directed to poor editing and false information delivery.

What about all past, present and future news and misinformation that are happily overlooked? Can anyone correct those? Can the damage be undone and honesty restored? Too late for one and very unlikely for the other

Who in their right mind can trust what they are told on TV and other media today without further investigation!

Comment

Originally posted by Nectar77 View Post
                  Thanks Shotokan
                  Feels better being a member than a mod for some reason!! though not a very active member I will always have something to say

Islam calls for moderation and peace - and that is my motto, which I follow quite moderately and peacefully
                  Sounds good to me!

How's your Italian progressing by the way?

Comment

Britons are more suspicious of Muslims than Americans and other Europeans are, according to a poll for the Financial Times.

Only 59 per cent of Britons thought it possible to be both a Muslim and a citizen of their country, a smaller proportion than in France, Germany, Spain, Italy or the US – the other countries polled by Harris Interactive.

British citizens were also the most likely to predict a “major terrorist attack” in their country in the next 12 months; to consider Muslims “a threat to national security”, and to believe Muslims had too much political power in their country.
                    However, on more personal measures of integration – having Muslim friends and accepting the marriage of their child to a Muslim – Britons showed more enthusiasm than some other countries.

The findings suggest that terrorist plots against the UK, including the London bombings of July 7 2005, have hardened British attitudes t owards Muslims. Osama Saeed of the Muslim Association of Britain blamed the findings on what he called “a vicious campaign” by the press against the Muslim community,.
                    Most British respondents – 52 per cent – expected a “major terrorist attack” in their country within a year. Even in Spain where the Basque extremist group Eta has recently abandoned a ceasefire, only 32 per cent predicted a big attack. The numbers fell to 30 per cent in the US and 15 to 18 per cent in France, Italy and Germany.

France emerged as the country most at ease with its Muslim population. The French were most likely to say they had Muslim friends, to accept if their child wanted to marry a Muslim, and to say Muslims in their country had received unjustified criticism and prejudice.

Patrick Weil, political scientist at the University of Paris 1- Sorbonne, said: “In France we are very good at cultural integration. We are very bad in fighting discrimination, especially in high-level jobs. In the UK it is the opposite.”
                    In the US, which has proportionally fewer Muslim inhabitants than France, Britain or Germany, 21 per cent saw the presence of Muslims as a threat, while 20 per cent said Muslims had too much power.

Harris conducted an online poll between August 1 and 13 of 6,398 adults, broadly split among the six countries surveyed.
                    The Harris poll data:

The Financial Times Limited 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Shotokan_Karate View Post
                      How's your Italian progressing by the way?
                      Piano piano
                      Nectar77

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X