Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with a surname

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Help with a surname

    Does anyone know the meaning of the surnmae Memeri/ Mameri
    Other spellings in my family are Maamery and Mamerri

    I've been given different info

    A)It's an Amazigh name?
    B)It's derived from the French surname Memery/ De Montbrai (Normandy)
    C)It's from the Arabic word Memari- meaning 'architect'

    Any help would be greatly appreciated, I don't know the original spelling.


  • #2
    Wow!!! It's my mother's maiden name.
    How's your cousin's name spelt?
    Where are they from ?

    As far as I know most of the family were in Algiers, and I have been told a few in Oran.


    [Edited by Little_Mem on 23rd November 2004 at 05:22]

    Comment


    • #3
      Genia-logy

      Originally posted by Little_Mem
      Does anyone know the meaning of the surnmae Memeri/ Mameri
      Other spellings in my family are Maamery and Mamerri

      I've been given different info

      A)It's an Amazigh name?
      B)It's derived from the French surname Memery/ De Montbrai (Normandy)
      C)It's from the Arabic word Memari- meaning 'architect'

      Any help would be greatly appreciated, I don't know the original spelling.

      Hello All a), b), c) could be correct

      a) We have a great writer named Mouloud MAAMERI from Algeria in the region of Kabylia

      b) you said it

      c) Miamari, mean architecs, but it also mean one "Seetler", who come from Europe to seatle in Algeria, during the Political French Influence to fill Algeria with Europeeans

      F.

      A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
      By: George Bernard Shaw

      Comment


      • #4
        Salam,

        Thankyou to you both,
        I've searched the internet about Mouloud Maameri, really interesting, thanks Fortunato.

        [Edited by Little_Mem on 24th November 2004 at 05:25]

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Genia-logy

          but it also mean one "Seetler", who come from Europe to seatle in Algeria, during the Political French Influence to fill Algeria with Europeeans

          F.

          [/B][/QUOTE]

          Un "pied noir"? I've been given some info regarding a transportee from France in the 1800s by a friend hmm, interesting...but don't know if he was anything to do with my family.
          However my male cousins (due to high testosterone levels) are also doing a very good job at filling Europe with little Algerians (LOL!!!!) What goes around, comes around, as they say....CHEERS!

          [Edited by Little_Mem on 24th November 2004 at 20:53]

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Genia-logy

            Originally posted by FORTUNATO

            ... Hello All a), b), c) could be correct

            a) We have a great writer named Mouloud MAAMERI from Algeria in the region of Kabylia

            b) you said it

            c) Miamari, mean architecs, but it also mean one "Seetler", who come from Europe to seatle in Algeria, during the Political French Influence to fill Algeria with Europeeans

            F.

            [/B]
            As you said FORTUNATO all 3 could be correct, I would disagree with the 4th variation you gave it if thats ok, as the colon would be called in fos-ha, "MOUAAMIR", for it to turn into "MOUAAMIR-I" is quite a grammatic twist, which makes me doubt about the last streach from "MOUAAMIR-I" to "M'AAMMR'I". But its not impossible.

            If I look at the derja, then "MAAMER" means full or plenty, as in rich and wealthy. But I wouldn't bet on that thats was the root for the name. On the other hand, since there doens't seem to be any clear cut on this thread as to which name, then I think the girl gets to choose which one suits here best. I would pick the Architect, but thats not my choice to make

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Time_Bomb
              Originally posted by Little_Mem
              Wow!!! It's my mother's maiden name.
              How's your cousin's name spelt?
              Where are they from ?

              As far as I know most of the family were in Algiers, and I have been told a few in Oran.


              [Edited by Little_Mem on 23rd November 2004 at 05:22]
              i think it is spelt mammeri, but im not 100% sure, she lives in Blida but i think the family are probably from Algiers!
              This is cool, I wonder if we're related in any way ?

              Comment


              • #8
                Sorry Little_Mem for calling you the "girl", I just didn't remeber who posted the question first

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Boualem-DZ
                  Sorry Little_Mem for calling you the "girl", I just didn't remeber who posted the question first
                  Salam, that's OK, I've been called MANY worse names than this before HEHEHE!

                  Take Care!!

                  Thankyou for your info

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Re: Genia-logy

                    [/B][/QUOTE]

                    As you said FORTUNATO all 3 could be correct, I would disagree with the 4th variation you gave it if thats ok, as the colon would be called in fos-ha, "MOUAAMIR", for it to turn into "MOUAAMIR-I" is quite a grammatic twist, which makes me doubt about the last streach from "MOUAAMIR-I" to "M'AAMMR'I". But its not impossible.

                    If I look at the derja, then "MAAMER" means full or plenty, as in rich and wealthy. But I wouldn't bet on that thats was the root for the name. On the other hand, since there doens't seem to be any clear cut on this thread as to which name, then I think the girl gets to choose which one suits here best. I would pick the Architect, but thats not my choice to make [/B][/QUOTE]

                    Saha Boualem-Dz

                    Yeah, the world when translated, do not translate the accent anyway, "the plein" "architects" etc....is possible

                    But do you happen to know that there are in Algeria a branch of peoples who call them self "ouled sidi maamar"?
                    The particularity of this ppl that every person related to them are called "Maameri" they have a special retual for marriage, also a special request if they mary with someone not from "branch"

                    They are from Tenes to cherchell on the coast

                    F.
                    A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
                    By: George Bernard Shaw

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Little_Mem

                      Originally posted by Time_Bomb
                      ask your mum if she is related to a Hamed or Mohamed Mammeri who lives in algiers, i think he works in a big hotel there!
                      She doesn't know, we don't know that much about our Algerian relatives I'm afraid (a bit of troubled family history and severed relationships in our past...)

                      Comment

                      Unconfigured Ad Widget

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X