No announcement yet.

What's the meaning of the name Mourad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the meaning of the name Mourad?

Would someone please tell the what the name Mourad means I would be very thankful!

If i am not wrong i think "mourad" or "murad" means the goal or the objectif, i guess its origin is turkish not arabic, may be someone else can correct me if i am wrong

-----------------------------
    Je suis Algérien dans le verbe et dans le geste, je suis Algérien dans mes colères et dans mes douceurs, je suis Algérien et je le reste.

Comment

Meaning of Murad

Murad stems from the verb in Arabic "Arada" which is equivalent of "to want" or "to like" in English.
      So Murad means "someone who is wanted or liked".
      Hope it helps

Comment

Mourad means "wish". In my language we often say "i have mourad..." meaning i "wish". Yes, agree, origin is arabic. Very nice name, i like it.

Comment

Re: Meaning of Murad

Originally posted by Phenix
          Murad stems from the verb in Arabic "Arada" which is equivalent of "to want" or "to like" in English.
          So Murad means "someone who is wanted or liked".
          Hope it helps

In my opinion the above was the best description of the word mourad so far. Correct "Al" Mourad as it was pointed stems from arabic "Arada"/"Irada"/"Mourad", this can be translated into to "wish" "the will" and "the desired", the last word can suggest a person, an objectif or any thing that can be desired. That is why I would beleive that Al-Mourad would be best translated as "the desired" in the sens of "the beloved"

Comment

Originally posted by yazza2
            Would someone please tell the what the name Mourad means I would be very thankful!
            in Fortunato understanding of Murad = the Achievement or the goal

F.
            A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
            By: George Bernard Shaw

Comment

While we are on the explanation of names - can someone please explain to me what, if any the meaning is behind the name 'Larbi'. Is it a family name or a first name?

Many, many thanks!
              Ruks

Comment

Thanks for the explanation

I have always understood my name to mean 'the one who is wished for' - a pleasant surprise for my parents after 5 daughters!

No disrespect to the females on this site.....

Ruks - Larbi is a first name. Not sure what it means though.

Comment

Salam, Hi all,

I think Larbi is short for El Arbi, meaning the arab one. It is the name of a famous Algerian Martyr, Larbi Ben Mhidi.

Mourad_A,

Just between brackets, I dont know if you;ve noticed it or is it just me, sooo many families have more daughters than sons. This is the case of 4 out of 5 families I know.

Khokom.

Comment

More daughters than sons...

Azul Kho

I think there is a 'natural selection' reason for this....

Where nutrition levels are low, more females survive as the X chromasome 'outperforms' the Y. This has enabled the survival of the human species. Why should this be? The answer is 'genetic-advantage'.

Say for example, one man has 4 wives. Each wife has the potential to produce one healthy live baby per year approximately .... However, the man has the potential to produce 4 healthy live babies per year approximately, with these wives......

So, in very ancient times of the hunter-gatherer (before humans became farmers) there was unpredictable food supply. The human population needed a higher number of females than males, or it would have died out, because the female is the 'limiting-factor' reproductively speaking.

In modern Western societies where nutrition is good, an equal number of male and female babies are born, and survive, as there appears to be no 'genetic advantage' to having more males than females in a population.

In recent history, when territory was in short supply (a physical disadvantage) and had to be constantly defended, societies preferred sons to daughters. During these times (e.g. 5,000 years ago), the humans compensated for this, by investing in sons (feeding them better to make them strong so they could fight the invaders better), and sometimes killing off their daughters......

[Edited by Mourad_A on 25th November 2004 at 23:34]

Comment

LARBI BEN M'HIDI

SALAM FOLKS,
                      I love this man and for me he does represent the true hero.
                      If anyone feel the same please post your comment.
                      salam alikum.

Comment

Re: LARBI BEN M'HIDI

Originally posted by bahoss
                        SALAM FOLKS,
                        I love this man and for me he does represent the true hero.
                        If anyone feel the same please post your comment.
                        salam alikum.

Indeed he is a real hero. They told him aren't you ashamed for sending people to plant bombs in coffe shops. He said listen give us you airplanes and tanks and we will give you our "Couffins" in which the bombs were hidden. La guillotine got the best of him, but as you said, he's a tru hero alongside Ali La Pointe, Hassiba Ben Bouali Le petit Omar, Didouche Mourad, Zighout Youcef, Colonel Amirouche etc.....

Comment

My last name is "Merad" which . I was told. is from Mourad. Ever heard of my name before...it's so hard to search the past.....

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X