Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two vehicles found in London packed with explosives, car explodes at Glasgow airport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

see this is what i don't get about our legal system and the officers who enforce the law, we have all this legislation, yet nothing is done about it.

we didn't need any new terrorism-related legislation, because old legislation is already in place that could have been used.

about the peodophiles, legislation may exist - but the police fail to inform the required parties about the convicted person on many accounts, its not just one or two stories, i was tld recently that one guy got relased and the police failed to inform the family and they guy is back in his old community with a school near by, and the police are not too bothered about it all, its seems its on the rise, besides, we hardly ever hear about many of the convictions in the media, because they the media are too busy with suspects, from the muslim kind

Comment

Sorry but you really do hear about paedophiles in the media (I'm against all trials by media incidentally, whether it's paedophiles, Muslims or members of the Tufty Club). And all convicted paedophiles do all have to be on national registers, which no other group of offenders in the UK do. As for housing them near schools, show me a town without a school. Sad but true - unless you're arguing that no-one can ever be rehabilitated who has ever committed such a (vile) offence, then they're going to live somewhere where there are kids nearby. Just like released killers tend to be housed near other people, domestic violence offenders near women, etc.

In any case, it's a distressing fact that the vast majority of child abuse is done by family members and friends, not by strangers in dirty macs.

V

Comment

Originally posted by voltaire View Post
        The issue for me isn't so much about prejudicing the jury; if someone really is swayed by a Daily Express "Evil Muslims" type headline then they were probably already biased anyway. I'm more concerned by the fact that those being questioned were not actually supposed to be on trial at all - at that stage they're witnesses, not suspects.

Perhaps some kind of witness protection whereby the press can't name key witnesses, like the laws around naming minors?

V
        this has happened before and not to muslims... so it's not so much as PREjudices than it is as ANTEjudices (if that makes sense )

Comment

It appears that it shouldn't only be 'Muslim doctors' who are placed under the microscope:

Comment

why doctors??!! WHY??!!

Comment

Melbourne, July 27 (PTI): Australia's prosecution chief today dropped terrorism charges against Indian doctor Mohammed Haneef following a review of the case, more than three weeks after he was arrested in connection with last month's failed car bombings in London and Glasgow.

Twenty-seven-year-old, Haneef, who was arrested on July 2 in Brisbane, was charged with "recklessly" supporting a terrorist group.

Prosecutors withdrew the case against the Indian doctor at a Brisbane Magistrates' court hearing.

The case was reviewed by the Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), Damian Bugg, who said the charges have been dropped because a "mistake" was made in the case.

"On my view of this matter, a mistake has been made and I will examine that, because to me the primary decision to make was to determine whether or not this prosecution was on sound footing or not, I've made that determination," he said at a press conference.

"I'll now take further steps to inquire as to how that mistake occurred," he was quoted as saying by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

Yesterday, the former chairman of the National Crime Authority, Peter Faris, had said the DPP's decision to review the case suggested that the case was about to collapse.

"This is the end of the case against Haneef," he said. "I have no doubt that the reason that (Mr) Bugg has intervened is to find a way out of the impasse that the DPP finds itself in, which is, to put it bluntly, they have no case."

It is unclear what will now happen regarding the cancellation of Haneef's work visa, but his cousin, Imran Siddiqui, who is in Australia to provide him moral support, says the family will fight to clear his name completely.

Sky TV channel here reported that Haneef will be shifted from the Brisbane jail to the immigration detention centre in Sydney, as he had no visa currently. Also, he is most likely to be deported to India, it said.

Bugg said he withdrew the charges because he was satisfied "there was no reasonable prospect of conviction."

"In the magistrate's court in Brisbane, proceedings against Dr Haneef were discontinued on my motion," Bugg told reporters in Canberra.

Haneef was charged with supporting a terrorist group because he gave his mobile phone SIM card to a second cousin, Sabeel Ahmed, an Indian doctor also held in Britain over the failed UK terror plot in July last year.

A Brisbane court had ordered Haneef's release on bail last week, but Immigration Minister, Kevin Andrews, kept him in prison by cancelling his visa on character grounds, based on information provided by the Federal police.

Australian Federal Police (AFP) Commissioner, Mick Keelty, told reporters he would not revise his advice to the minister based on which Haneef's visa was cancelled, saying "the grounds on which the AFP provided advice to the minister for immigration have not changed."

Asked whether the AFP would apologise, he said "the matter of apology to Dr Haneef is not a matter with the AFP."

Bugg refused to step down over the issue. "I don't think I have done anything wrong. I am confident as I said I had in place safeguards. I am still confident about those safeguards," he told reporters.

"To resign when the task I have just performed is still open, is stupid. Do you think I have a view about this task or hide from the fact that someone was charged when I, after examination of matters, was satisfied there were no reasonable prospects of conviction."

"It's a turnaround in the design on the face of it rather than take a decision and not an easy decision to make. I would rather stay around."

The Australian Broadcasting Corporation earlier reported that Haneef's lawyers have vowed to oppose any move to deport the doctor following cancellation of his visa earlier this month.

Comment

Brisbane, Australia (AHN) - The Australian prime minister has blamed the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) for the mishandling of the terror prosecution case against Gold Coast doctor Mohamed Haneef. Charges against Haneef were dropped Friday after the Commonwealth Director of [Public] Prosecutions (DPP) Damian Bugg QC said errors had been made and there was no reasonable possibility of conviction.

However Haneef is not yet a free man as the federal government revoked his visa once he was granted bail by a Brisbane magistrate.

Haneef had been charged with "recklessly" providing support to a terrorist organization after it was established he gave his SIM card to a relative later alleged to have been involved in last month's failed terror plot in the United Kingdom.

However contrary to earlier police reports, the card was not found at the scene of the crime in Glasgow, Scotland but some 300 kms (186 miles) away in Liverpool.

Prime Minister John Howard moved to limit potential political fallout over the affair by placing the blame for the botched case on the Director of [Public] Prosecutions.

Speaking at a news conference Friday in Bali following a meeting with Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, he said,

"Bearing in mind that the detention of the man was undertaken by the police and not at the request or direction or encouragement of the Government, and that the case was prepared and presented by the Director of [Public] Prosecutions, I think that the right thing now is for those two men to explain the process and explain the reasons."

Late Friday afternoon, Minister for Immigration Kevin Andrews said he had agreed to release Haneef into residential detention while he sought advice on the dropping of the charges.

"That means that rather than being detained in immigration custody he will be released into residential detention which means that he can reside at his unit on Queensland's Gold Coast," Mr Andrews said.

Comment

haha... the doctor is freed bas his reputation is so messed up now.... which hospital will hire him now? which sick person will come to him now?

if i were him i'd get surgery, change my name and move to malaysia

Comment

July 28, 2007 -- Mohamed Haneef was due to leave Australia on Saturday night but the Indian doctor's work visa remains cancelled despite a terrorism-related charge against him being dropped.

Immigration Minister Kevin Andrews on Saturday gave the go-ahead for Dr Haneef to return to India but refused to reinstate his visa.

Dr Haneef has vowed to continue to fight to have his visa reinstated in the hope he may one day even return to live and work in Australia, his lawyer says.

Peter Russo said Dr Haneef was "fairly happy" with the outcome and would push ahead with a Federal Court appeal against the cancellation of his work visa, with a hearing due in Brisbane on August 8.

Smiling and giving a thumbs up sign, Dr Haneef was ushered into Brisbane international airport by immigration officials but did not speak to the media.

Accompanied by his relative Imran Siddiqui, Dr Haneef was due to leave on a Thai Airways flight to Bangalore via Bangkok.

Mr Russo said Dr Haneef was not being deported and was leaving Australia voluntarily as he was homesick and pining for his family in Bangalore.

"He's fairly happy, he had a choice of either staying until the (visa appeal) hearing has concluded or go back to his wife and child on a voluntary basis - he chose to go back voluntarily," Mr Russo told reporters at Brisbane airport as he waited to fly out with Dr Haneef.

"Today was not as bad as we anticipated but the difficulty that we face is that he was still restricted and he still wasn't able to be with his wife and child and that is paramount in his mind.

"What's he going to do? Sit in a unit. He's already been in custody for three weeks, he wants to be home, it's a pretty understandable state of mind.

"He really wants to be home and we have to respect that."

The Gold Coast-based doctor was on Friday released from a Brisbane jail after a charge against him of providing support to a terrorist organisation was dropped.

He had been incarcerated since his arrest at Brisbane airport on July 2 in relation to the foiled bomb attacks in the United Kingdom in late June.

Mr Andrews, who cancelled Dr Haneef's work visa on July 16 when a Brisbane magistrate granted the doctor bail, said the commonwealth had no objection to Dr Haneef leaving Australia but would not reinstate his visa.

"The solicitor-general has advised me that despite the charge being withdrawn by the Director of Public Prosecutions, it would still be open to me on the material now available - that is with the charge having been withdrawn - to come to the same conclusion to cancel the visa which I did originally," Mr Andrews said.

"Accordingly I do not propose to change my decision and the commonwealth will continue to resist this appeal in the Federal Court."

Mr Russo said Mr Andrews should immediately reinstate the visa.

"He seems to be the only person in Australia who still thinks Dr Haneef is guilty of something," Mr Russo said in a statement.

He said the priority was to have Dr Haneef's work visa reinstated and clear his name and reputation, as the cancellation could have "serious downstream effects" on his work and travel.

"I understand he might want to return to live and work in Australia one day and he is grateful to Queensland Premier Peter Beattie for working to save his job at Gold Coast Hospital," he said.

Mr Andrews defended his actions, saying he had acted originally on the information given to him at the time by investigators.

"The test I had to apply was, was there a reasonable suspicion that Dr Haneef has or had associations with people engaged in criminal conduct.

"The question therefore is, did I have a reasonable suspicion that Dr Haneef had an association with people engaged in, or accused of being engaged in, the terrorism incident in the UK?

"Based on the information I was provided, I came to that conclusion. The solicitor-general has reviewed all of this and he's said it was open to me in my discretion to come to that conclusion."

The immigration minister said he was also waiting for further advice as to whether he could release the protected information on which he had based his original decision to cancel Dr Haneef's visa.

Dr Haneef's lawyers said immigration authorities made it a condition of facilitating his return to India that he did not speak to the media.

Mr Russo said he would advise Dr Haneef to remain silent until after the August 8 hearing.

"But obviously once he is home, in India, it is up to him and his family to work out what they should do."

Mr Russo said no decision had been made on whether to seek compensation for his detention, but said an apology should be made by someone in government.

Comment

July 28, 2007 -- A majority of Australians disapprove the Howard government's handling of the case of Indian doctor Mohammed Haneef, who has been cleared of charges in connection with last month's failed terror plot in the UK.

27-year-old Haneef gained enormous support from Australians during his nearly four-week ordeal after his arrest in Brisbane on July 2.

Over 68 per cent of Australians voted against the government on its handling of Haneef's case in a poll conducted by the local TV channel 'Sky News'.

It seems Haneef saw the worst and best of Australian justice and attitudes. He was initially held under the new terrorism law and eventually charged for handing over the SIM card.

When a Queensland magistrate granted him bail, Immigration Minister Kevin Andrews revoked his visa on "character" grounds.

Meanwhile, mistakes and discrepancies were discovered in the material relating to the case, and there were leaks to discredit Haneef and a counter-leak by his own barrister.

On Friday, Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions Damian Bugg announced dropping of terror charges against Haneef, who is all set to leave for India on Saturday night.

Comment

August 3, 2007 -- Kafeel Ahmed, the man who set himself on fire after crashing a jeep into Glasgow airport, has died in hospital. The 27-year-old Indian national was one of two men held at the airport after the attack on June 30. Television footage had shown the badly burned Ahmed being detained by police at Glasgow airport.

He sustained 90% burns and had not been expected to survive. He died at Glasgow Royal Infirmary, police said last night. He had been in hospital since the incident.

Bilal Abdulla, a doctor arrested at the airport at the same time as Ahmed, has been charged with conspiring to cause explosions and remains in custody. The pair were allegedly driving a Jeep laden with gas canisters.

Ahmed, from Bangalore, was an engineer with a PhD, and was related to Sabeel Ahmed, who has also been charged in relation to the attempted car bombings in London and Glasgow. Ahmed was also distantly related to Mohammed Haneef, the Indian doctor detained in Australia after the attacks in Britain. Dr Haneef was released by the Australian authorities at the end of last month.

A spokesman for Strathclyde police said: "We can confirm that the man seriously injured during the course of the incident at Glasgow airport on Saturday June 30 has died in Glasgow Royal Infirmary.

"The man died earlier this evening and the circumstances surrounding the death have been reported to the procurator fiscal."

Comment

Judge overturns Haneef visa ban

A court in Australia has overturned a government decision to cancel the visa of an Indian doctor briefly charged over failed bomb attacks in the UK.

The court ruled that the government had erred when it cancelled Mohamed Haneef's visa on character grounds.

Dr Haneef was accused of links with failed attacks in London and Glasgow.

But all the charges against him were dropped after Australia's chief prosecutor reviewed the case and said a mistake had been made.

The BBC's Nick Bryant, in Sydney, says the court's decision will be a major embarrassment for the Australian government.

It first cancelled Dr Haneef's work visa after a magistrate granted him bail, then refused to reinstate it when charges against him were dropped.

Dr Haneef, who has now returned to India, has consistently denied any wrongdoing.

'Wrong test'

At a hearing in Brisbane, Justice Jeffrey Spender ruled that Immigration Minister Kevin Andrews used the wrong criteria when he revoked Dr Haneef's visa.

HANEEF CASE TIMELINE
                          2 July : Arrested in Brisbane
                          14 July : Charged with providing "reckless support" to terrorism
                          16 July : Granted bail, but kept in custody after work visa revoked
                          27 July : Charges dropped
                          29 July : Returns to India
                          21 Aug : Court overturns government visa decision

"The minister cancelled the visa by adopting a wrong criterion; he fell into jurisdictional error by applying the wrong test," he said.

"That error infects the cancellation decision. It follows that the decision must be set aside."

The new ruling does not mean that Dr Haneef's visa will automatically be reinstated. The ruling is suspended for 21 days to give the government time to formulate a response.

Dr Haneef's lawyer, Peter Russo, said that he hoped Mr Andrews would accept the decision with "good grace", allowing the doctor to return to Australia to continue his medical work and training.

There was no immediate response from the government, although Mr Andrews had earlier indicated he would consider appealing.

UK relatives

Dr Haneef had been working at a hospital on Australia's Gold Coast when he was arrested on 2 July. He was held for several days before being charged with giving "reckless support" to terrorism.

A magistrate granted him bail, but within hours Mr Andrews had revoked his employment visa, allowing the authorities to keep him in detention.

When key evidence linking Dr Haneef to the suspects in the UK attacks was found to be flawed, the charges were dropped, but not the visa ruling.

Dr Haneef's defence team has argued that the immigration laws were applied simply to keep him behind bars while the criminal case against him was falling apart.

Dr Haneef is the cousin of Sabeel Ahmed, one of three people charged in the UK over the failed attacks.

Mr Ahmed's brother, Kafeel, was the driver of a jeep which crashed into Glasgow Airport in flames on 30 June. He died from his injuries earlier this month.

BBC NEWS | World | Asia-Pacific | Judge overturns Haneef visa ban

Comment

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X