Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to know more about Algerian men

Hi there,
    As this is my first posting... I hope that there will be someone out there who is kind enough to tell me more about the algerian men in terms of 1)relationship 2)religion 3)culture 4)attitude & behaviour. I recently got to know an algerian guy... he is very secretive about whats he is doing and im not too sure if he really likes me. i also find him weird and funny sometimes. well, this guy is mysterious... i cant really read whats in his mind most of the time.

Thanks!

Algerian men

I am married to an Algerian man (I'm English),expecting first baby soon. Your comment on your friend being secretive rang a loud bell!But don't be too worried by this.Algerian men are secretive, moreso with people from there own country than foreigners, when they can be more forthright and open. It can take a while for them to trust you,particularly if they have been fed horror stories of foreign women.
    Algerian men like decent,respectful women who don't show their bodies of as though they were at a meat market! My husband said that his interest in me was ignited not when he saw that I had beautiful eyes or that I had a nice physique but when I told him that I did voluntary work at a soup kitchen for the homeless!
    If you met an Algerian man in a bar/club I would seriously question his intentions as I doubt if he seriously wants an appropriate relationship.On the other hand I would suggest that if an Algerian man wants to find a nice foreign wife he should also not look to these places, as I suspect he will be disappointed.
    Algerians are usually very family orientated and their religion is Islam. Our religions are different but this has never been an issue for us-it might be different for others though.
    My husband has always been a true gentleman in every sense of the word and this has never altered in all the time I have known him.As far as my mother is concerned he can do no wrong!
    There are good and bad apples in every culture/country but my experience has been positive.
    Tracey

Comment

Iam also married to an algeria man and i'm english what Tracy said is right. I met my husband in a club it was the 1st time i'd gone to one! He said he was attracted to me because i was the only one that was not showing off my body and he could see that i was different and not going after men. Said he watched me for a long time and when men would talk to me i'd walked away not interested in them. Later when he came over to talk to me (i can remember it well.)he said please don't walk away can i ask you a question he asked me why i was pushing the men away i said they are only after 1 thing and i'm not into that. told him it was 1st time in a club and that i didn't really like it. he asked why i was not dressed like the other women and i said i don't show off my body and don't know why i shouldif they don't like it thats there problem. Thing went from there and we started seeingeach other and after 2 years we got married and now have been married for just over a year.
      I found algerian men are private and it takes alot for them to open up and it does take alot for them to trust anyone.
      The one thing i would add to tracy's post is that they expect complete honesty from their wives.
      Ann

Comment

To Yazza2

Ann,
        nice to know another Englishwoman who has married an Algerian.When will you convert-have you decided?
        Perhaps I would have if I had been younger but a person gets set in one's ways after a time.

Have you ever visited Algeria? I would love to go and visit his mother and family but am very wary of the situation there.

Tracey

Comment

I have visited algeria last summer and loved it. I am going to convert. not sure when. i have trouble with wearing hibjab but when i was over there there was hardly and one who covered it seems mostly the old who do this. Here wear i live in a villiage i would be the only muslim woman so wearing hibjab would draw attention to me and it say that women should not draw attention to herself so i am confused on this!! I am 37years I hope you will be able to go to algeria it is a wonderful place. I hope to again next year.. the people were really friendly to me.

Comment

A word of advise to you both

I am so shocked at the newly convert! You always talk about Hijab well, let me tell you that as a young lady who lives in Algiers I do not wear one and nor does my mom or grand ma. I am sick and tired of the whole misconception and the people who think hijab is a short cut to heaven. I have seen many so called Hijab wearers who did things I can never even think of and you just have to go around stade 5 juillet and see them kissing and holding hands with their boyfriends. They use parks, ancient ruins and many visitorsEsights to kiss and hold hands. I do not wear hijab but will not kiss or hold hands in a public place as a respect for my country traditions, my reputation and my family honors!

So please convert in your heart and keep your faith between you and god. Islam is a religion that does not allow bousting or showing off! Islam is about been discreet and doing good deeds!

I'm 23 years old, I live in Algiers, and love it here !

Comment

Thank-you for your advice. I saw with my own eyes while I was there what you said about the parks etc; and I agree with you and I don't don't kiss etc in public my husband even here in the uk I have too much respect for myself and my husband. Your advice about hibjab I found good as was always confused on this. Iam converting because I feel in my heart it is right and true. I am not converting for my husband as I feel this would not be a true convertion. Convertion has to come from the heart. I started reading and learning about Islam before I even met my husband. He was abit surprized when he told he was muslim and didn't back away and knew a fair bit about Islam. As most english haven't got a clue and tend to be afraid of it.
              Thank-you again
              ANN

Comment

Hi,

I am also married to an Algerian man...two months!! I am North American. I have not been to Algeria yet. We went out for two years before we were married. Tradition and culture are very important to Algerian men. My husband would not go to my parents house when we were dating as he did not think it was right...so my parents were surprised when we met with them to tell them we were getting married. I am not muslim - he is. Like everyone else mentioned the modesty is a very big thing...my husband was attracted to me as when we were introduced I smiled at him and then averted my eyes.

My husband also keeps things close to his chest and doesn't really express what is goign on.

Comment

Cheers!

Hi, I’m really glad that everyone here is willing to share his or her own experience with me. Thank you J I really do appreciate it. My main concern with this guy is that I do not know what he is up to. I hate it so much when he wants me to pay him for teaching me how to play tennis. Oh well, not just playing tennis that I have to pay but to learn his language as well! That’s good enough to piss me off completely. I mean you don’t really ask for money when you’re offering your help right? Another annoying thing is that he pick his nose or if not his teeth right in front of me when he talks to me. Then again, sometimes he is good to me and sometimes not very much depends on his mood on that day. He always want me to listen to him doesn’t matter he is in a right or wrong and how can this be? Also, when I have problems, he is not there to listen simply because he is not interested. And then again, there’s no sharing. He don’t always share with me what is in his mind. To be honest, I’m not interested into his guess-playing-games as I’m too tired having to guess all of the time. I don’t think I have enough of freedom when with him, more like a bird in the cage. His is older than me 5 years and one thing for sure is that I’m not willing to convert to Islam as I was brought up with my own religion which I love most. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying Islam is no good. He is good looking and have a nice body but this is not what I really want in a guy as I prefer him to have a good personality instead. One thing good about him is that he doesn’t smoke, drink or gamble.

Whatever that is, I’m happy for Tracey, Ann and La_Papillon for their happy marriage with their Mr Right. Hope things go well and all the best. Is sad to tell, but I don’t think he is right for me as both of us are very different and we don’t think the same. He won’t mind that but I do mind. I’m willing to give up on him-dump him in the bin. What do you think?

Comment

To Zanariah

Just read your recent message. Can undertand your doubts about relationship- alarm bells would be ringing for me if I had met someone similar,though I don't think this is purely down to the fact that he is Algerian.
                    The things that you describe- if he were from my own country/culture alarm bells would be ringing.My husband wasn't as you described your friend at all. A real friend doesn't 'charge' you for being helped, and will show an interest in your problems.
                    Life is too short to waste it on people who don't appreciate you!

Tracey

Comment

I totally agree with Tracy. My husband always good to me. Alarm bells would be ringing very loud!! The way he is acting has nothing to do with him being Algerian. You get good and bad in every culture.

Comment

Zanariah,

I have to agree with the two previous ladies. This man is no good. I don't know of any Arab man that would ask a woman outright for money - I know my husband has problems asking me if he has run out & I am his wife. If he was seriously interested in you he would be happy to teach you things as a wya to get to know you and develop a relationship and would not demand repayment.

My Wali told me that it is better to marry a non muslim man than a bad muslim.(and he was saying that to me as a non muslim woman thinking of marrying a muslim man) My Wali also told me if I marry a man that is serious in his deen I would never find a better husband. Just because a man claims a religion doens't means he is a good person. So just because your friend doesn't drink or gamble isn't necessarily an indication of his goodness.

Anyway, best of wishes as ultimately you will have to decide
                        what is best for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Gardenia
                          I am so shocked at the newly convert! You always talk about Hijab well, let me tell you that as a young lady who lives in Algiers I do not wear one and nor does my mom or grand ma. I am sick and tired of the whole misconception and the people who think hijab is a short cut to heaven. I have seen many so called Hijab wearers who did things I can never even think of and you just have to go around stade 5 juillet and see them kissing and holding hands with their boyfriends. They use parks, ancient ruins and many visitorsEsights to kiss and hold hands. I do not wear hijab but will not kiss or hold hands in a public place as a respect for my country traditions, my reputation and my family honors!

So please convert in your heart and keep your faith between you and god. Islam is a religion that does not allow bousting or showing off! Islam is about been discreet and doing good deeds!

I agree with you there,and God knows how many men do go for Hijab wearing women not knowing who they really are!

Comment

Originally posted by Gardenia

hi gardenia,
                            i am algerian too, but i have been living in london for 5 years, so i kind of grew up here (im only 22 now) but i keep close contact with my relatives left in algeria. well let me tell you well done for your comment, i totally agree with you because i am on the other side, in england, seeing foreign women who married algerian men and most of them concentrate on wearing the scarve (hijab), making babies and being good mothers, forgetting the most important things, being a professional woman and somebody useful to this society. i do not blame these women because i think their husbands gave them the wrong idea about what an algerian woman should be. their husbands are giving them examples of their mothers, who are old house wives, their husbands are not usually engineers, doctors, architects...etc and therefore, they do not know what a professional woman is. these women they might say they are working, but doing what? if it wasn't for paying the rent and all other bills, they wouldnt even work. these foreign women only take jobs which do not require higher education, and which are not generally in big companies (appologies for the exceptions though) but only take jobs with limited requirements for academic knowledge and professionalisme.
                            anyway, this thread is about men, not women, so i think algerian men have only 2 categories: those educated, from good well known families, who have an aim in their lives, and are usually proper gentlemen, very respectful, and very open minded. the second category, is common people, just as in the UK you have the non highly educated mid class men, and they share similar profiles, no proper ambitions in life, except having a beautiful wife (no matter what they made you think, these guys look at the look first!) and having a child who can keep their name and enough money to buy a house and eat.
                            now, it depends on the woman really, how do you want your algerian man to be? you can model it as you want, make him a gentleman if he has the pre-requestics, or let him be a giza if he is a common person.
                            one more remarque, algerian men are far from being religious, they have sex and drink alcohol whenever the opportunity comes and then once married, pretend to be religious. well i dont blame mistakes, but i think when these men came to europe, they were mature enough to know what s halal and what s haram, so if they chose to take the haram once in their lives, they might do it again.
                            finally, my personal opinion is that i would only marry an algerian man, weld blady (son of my country) let s just hope he is from category 1, which is the gentleman who would complete what im building in my life, and who would be both open minded and a good soul.
                            good luck to all of us
                            Miss NinaGucci says: The Grass is Always Greener on The Other Side Of the Fence

Comment

Originally posted by NinaGucci
                              one more remarque, algerian men are far from being religious, they have sex and drink alcohol whenever the opportunity comes and then once married, pretend to be religious.
                              May be u could avoid the generalisation...

My 2 cents, being good mothers and offering good education to their children is just another way for a woman to be useful to the society... See what's happening in DZ, I am all worried when I see how today's children behave... Some mothers (and fathers) are not doing well with children education and are thus threatening our future in all aspects....

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X