• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protect your PC against spyware

Downloads to protect your PC

Free programs that can sweep your PC for spyware and remove it:

Spybot Search & Destroy

Lavasoft Ad-Aware Personal

i have spybot, but i feel like after a while it loses it's touch... ... i dunno...

Comment

Coz..thieves are always one step smarter than the police!

Free downloads themselves may contain hacksaw blades.

Comment

What is the best free antivirus software? i'm tired of buying it each year... please tell me

Comment

Free download and regular updates, excellent reputation:

AVG Anti-Virus Free and AVG Anti-Spyware Free is for private, non-commercial, single home computer use only.

AVG Anti-Virus Free AND AVG Anti-Spyware Free

Comment

My vote is for Ad-Aware and Avast, as a second option (the AVG as #1). Once Panda was OK for me, but I simply decide to stop using services / sites that force us to IE, even if I can open an IE Tab in my fav browser.

In any case, I preffer any online virus scanner than a desktop antivirus SW running in the background 24h/7.
            But I recognize that I take more care more of the 'chicken' then enjoy its 'eggs'.
            Sed et tortor vitae turpis blandit fermentum. Integer lacus turpis, sem. Aliquam erat volutpat. Suspendisse a nibh ut dolor facilisis molestie. Sed et pede. Sed vitae leo. Phasellus varius ultricies eros. Sed tempor, metus id adipiscing porttitor, diam turpis tempor eros. Nam id libero ut nisl posuere ultricies. Phasellus sed nibh eget lorem consectetuer tempus. Volutpat.

Comment

Resources from the guru Amit Agarwal

Amit Agarwal [l a b n o l . blogspot.com]:

"Don't Pay For Virus Protection, Get these Free Anti Virus Software"

Free Online Virus Scanners [run inside the web browser to scan your hard drive]

Trend Micro HouseCall - An online virus scanner that's absolutely free and scans your PC hard drive for any sort of viruses or even spyware. HouseCall allows you to remove detected infections. Works with Firefox and IE. Requires Java.

McAfee Freescan - This free virus scanner from McAfee is based on the McAfee VirusScan engine. Requires IE with ActiveX.

Windows Live OneCare Scanner - From Microsoft that cleans your system from viruses and also recommends ways to improve the overall performance. Part of Windows Onecare.

Symantec Internet Security - From the developers of Norton Antivirus 2007 can detect most virus threat but there is no option to delete the virus infected file or repair it. Does not examine compressed files. Requires IE with ActiveX.

BitDefender Online Scanner - Their Free Online Virus Scanner version 8 scans your system's memory, all files, folders and drives' boot sectors - the default options automatically cleans the infected files. Requires IE with ActiveX.

Free Anti Virus Software for Windows [Requires Installation]

Avast! Home Edition - One of the most popular antivirus software, can also be run from Explorer context menu. You can either scan the entire hard drive or selected folders. Ships with an Antivirus screen-saver.

AOL Active Virus - From AOL based on Kaspersky Antivirus that doesn't require an AOL account to download the software. The software can be configure to check only new and modified files thereby reducing the memory requirements. Also support scanning of incoming and outgoing email messages.

ClamWin Virus Scanner - An opensource antivirus software that is great for running routine antivirus checks on your PC. You need to manually scan a file in order to detect a virus or spyware.

AVG 7.5 Free Antivirus - One of most popular free virus scanning software is AVG 7.5 Free Edition (read comments). Initially, there was confusion whether AVG 7.5 would be free like AVG 7.1 but the good news is that AVG 7.5 Free edition is already available for non-commercial, single home computer use.
              Sed et tortor vitae turpis blandit fermentum. Integer lacus turpis, sem. Aliquam erat volutpat. Suspendisse a nibh ut dolor facilisis molestie. Sed et pede. Sed vitae leo. Phasellus varius ultricies eros. Sed tempor, metus id adipiscing porttitor, diam turpis tempor eros. Nam id libero ut nisl posuere ultricies. Phasellus sed nibh eget lorem consectetuer tempus. Volutpat.

Comment

Thank You all very much for the info!

(i had always paid versions of Norton antivirus, each year. for 2006 i got internet-security for free and both were working fine but i know a lot of people use these free ones for 1 single PC and normal internet use.

Comment

Scan a File Using the Top Antivirus Software

If you get a file from a site you don't know very well (like a game or a screensaver), the first thing you should do is scan it using an antivirus. The problem is that your antivirus might not be very good or might not include the signature of the trojan included in the file you've just downloaded. So a good idea is to have a second opinion, but you can't install more than one antivirus (unless you disable the real-time protection).

VirusTotal is a site where you can upload a file smaller than 10 MB and it will be scanned by a large number of antivirus software (the current number is 31), including: Kaspersky, BitDefender, F-Secure, Panda. The file will not be scanned instantly, but you'll have to wait a short time (usually around one minute), depending on site's load.
                  You'll get a report and if you see conflicting responses, look at the most trustworthy engines (some tests) and at the number of engines that report a virus.

The service is available by email too: send a mail to scan@virustotal.com with the subject SCAN. If you use Gmail, you'll have to rename executable files (for example, from setup.exe to setup.ex1) to be able to send them.

A similar service is Jotti's malware scan, that has a bigger limit for the file size: 15 MB, but uses less antivirus engines.

Comment

Originally posted by piccolomondo View Post
                    Amit Agarwal [l a b n o l . blogspot.com]:

"Don't Pay For Virus Protection, Get these Free Anti Virus Software"
                    HI piccolomondo

Thanks for sharing very useful free software, last day i found a virus name "Torajan" and i just installed ClamWin Virus Scanner and relaxed ...

Comment

ooooooooh, someone gave me some really great links - BUT I CAN'T FIND THEM.... i'll post them as soon as I do, though

Comment

Originally posted by jamnaly View Post
                        HI piccolomondo

Thanks for sharing very useful free software, last day i found a virus name "Torajan" and i just installed ClamWin Virus Scanner and relaxed ...
                        I'm happy that you could kill that "Torajan"

Comment

Comment

Recommended by PC World as one of the "15 Great, Free Privacy Downloads," KeyScrambler Personal 2.4.1.1, a browser add-on, protects all your inputs against known and unknown keyloggers in IE, Firefox, and Flock: your login credentials, credit card numbers, passwords, search terms, Java, Flash, PDF Forms, web email, and more.

Comment

October 5, 2009 -- AVG Technologies has made itself into a familiar name on the Internet by giving users antivirus software at a pretty good price: free. That’s how it got 85 million users. Today, the company is announcing that the ninth version of its AVG antivirus software will be available in mid-October. AVG is also announcing today it has received a $200 million investment from TA Associates, a private equity firm, which bought the stake in AVG from current investors. AVG’s newest product runs 50 percent faster than its previous version. And it offers a new way to protect against identity theft, a problem that has been mushrooming in recent years. “We’ve made it faster and easier to install,” said J.R. Smith, chief executive of the company. Now the software takes about 11 mouse clicks to install, compared to 22 before. It’s the little innovations like this that have helped the company snag 40 percent of the worldwide free antivirus software market. The new release can’t come soon enough, though, since Microsoft announced last week that it was going to launch its own free antivirus software, Microsoft Security Essentials. While Microsoft is offering bare bones protection for free, AVG has added a lot of protection over the years through the acquisition of startups.

The question will be who can reach the most people with a free product, and whose works better. The Microsoft product has gotten good reviews so far, though it doesn’t catch everything out there. And while AVG has 27 percent brand recognition among Internet users, Microsoft has a brand that everyone recognizes because of Windows. Fortunately for AVG, Microsoft can’t bundle its free antivirus with its operating system software. Those tactics, which Microsoft used to defeat browser rival Netscape, are now considered anticompetitive. Microsoft can, however, distribute its free antivirus software separately. The new suite of software has basic antivirus protection. But it also includes layers of protections such as a firewall, anti-spyware, and Link Scanner. The latter examines the search results in your Internet searches and tells you whether those links are safe to click. LinkScanner frequently updates its scans of a link; that’s important now because many sites are hijacked and what was a safe site yesterday could be a dangerous site today.

The firewall now works faster because it often acts on its own, rather than asking users if they really want to use a software program that they just clicked upon. After AVG looks for known threats, it enlists help from the cloud, where it taps “behavioral” technology that figures out if a new file or link is behaving in a suspicious way. With such technology, AVG can block a new virus even if that virus isn’t in the known library of viruses. AVG is including identity theft protection, dubbed Identity Guard in the new free version of the software. Victims of identity theft can find help through the AVG software’s security toolbar, which can direct them to identity theft experts, who are available by phone. Those AVG experts can help users obtain credit reports and monitor their accounts. AVG will provide the identity theft recovery process at no cost. The company makes money by selling a paid version of its software starting at $34.99. With that, you get customer support, protection from infections via instant messenger chat, and a “root kit” that can protect against hidden threats. Future expansion areas include offering protection for cell phones and Mac computers. AVG was founded more than 18 years ago. In 2006, the company received $52 million in private equity investments from Intel and Enterprise Investors. Benson Oak Capital also owns about 35 percent of the company. Smith joined in 2007 and the company has managed to fend off challengers and grow its users base 7 percent a year. It now has 550 employees.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X