Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi!!! New member from Algeria :)

Hi everybody!!!
    I'm an Algerian woman from Algiers I'm 27, married I have a university degree in translation, I worked as a Quality Management Responsible..but I quit
    Actually I'm looking for a job...as a translator...or something else...
    I found this forum by searching for a link for a job...
    I find it very interesting...it's the first time for me to write in English so I'm very glad... I'm looking to improve it...because it's an important skill recruitment nowadays...I feel that I'm not so good in it so it ties me up
    I think that my level is intermediate...do you think that it's good enough to apply....

Sorry for being so long

Thank you in advance

Last edited by Twilight; 14th January 2010, 22:16.

Welcome !

It's nice to have a woman from Algeria.

Comment

Thanks a lot Tipaza
      Why?? There aren't so many women from Algeria in this forum??

Comment

Salam wa mar7aba ya Twilight,

Welcome to Algeria.com, I hope that you'll enjoy your time with us.

Don't worry, there are lots of Algériennes who are members here so you're not an endangered species.

Your inglizi is good. What kind of work are you interested in? 'Pure translation' or any work that involves using English?

Comment

Originally posted by Twilight View Post
          Thanks a lot Tipaza
          Why?? There aren't so many women from Algeria in this forum??
          I'm not sure there are loads of registered women from Algeria .... but I may be mistaken, as I'm quite new too.

Comment

Thanks El-Khiyal
            I already enjoy my time with you
            Ok LOL I wasn't worried...it was just a question LOL
            Not especially translation.. I always wanted to work into my field...but the companies ask for experience and I haven't.. How could you have an experience if nobody wants to recruit you without it...there is also another thing...here in Algeria there is no such a specialized translation In universities...we studied different specialities...depending on the speciality of Professor ...LOL Legal, Political, medical...etc.

Ok Tipaza thanks for you answer, and welcome too

Comment

salaam Twilight and welcome! maash Allah your english is excellent! Im female also but not algerian! I am married to one does that count loool?? Can I be an honorary Algerian ??!!

Comment

Hi Lilly thanks a lot dear you make me blush...It counts of course LOL
                I'm here to discuss with all people not only Algerians
                You can learn some algerians customs of your husband's hometown (particularly cooking if he eats a lot LOL) , because customs are different from place to another...myself I don't know most of them I think it will be good enough for your husband

Comment

Ya Twilight, people from all over the Western world come to the cuisine section here looking for Algerian recipes bil inglizi - you could make a lot of money if you translated recipes into English and published a book

It would not only be welcomed by Westerners - many 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation Algerians born outside Algeria (and women from many nations who are married to Algerians!) do not read Arabic or French......

Comment

OHHH Al-khiyal thank you for the tip I never thought about it...you're so right there aren't english books of algerians recipes..and it will be so great to Algerians born outside Algeria and Westerners to know our culinary heritage...it's so rich and diverse...Delicious too by the way I adore cooking

If your idea will come true by me...I'll send you translated books for free

Comment

And why stop at cuisine, ya Twilight? I would expect that copyright issues would make translations of certain books a little more complicated but there is also, I suspect, a market for books in English on Algerian history and culture that have been written by Algerians, not Western academics or French war criminals.

For example, Larbi Ben M'hidi : L'homme des grands rendez-vous by El-Hachemi Trodi, and other material from that period of history could, if published in English, open up a whole new level of understanding for young 2nd, 3rd, 4th generation Algerians, and re-connect them with the history of their people. All those who have no French or Arabic would benefit greatly from learning of Algeria's history and culture bil inglizi - and publication of such material in English would open a new window on Algerian thought and experience. Why have Algeria 'known' through the filter of outsiders' perspectives when Algerians have already told their own stories? If Algeria wishes to fully embrace its diaspora, then it should assist all its children abroad to learn of their heritage.

Translation for business purposes is another area that could be developed - for example, there should be no Frenchmen acting as 'middlemen' for Chinese businessmen seeking partnerships in Algeria. Algerians can bridge linguistic worlds and don't need those people hanging around any longer

Comment

Yes I thought about it too...we have so many books written by very good writers in the past and the present (Mouloud Feraoun, Mohamed Dib)..and I don't think that they have been translated into English yet....
                        You're right our culture and history is so unknown by Algerians born outside or people whose culture is English...
                        But it isn't so easy to translate books into English (specially literature)...and translation in Algeria isn't so developed as it should be...it's a hard work to do...research work...
                        Literary translation request stylistic skills, a good imagination and extensive cultural knowledge. the translator must have a very demanding training, and academic literary studies in the tongue language into which he want translate.

However,your idea is very good and interesting... it must emerge!!! and I Take it into consideration

Thank you Al-khiyal!!!

Comment

Hello Twilight, and welcome to "a.com"! Your English is very good and you'll do fine here in communicating, as well as in your job search.

As a former business English coach I used to always encourage my students to do two things to develop their English confidence and skills:

1) Get a little notebook and fill 2 pages everyday with thoughts, phrases, ideas and insights. Write in English, but don't worry about using complete sentences or paragraphs or about spelling. The pages should be for your own eyes only and they are a place for you to imagine your future English writing capabilities. For example, on a Tuesday, you might imagine you are an investigative reporter writing about some social issue in Algeria that deeply concerns you, and you would like the English speaking world to know about it. On a Friday, you might imagine you and your husband are traveling in Australia, you meet another couple in a coffee shop, and you are able to describe your neighborhood in Algeria to them.

2) Develop a "3-minute elevator pitch" about yourself and practice, practice, practice it until you can say it nearly from memory, with a smile and real confidence. An elevator pitch is a brief intro of who you are, what your professional skills are, what you're good at, what your interests are, and what kind of job opportunities you are looking for. Imagine you have a chance to meet 5 business leaders at a dinner and they ask each person at the table to "describe your dream job." What would you say to them (in Arabic? in French? in English?). When you spend time thinking about this and preparing your self-intro, the opportunities to share it will inevitably come your way!

There are many opportunities available today in the areas of translation, localization and interpreting. Here are few resources to help you get started in your exploration:

A list of translator and interpreter organizations:
                          Translation Organizations

Resources for searching for jobs in translation:
                          Find a Job
                          Globalization, Translation & Localization jobs in London, the UK, Europe and Worldwide. - GLT Jobs

Have a great weekend!

New_Friend

Comment

Originally posted by Al-khiyal View Post
                            Ya Twilight, people from all over the Western world come to the cuisine section here looking for Algerian recipes bil inglizi - you could make a lot of money if you translated recipes into English and published a book

It would not only be welcomed by Westerners - many 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation Algerians born outside Algeria (and women from many nations who are married to Algerians!) do not read Arabic or French......
                            brilliant reply!! had often needed a recipe book and not having to translate anything from french then into english would be far less taxing for my tired brain!! nice one!

Comment

Originally posted by Twilight View Post
                              Hi Lilly thanks a lot dear you make me blush...It counts of course LOL
                              I'm here to discuss with all people not only Algerians
                              You can learn some algerians customs of your husband's hometown (particularly cooking if he eats a lot LOL) , because customs are different from place to another...myself I don't know most of them I think it will be good enough for your husband

loool thanks a lot he seems to be happy whatever he gets food wise from me but to be able to give him nice surprises would be nice as well!!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X