X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jellybee
    replied
    Congratulations on your marriage

My experience of getting married in Algieria was far from romantic (although when I tell people our story they think it is) We had 2 days before my flight home before the Algerian paperwork came through so it was a quick trip to their equivalant of a registrar then dinner with the family and tea and cakes for the extended rellies the next day, then on a plane home by myself!

We were very lucky though in the end. I had to find a new job when I came home before he could apply for a visa. But in the end 2 months later he got his visa no problem (apart from having to make the trip to Tunisia to do it because they didn't have a proper Embassy in Algieria at the time). So were back together in the UK and married less than a year after meeting!

So I wish you all the best in your future

Vx

Leave a comment:

• AMRWM
    replied
    We had loads of different cakes and biscuit things that people brought; they were bnina!! We were eating them all week. It is a good job my husband likes an ample behind as I have no hope of slimming while in Algeria!

Leave a comment:

• BeeMyBaby
    replied
    Just like the little baklawa they give out in boxes and other almondy things. Photos are gooooood, so good for visas and such like too

Leave a comment:

• AMRWM
    replied
    So I have officially been an Algerian wife for a week now!! I put my foot down and only wore one dress (I am spending enough money on visas and flights!) but it was a proper wedding dress. We had a great day but it was certainly very different from UK weddings. Cannot believe how many photos were taken! I am not too sure what you mean by favours. Did I miss out on something exciting??

Leave a comment:

• BeeMyBaby
    replied
    Ah the blood tests, what sweeter way is there than to start married life by checking there's no HIV etc lurking about. If you can please take a picture (or get your photographer to) of your favours from the wedding party and share it with us (I do love the favours...). How many dresses do you think you will be wearing on the big day?

Leave a comment:

• AMRWM
    replied
    Lol!! Knowing what I do about Algerian weddings, I am not too sure there will be much walking down an aisle!!! We are planning to start our romantic day with a trip to the translator's and also the doctor's to get a blood test. Talk about being swept off my feet! We fly out on Saturday so hopefully should be signing papers on Sunday. Think the wedding party will be a few days after that, but I have my dress ready...

Leave a comment:

• BeeMyBaby
    replied
    1 and a half weeks to go, the countdown is on... dum dum didum dum dum di dum....

Leave a comment:

• AMRWM
    replied
    Thanks for the advice, but I am not risking our future together by putting our visa application together myself. We are paying an Immigration lawyer to do it for us. The initial expense is much cheaper than a subsequent appeal!!I am very fortunate as I have my own house and a relatively well-paid, secure job. He is also very well-educated which I am sure will not hinder things! It is really just a matter of time...

Leave a comment:

• BeeMyBaby
    replied
    I know you gave advice which was helpful, I just felt, as I said, your other statement was overly negative. I think the majority of British women would be able to sponsor their husbands as much as a husband could sponsor a wife.

Leave a comment:

• penthesilee
    replied
    dear Felicity
    Sorry you misunderstood my previous message, I did not say it's a a gender discrimination, I said it's difficult for men to get the visa because they have to be able to submit an evidence of how he will fund his stay in UK, unless his wife is able to sponsor him.

And I gave some advice to help...

regards

Leave a comment:

• BeeMyBaby
    replied
    Dear Penthesilee,
    I have been thinking alot about the statement you made, and I really don't think it is correct to say it. I do not believe the UK border agency discriminates on gender, and I think its an extremely negative thing to say, especially as so many British wives of Algerians visit the site looking for advice and I'd hate for them to take what you said to heart. If your friend was refused 5 times, then there is something fundamentally wrong with their application - not because the husband is Algerian and the wife is British.

Leave a comment:

• penthesilee
    replied
    hello
    It's really not easy to get the visa for the husband, it's much easier when the wife is not British and the husband is..
    I know someone who tried 5 times to get it..
    The most important is to make a good and consistant file, not only the marriage certficate, you'll need lot of pics together, and especially in the party.. and you'll need to join the letters or emails or telephone bills, the proof of your contact in a long period..
    all the documents must be translated to English, and in 2 copies, even the pictures ( you can put only photocopies of pic)

And you need to add everything about you, it's better to have a house, and bank statement of at least 6 months, his bank statment too, you both must somehow prove that your husband will not need to recourse to public funds..

Good luck and congrats
    Last edited by penthesilee; 7th October 2010, 15:23.

Leave a comment:

• BeeMyBaby
    replied
    At the time that my husband went, they only let British people in, I presume due to terrorism fears.

Leave a comment:

• AMRWM
    replied
    Now I am really curious - why wouldn't they let him in?!

Leave a comment:

• BeeMyBaby
    replied
    We did lodge the marriage certificate via the British Embassy in Algiers, so I'm not really sure how the GRO thing works, but I do know your husband to be could always lodge it without you there if you didn't have time, even though it is unlikely they would let him in the actual embassy...

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X