No announcement yet.

English women with Algerian men

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have recently spent 2 weeks in Algeria and was worried about the language i know very few arabic words and bit more french but luckily my now fiance was more than happy to help me lol.

im hoping to go visit him and his family again late october, we will be applying to be m arried there and in time hopefully he can come live me and my kids here in the uk

Comment

Knowing some French or Arabic is definately an added bonus. Lucky for me, my husband has a few people in his family who have basic knowledge of English and one of his sister speaks fairly fluently as she is studying the language privately. However, the negative aspect of that is I feel rather lazy in learning Arabic becasue I know that I can rely on my husband or his sister to translate for me but i would love to speak to my parents in-law in Arabic. No matter how much I like and respect his family, the language is always a barrier.

I did take some Arabic classes for some time but I found that it was mostly based on writing and not speaking so i got put off by that. The tutor also kept teaching us vocabulaary that was not relevant or functional, for example, 'Ahmad went to the market.. 'the sun goes around the Earth...' so basically, I can say 'the tea is in the cup' but not 'can I have a cup of tea?!!' LOL

Comment

Embish, that is wonderful news. I hope that all your plans are easy and everything for you is a success. It must be nice to be close enough to make those trips. I'm in Australia...soooo far away.

Muslimah23, language is so important isn't it? I really, really want to be able to communicate with my fiance's Mother and sister in particular, when I do meet them, so I am def. going to attempt French.

Comment

since its gone quiet, i will add my two pence (British to the end :P), my husband is teaching me Berber rather than French or Arabic, which will mean my communication with Arab/French Algerians will be fairly limited but I'll be fine if I'm around his village... and probably best that I don't speak to strangers anyway :P

Comment

Salma, I have two algerian TV channels at home which are on 24/7 at the moment with ramadan. After ramadan I will do my best to really try and learn as much as I can, I know about 35 words at the mo but can't string a sentance together but guess that will come in time. Hope you don't get to confused between your Spanish and French, sure you will get used to it soon.

Embish I hope everything works out with you and your partner. Did you meet your partner in the UK?

Muslimah23 I think the not being able to talk to my partners family is sooo fustrating not just for me but for him too all that translating must get on his nerves haha. Living there defo seams to be the answer but my partners not really up for that, I did suggest it but then again where would we live and where would I work?

Felicity, so how are you getting on with learning berber? My partner tries to show me the difference between Algerian arabic and Berber but it all sounds the same to me

Comment

In my experience you feel like it's just all about building vocab at first, but once you've got reasonable vocab then you've got something to build those sentences with! So don't worry. It can be frustrating in the beginning...but it all comes together if you keep on at it.

My husband is from the capital and doesn't speak berber so I have no idea about it really. It never to ceases to amaze me though how many Algieran's are bi or tri lingual.

Comment

Tasha , we met on internet last november ,didnt get to go until july tho as the kids dad was being a pain about looking after his own kids !!!! hopefully he is having them again october half term happy days

Comment

Originally posted by salma View Post
                  In my experience you feel like it's just all about building vocab at first, but once you've got reasonable vocab then you've got something to build those sentences with! So don't worry. It can be frustrating in the beginning...but it all comes together if you keep on at it.

My husband is from the capital and doesn't speak berber so I have no idea about it really. It never to ceases to amaze me though how many Algieran's are bi or tri lingual.
                  I agree, it's just going to take time (and a lot of it )

My partners also from Algiers but his mum and dad are both Berbers. I have yet to meet an Algerian who only speaks one language

Comment

Originally posted by embish View Post
                    Tasha , we met on internet last november ,didnt get to go until july tho as the kids dad was being a pain about looking after his own kids !!!! hopefully he is having them again october half term happy days
                    Well I really hope everything goes smoothly and you get to go out there in oct. How do your children get on with him? Sorry I am presuming they have met but maybe not. ? What are your thoughts about the country?

Comment

Originally posted by salma View Post

Interesting that I said "my husband' - he is actually only my fiance. Jumping ahead slightly there....

Comment

Well hopefully it won't be long now so you might as well get used to it

Comment

Hi Tasha . Well im returning back to Algeria in October for 10 days. He hasnt met my kids in person yet ! but speaks most days with them via video call or on the phone they all get along great with him,he is more like a father too them all than their own father !!!
                          I was wary about visiting Algeria as there are lots bad things wrote on the net,but i felt very very safe there. The people there are so very friendly,i dont speak arabic i know a few keywords that all.
                          Also the place was much different to what i expected it to be,soo many people much busier than my hometown in UK .
                          Im counting the the days now for my return trip

Comment

Originally posted by Tasha View Post
                            Felicity, so how are you getting on with learning berber? My partner tries to show me the difference between Algerian arabic and Berber but it all sounds the same to me
                            I've not get very far with it so far as I have fallen at the first hurdle at making words fem/mas. My best phrase so far that I've learnt is 'I want fried potatoes' (as I dont really like Algerian food other than that). Yes I saw the similarity between the Algerian arabic and berber at the airport when I was being herded through the final scanning machine, and asked my husband why they were speaking berber in Algiers, and then he explained... the good thing about berber is that you don't seem to have to say please much, just, I want; Give me; and so forth.

On a slightly humorous note, I really like the song 'Babooshka' by Kate Bush, but when I was happily singing away to it on the car stereo while I was over there, my husband pointed out to me that it sounded like I was singing a fairly bad berber word over and over again, so I should refrain from listening to that song whilst there...

Comment

Hi everyone. I am American and I am dating an Algerian man via the internet which I know seems kind of lame to some. We were friends first and now I just think he is absolutely amazing. We have been speaking daily through skype or msn for about 9 months. I converted to Islam about 11 years ago so I understand the religion part but I know very little about Algeria or Algerians. I am trying to learn some stuff. My arabic is pretty bad so I am working on that too. How does Algeria compare to other muslim countries? I know people do not like stereotyping but how are Algerian men in relationships? Is it fairly patralineal? I watched this movie called "Nadia's Journey". Has anyone seen it? It seemed a little unfair to me to characterize the whole country as a society that routinely keeps women prisoner in their homes. Any thoughts?

Comment

Oooo have you met him yet? I have not seen that film, and from the description I think I'll give it a miss. I suppose all men are different... Just looked up the word 'patrilineal' and I wouldn't say so from looking at the example of my husband's family, at least not nowadays.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X