Mediterranean diet 'can protect against asthma'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mediterranean diet 'can protect against asthma'

5 April 2007 -- A Mediterranean diet rich in fruit, vegetables and nuts can help protect against asthmatic wheezing and other allergic symptoms, researchers have found.

A study of almost 700 children in Crete found that those who enjoyed food such as olive oil and whole grains suffered fewer symptoms.

Researchers asked parents to complete a questionnaire about their children's diet and respiratory problems. They found that eight out of 10 children ate fresh fruit - and more than two-thirds ate fresh vegetables - at least twice a day.

The effect of diet was strongest on allergic rhinitis - which results in a runny or blocked nose - but it also afforded protection against asthma symptoms and skin allergies. The study found children who ate nuts at least three times a week were less likely to wheeze.

Grapes in particular seemed to protect against wheezing and allergic rhinitis. But high consumption of margarine doubled the chances of asthma and allergic rhinitis.

The report stated: "Children in Crete consume high quantities of locally produced fruits and vegetables; regular and frequent consumption may have a beneficial role against wheezing and rhinitis symptoms.

It added: "A high intake of fruit, vegetables and nuts may have a protective role on the prevalence of asthma-like symptoms and allergic rhinitis."

The research, which was published in the journal Thorax, was carried out by teams from the Royal Brompton Hospital, in London; the University of Crete; Venezelio General Hospital in Crete and the Centre for Research in Environmental Epidemiology, in Barcelona.

i used to have asthma when i was little - i guess my Mediterranean diet *cured* me

Comment

I have no doubt that a Mediterranean diet, comprising fresh fruit, veg, fish and olive oil (of course) is nothing but healthy. However many of the studies don't seem to take into account the accompanying health benefits of living in the region, such as fresh sea air and plenty of sunshine.

Comment

@ "fresh sea air"... I can almost smell the saltiness.

The oceans here are too cold and what usually accompanies a whiff of our fresh sea air are closed windows and heavy jackets .

Comment

Are you on the Atlantic coast BB?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X