Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Algerian Wedding

Asalamu Alaykum

Hey people i would love if you could give me more info in regards to ALGERIAN WEDDINGS! i have a feeling that most Muslim countries have similar customs and traditions, but if someone could explain to me do you have different nights, for eg in Pakistan weddings go on from 4-10 days! so i was just wondering what the traditions were etc etc. i once had seen a wedding film from Algeria and the lady changes her clothes at least 20 times, why do they do this..? are the clothes given from her in laws..??

Walaikoum Salam ~ Bambi ~

It’s a shame we don’t have any active Algerian sisters on this forum, who can give you an insight to Algerian weddings. I can only speak as a Moroccan.

You cannot refuse an invitation to a wedding, and many women arrive is such exqusite gowns, 24k gold or pure silver belts, silk, ££££££££ more in jewels, I sometimes wonder if that is why the brides change so much, everyone is so amazingly dressed its unlike letting the western bride be the most beautiful for the event, no wonder the bride changes so many times to be the princess of the night. It can vary on what the bride and groom wears and how many times she changes.

I don’t know what the traditional dress is for Algerian brides are, perhaps the brothers would like to give their input ?

Take care,
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    HOUDA~K

Comment

I can't really speak when it comes to the traditional algerian wedding. It varies depending where you are in Algeria. Don't forget Algeria is 4 times and something the size france!

I can only confirm the changing of dresses x number of times.

When it comes to morroco I can attest to the story about the morrocan belts! they are incredible, they are heavy and pure gold! with wonderful big stones. You shouldn't miss a morrocan wedding for nothing on earth, especially not the food

Comment

Saha ~ Boualem-DZ ~

Granted not all Moroccan Weddings are such rich and fancy occasions. I have seen many beautiful parades for celebrations of weddings with large families walking, riding on donkeys & beautiful music, singing & chanting it is quite and experience.

Moroccan gold belts to wear on top of Moroccan traditional dresses :

Well as for the food, I think Magarba and Jazaerians are simular when preparing foood for guests ~ as it’s a bit like a cremony . The art of preparing it and presenting , oh and not forgetting our hospitality .

This is for the Jazearinas, back fil le bled, does a member of your family comes in with an aiguière, a basin, a bar of soap, and a towel to wash the hands of guests before eating ?

Take care,
        HOUDA~K

Comment

Bambi

Just to give you a quick idea...

Algerian weddings comprise different celebrations on different nights from
          engagement party, through henna night, to Fatiha and wedding celebration
          Although different families celebrate it in different ways, combining two
          of the above in one night for example!

Algerian weddings cost a lot as mentioned in an earlier post and people tend to save for them..

Also, celebrations vary from one part of the country to another...
          I can only speak about what I know of..

During the wedding, the bride gets changed several times and that has become very common,
          it used to be different before when she gets changed about 3 times during the post-wedding day...

A lot of effort goes into preparing for the wedding by both sides,
          and the bride usually prepares lots of traditional outfits and wears them on that day...
          This involves lots of trips to places like

Outfits would include:

In some parts of Algeria, a kaftan although this is not exactly what it looks like
          but the closest I could find...

A traditional dress from Constantine (Fergani)

A traditional dress from Annaba

A traditional dress from Tlemcen (Chedda)

Very common to have embroided velvet...

Another outfit in the Kabilya refion is the Kabyle dress...

More recent celebrations of the wedding party tend to be over in one day, it used to be 3 days before..

It's such a huge topic and to try to explain it to somebody who is not Algerian
          is lengthy so I'd happily answer questions if you have any at my modest level of understanding

Oh and a traditional suit for men from Algiers is something like...

Although they wear a black suit (rarely a different colour) in the wedding!

Take care

Comment

Houda!!

Originally posted by HOUDA-K

It’s a shame we don’t have any active Algerian sisters on this forum, who can give you an insight to Algerian weddings.
            I don’t know what the traditional dress is for Algerian brides are, perhaps the brothers would like to give their input ?
            Patience is a Virtue right?

Comment

Re: Houda!!

Originally posted by amina_imen

Patience is a Virtue right?

Absolutely ~ amina_imen ~

BTW, How’s the work out going ?

Wa Salam

Take care,
              HOUDA~K

Comment

Re: Re: Houda!!

BTW, How’s the work out going ?

Very slow...

Especially with Ramadan and the fast, I didn't go at all

I go on weekends but have just upgraded my membership so that I can use the gym round the corner...literally 2 minutes walk...No excuses for me now

And Your record stands!! (not for long though lol)

[Edited by amina_imen on 30th November 2004 at 23:40]

Comment

Thank you ladies!

I have a fair understanding of algerian weddings as i have seen pictures and seen a film, unfortunately have never been to one!

its quite amazing to see how many times the bride actually changes her clothes, for one wedding film I had seen the bride did not wear any traditional clothes but was wearing all sorts of small dresses which I thought was odd as the room was packed with men!

anyways the outfit that the men are wearing (above) are awesome! do you know if you can buy them anywhere in the UK!? its very similar to traditional outfits that the pataan wear in pakistan!

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Houda!!

Originally posted by amina_imen

Very slow...

Especially with Ramadan and the fast, I didn't go at all

I go on weekends but have just upgraded my membership so that I can use the gym round the corner...literally 2 minutes walk...No excuses for me now

And Your record stands!! (not for long though lol)

[Edited by amina_imen on 30th November 2004 at 23:40]

Salam Amina,

I was viewing Shotokan_Karate’s post in the Sport section “set you challenge”, and knew I had to head back to the gym. I haven’t gone since Ramadan and with the autumn season ~ with all honesty I’m becoming mageza.

Al~humduillah your gym is not far away ~ mine is and I’m not motivated. As for my record, you sure will beat me over the winter blues

Take care,

Wa Salam

Comment

Originally posted by Bambi
                      Thank you ladies!

anyways the outfit that the men are wearing (above) are awesome! do you know if you can buy them anywhere in the UK!? its very similar to traditional outfits that the pataan wear in pakistan!

Sabah el kheire Khoya,

I’m not sure if you can buy the Algerian male attire here in the UK, I assume their only for hire for weddings.

Amina ~ your input required

Comment

Bambi

Originally posted by Bambi
                        Thank you ladies!

I have a fair understanding of algerian weddings as i have seen pictures and seen a film, unfortunately have never been to one!

its quite amazing to see how many times the bride actually changes her clothes, for one wedding film I had seen the bride did not wear any traditional clothes but was wearing all sorts of small dresses which I thought was odd as the room was packed with men!

I am not sure about how genuine the film you saw was, how many times the bride changed
                        outfits?? etc. I know this is different from one family to another let alone from one
                        part of Algeria to another...If I can average out, I would say she would change about
                        7 times. Could be more, could be less!

What do you mean by small dresses?
                        The pictures I posted earlier are the sort of outfits the bride would wear..
                        We don't have traditional small dresses!!
                        Again, you might me referring to the film you saw, and that could've been a family adopting
                        a western lifestyle or something, and not having a traditional marriage...
                        I can't tell!

As regards the traditional outfit for men, I'm not sure where you can get it fron?!!
                        Are you in London? may be Finsbury Park as there are lots of Algerian shops there
                        but if anyone else on this forum knows, I'm sure they'll keep you informed

Take care

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Houda!!

I was viewing Shotokan_Karate’s post in the Sport section “set you challenge”, and knew I had to head back to the gym. I haven’t gone since Ramadan and with the autumn season ~ with all honesty I’m becoming mageza.
                          As you said that "Set your challenge" thread has been quiet for a while...
                          Shotokan isn't around much, must be busy...so till he comes back with his karate-ka
                          skills (I'm scared) I'm taking it easy in the gym...LOL
                          I rarely go apart from on weekends

Comment

Khokom

Actually reading what Houda wrote, it wouldn't surprise me that it is the case,
                            i.e. you can only buy the outfits in Algeria (get them tailored as is the case most of the time).

But I'm not sure really...

Khokom do you know?

Comment

PS Houda

What does mageza mean?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X