Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who are the Moors?

Any Idea..s

Who were they? They must have been somebody. They were in Spain for nearly 800 years and finally got kicked out in the same year Columbus sailed the ocean blue.

??

http://herso.freeservers.com/ebooks/moors.pdf
    A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
    By: George Bernard Shaw

Originally posted by FORTUNATO
    Any Idea..s

Who were they? They must have been somebody. They were in Spain for nearly 800 years and finally got kicked out in the same year Columbus sailed the ocean blue.

??

http://herso.freeservers.com/ebooks/moors.pdf

Well, according the the wikipedia, the Moors were the medieval Muslim inhabitants of al-Andalus (the Iberian Peninsula including the present day Spain and Portugal) and the Maghreb and western Africa, whose culture is often called Moorish. In general, a Moor was an Islamic conqueror in Europe. The term derives from the Phoenician and Greek name Mauri, applied to the inhabitants of Mauretania (centered on modern-day Morocco, not Mauritania.) The Moors were mainly comprised of Arabs, Berbers, Ethiopians and a mixture of the three.

The term Moors is also used to refer to the main ethnic group inhabiting modern-day Mauritania, who - like the historic Moors - are of mixed Arab-Berber-Ethiopian origins.

Since the Arabs, Berbers and Ethiopians were darker-skinned than most Europeans, Maure or 'Moor' came to be applied indiscriminately by Europeans to Muslims, North Africans, Saracens, Persians, Indians, and even southern Filipinos (Moros). Shakespeare's Othello was 'the Moor of Venice.'

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moors
    Nectar77

Comment

Didn`t Algeria also called "Cesarian Mauritania" before punic war(s)?
      Aren`t Algerians also a Moors?

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Comment

Didn`t Algeria also called "Cesarian Mauritania" before punic war(s)?
        Aren`t Algerians also a Moors?

Well we have proof of Moor presence all over algeria, as even the Casbah is built with a moorish style and "Notre Dame D'afrique" as well. I wouldn't say that I was a moore (as an algerian) but yes the moores are North Africans..so in essence we used to be...I guess!

Let me do some research!
        Nectar77

Comment

Originally posted by Nectar77

Let me do some research!
          Go ahead buy a good book and share with us all

Comment

Go ahead buy a good book and share with us all
            You'll be waiting a long time , It's too hot Fortunato, I seriousely cannot be bothered to do any work today....I just want to sleep and be fanned (with a fan ...)

Maybe when it gets cooler...
            Nectar77

Comment

Originally posted by Nectar77
              You'll be waiting a long time , It's too hot Fortunato, I seriousely cannot be bothered to do any work today....I just want to sleep and be fanned (with a fan ...)

Maybe when it gets cooler...
              Saha Nectar

Have a Good sleep and have a FUN, or be FANNED , shall I wait for winter, or would be too freezing than.....

Comment

Saha Nectar

Have a Good sleep and have a FUN, or be FANNED , shall I wait for winter, or would be too freezing than.....
                Yeah...maybe in September...do you know it's going to get hotter tomorrow, 37 degrees in London! ouch....more fanning required I think
                Nectar77

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X